YT Industries

June 30, 2017, 4:12 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Still haven't heard back from YT Canada, but the E*13 guys replied within an hour.  You're really on your own when you buy from YT.

That's pretty disappointing. Not being able to get spare parts when needed would make me think twice about getting a YT.

In contrast, Commencal in Squamish has been able to quickly help me any time I have needed a small part. I can't recommend them enough.

July 2, 2017, 10:40 p.m.

Relacing the spokes on the rear non-drive side wheel has stopped the shitshow.

Seeing as YT Canada has seemingly ceased operations, I'm hoping E*13 will throw me some spokes and tape even if they shouldn't be on the hook for it in this instance.

I managed to snap one of them with a quarter turn tighter while in the trying stand. They were bound up like nothing I've seen before.

On a separate note, burnt through the rear brake pads in two weeks. Fortunately TRP uses Saint M810/Zee pads so I'm hoping the replacement will last longer. I ride a lot, but have never burnt through a set of pads this fast.

July 3, 2017, 1:43 p.m.

Kind of glad they were sold out of small Jeffsey CD Two 27s when I was looking for a new bike. Sounds like a lot of hassle and headache so far. Hope they get the issues with their Canadian distribution sorted soon.

Last edited by: rasheed on July 4, 2017, 11:13 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 3, 2017, 10:03 p.m.

I got next day reply from JM.

July 3, 2017, 10:17 p.m.

For sales or post sales support.

July 5, 2017, 4:01 p.m.

Finally heard back from YT, however E*13 has already shipped out replacement parts.  They've gone above and beyond in my opinion.

Their DH carbon rims are turning out to be the real deal.  Lost a few more spokes on my way down No Joke to Drop in Clinic (which is a very high speed, very mean landscape for rims).. I swore I snapped the fucker given the hits it took but it is holding up like a champ.

July 6, 2017, 12:37 p.m.

apparently some shipments headed to Canada getting sent to the good ol USA instead.

July 6, 2017, 1:38 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Finally heard back from YT, however E*13 has already shipped out replacement parts.  They've gone above and beyond in my opinion.

Their DH carbon rims are turning out to be the real deal.  Lost a few more spokes on my way down No Joke to Drop in Clinic (which is a very high speed, very mean landscape for rims).. I swore I snapped the fucker given the hits it took but it is holding up like a champ.

So you are snapping spokes instead of the rim taking a beating? is this a trait of carbon rims on a dh bike? Think I'd rather stick with a slightly flexy but more forgiving wheel.

July 6, 2017, 2:57 p.m.

I think it's the underage Chinese child who built the wheel.  The spokes I've replaced have worked fine.

July 7, 2017, 1:42 a.m.

Bummer to hear of lacking customer support in Canada. Over here in Germany YT is really quick, helpful and straight forward with after sales service, a lot of my friends are riding their bikes and I've yet to hear one bad story. Among the direct to consumer brands they seem to be among the best regarding service, in Germany. 

Canyon however is severely lacking in this department (in Germany). The bikes are top notch, value is great and I love how my current Canyon bike rides. I'd be extremely hesitant to buy one again though, because of all kinds of struggles regarding spare parts (buying or trying to buy them, not "free" warranty stuff).

I don't know if direct to consumer and distribution to a foreign country with tax and duties really works?

Maybe conventional LBS brands could flourish again if they streamlined and focused their lineup really clever, like the clever direct brands do?

Not seventeen models and spec levels in garish colors every 12 months, but just three? I'd imagine that to be a lot more efficient for all participants.

July 16, 2017, 11:01 p.m.

Now spokes I've replaced are breaking on the rear wheel.  Granted, it's a fucking Frankenstein.  I need to rebuild it from scratch to conclude it's E*13's fault.

I just put my old i9 wheel on the bike.  If it starts snapping spokes, then it's somehow the bikes fault (or the shock).

I ate through my front brake pads.  TRP might be making their brake pads out of vegan thoughts.  Thank god they chose the same pad shape as Zee/Saint m810.

Lots of big nasty rocks hitting the bike on expressway between 7 Year War and No Joke.  I've yet to see any marks.

My SRAM derailleur hasn't come loose once on this bike.  However, the b-limit screw does not stay put and I've broken one already.

After about 20 days of park riding (say 200k of vert), this bike is the real deal so far.  Just make sure you know how to wrench.

July 16, 2017, 11:23 p.m.

E.13 was able to save 34g by using aluminum nipples on that wheel set though.

July 18, 2017, 9:09 a.m.

Posted by: grambo

Thanks ReductiMat for the tip on the fork. I had my bike at the mechanics (cuz I suck at stuff) and he cracked the Pike and it was "very dry", so he topped up oil and soaked foam rings. Definitely worth the $35. No idea why manufacturers do this on new forks, planned obsolescence/premature wear for servicing?

Had a quick rip on her last night and am very impressed. Snappy and responsive on climbs, especially with fork/shock in trail setting, and really fun/poppy on the descents. I need to play with the suspension a bit but I am in the ballpark. The bike feels stiff and tight and it's nice to have a water bottle even if it's only 500ml. The bike weighs 29.5lbs with Race Face Atlas flats. Mods are XT 8000 mech/shifter, SunRace 11-46 cassette, XT brakes + RT86 rotors, tubeless and a Race Face Atlas 35mm stem to shorten the bike a bit (large frame, I am 5'10").

I'm currently still on a Trek Scratch Air 9 from 2011 and this exact bike is on my short list. I'm just a hair shy of 6' so I would assume large would suit me as well... I had a couple questions for you;

Is this your "one bike?" Do you plan on riding park at all with it? I'm from Vancouver and live in Germany and would be visiting bikeparks from time to time (riding everything from jump lines and flow trails to DH tracks, excluding big gaps/drops)

More importantly how is the chainring clearance? A lot of the riding over here has done a number on my bashplate due to some exposed stone and undroppable root lines and the lack of ISCG mounts for a bashguard concerns me.

I'm leaning more toward a Capra but the Alpine climbs (steep and unrelenting) really make the weight of the Jeffsy attractive.

Edit: Ah, and how is the Turbine dropper so far? I've heard some not-so-good stuff...

Last edited by: spotter on July 18, 2017, 9:27 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 18, 2017, 11:35 a.m.

Posted by: spotter

I'm currently still on a Trek Scratch Air 9 from 2011 and this exact bike is on my short list. I'm just a hair shy of 6' so I would assume large would suit me as well... I had a couple questions for you;

Is this your "one bike?" Do you plan on riding park at all with it? I'm from Vancouver and live in Germany and would be visiting bikeparks from time to time (riding everything from jump lines and flow trails to DH tracks, excluding big gaps/drops)

More importantly how is the chainring clearance? A lot of the riding over here has done a number on my bashplate due to some exposed stone and undroppable root lines and the lack of ISCG mounts for a bashguard concerns me.

I'm leaning more toward a Capra but the Alpine climbs (steep and unrelenting) really make the weight of the Jeffsy attractive.

Edit: Ah, and how is the Turbine dropper so far? I've heard some not-so-good stuff...

Not sure if I mentioned it in this thread but I actually came off a 2011 Trek Scratch Air 8 ("Virtual Large" Trek sizing) to the YT Jeffsy 27 (large). I'm 5'10" with a long torso and shorter legs. The large fits me perfectly with a 35mm stem thrown on, the stock 50mm was rideable but I felt a bit stretched out. With the 35mm, I am comfortable on long seated climbs and feel like I am in the middle of the bike descending: weight on the front tire but never a feeling of going over the bars. I am honestly descending better than I was on the Trek, and I had a 180mm Fox 36 VAN R coil fork on that thing. Having a longer front centre just makes a huge difference I am finding. Rear suspension feels ages better than the Trek (Fox RP2).

I have a Norco Aurum for DH/bike park. I weigh about 210lbs before gearing up, and prefer riding rough technical stuff than jump lines. The Jeffsy might be able to handle that terrain, but I feel like I would destroy it within a day or two in Whistler. It does jump well though. If I was going to have one bike I would look more at the Capra with a Fox 36 and Float X2 + beefier wheelset, and would wait as there are rumours they will lengthen the frames for 2018.

Haven't hit the chainring yet but definitely a risk. I believe there is an e-type chainguide you can buy but dunno about bash... would be nice to have a lower taco even.

Jeffsy definitely climbs well, my bike is 29.5lbs with Race Face Atlas flats. No problems with my Turbine yet, have about 20 rides on the thing.

Last edited by: grambo on July 18, 2017, 11:37 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 18, 2017, 6:34 p.m.

I hereby retract all my comments on E*13's wheel building prowess.

I swapped in my 570/i9/Comp wheel that had lasted for probably 120 days with no issues.  Day two and I lose a spoke.

My thoughts now lie with the shock.  Either air shocks shouldn't be used at the park or my tuning ability needs levelling up.  I'd peg the odds at 50/50.