YT Industries

June 19, 2017, 8:30 a.m.

Some of those issues I would expect on any new bike.  Cables stretch after initial assembly so that one isnt a surprise.  New forks almost always come with the incorrect amount of oil in the lowers, thats not a YT issue, thats a fork manufacturer issue.

The other stuff isnt great I would agree.  They are hopefully going to set you up with a new rotor.  I suppose leaving the brake lines too long is preferable to cutting them too short and not allowing the rider to re-route them if they want to?  No excuse for not having the fasteners all torqued to designed values.  Sounds like they are cutting corners to get product out the door?

The wheels would likely need a re-tension (if new) after the first few rides anyway, but would be interesting to see how they were out of the box I agree.

Let us know how you like it!

June 19, 2017, 12:54 p.m.

I assembled my Jeffsy 27 last night, it was late so I didn't have time to give it a deep dive. Mech was indexed well, I did notice the brake cables are too long but I'm switching to XT anyway. Race Face Turbine dropper is great, looking forward to no more Reverb. 

One thing I noticed which seems odd is there is no guide/nub for the internal cable routing ports on the downtube like most mfg's seem to use. Looking at stock photos they are also missing there. And I didn't get any e13 tubeless valves.

June 19, 2017, 9:45 p.m.

For the record, I was expecting worse.  The list was more a PSA to the non-wrench inclined.

Got it out for 11 laps today.  Was a bit bold with the air pressure and suspect I wasn't too far off how Gwinn rides his.  Will be fixing that for tomorrow.

Have the latest X01 DH rear derailleur. It has the hex bolt instead of a t25 to connect to the hanger. Assuming the auto-removing feature has been addressed, it would appear they traded it in for a new feature.. I have to adjust the b screw every few laps.  I'm going to see if some linseed oil will get it to stick. 

When going hard and fast over the chunder there is a knocking sound coming from the rear... never experienced this before. I think it too is derailleur related, but I might need to mount a GoPro to watch it.  I tried riding and jamming my foot on various parts down there but only succeeded in scaring the shit out of me.

I was certain I'd be chucking the TRP Quadiem's immediately but have done a 180. They're pretty great, shame the levers are so clunky looking.

Finally, my god this is a light bike.

So all that's left is to see how she holds up for the rest of the season.

So far, even after the shipping shit show, I'd buy again.

June 20, 2017, 1:02 a.m.

I would expect most of that to be standard 'bike building' requirements from a box order... except for the fork... How did you know to add more oil, or is that laid out for you. 

I would get your wheels tensioned up properly after a shakedown ride... no reason to risk folding some brand new rims. I also like how you have time to cut brake hoses and rebleed, but bearings are out of the question :p

Any pics of the build??

June 20, 2017, 7:49 a.m.

Posted by: jan

I would expect most of that to be standard 'bike building' requirements from a box order... except for the fork... How did you know to add more oil, or is that laid out for you.

I would get your wheels tensioned up properly after a shakedown ride... no reason to risk folding some brand new rims. I also like how you have time to cut brake hoses and rebleed, but bearings are out of the question :p

Any pics of the build??

Oil in the fork lowers was simply based on the history of people mentioning the issue across all bike brands. The last three forks I've bought came from the SWerx crew so I knew I was covered then.

Haven't cut the brake lines yet as I only have olives for Saints.. that said cutting down brake lines would take less than a third of the time of popping open every seal of every bearing. I do get partial credit for taking the air out of the shock and cycling it... felt nice.

Have the truing stand ready to go.. but the meat-based tensiometer says I'm good for now...

Here's a pic right before it's maiden voyage. I'm on an iPad right now, so if the forum doesn't resize this it's going to be massive.

Last edited by: ReductiMat on June 20, 2017, 7:51 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
June 20, 2017, 3:57 p.m.

Day two in the books.

Bike is fucking amazing.  Still have the suspension too stiff.

Brakes are fucking amazing as well.  I'm a convert.. well, maybe.  Haven't bled them yet.

June 20, 2017, 5:17 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Brakes are fucking amazing as well.  I'm a convert.. well, maybe.  Haven't bled them yet.

what brakes?

June 20, 2017, 5:22 p.m.

Shield your eyes.  Website seems to have been built in 1998.

G-Spec Quadiem

June 20, 2017, 5:54 p.m.

your warning needs to be stronger.

June 20, 2017, 6:22 p.m.

Wise move on checking the fork oil. I've definitely been burned multiple times by that before (not on a YT bike, just in general).

June 22, 2017, 2:15 p.m.

Thanks ReductiMat for the tip on the fork. I had my bike at the mechanics (cuz I suck at stuff) and he cracked the Pike and it was "very dry", so he topped up oil and soaked foam rings. Definitely worth the $35. No idea why manufacturers do this on new forks, planned obsolescence/premature wear for servicing?

Had a quick rip on her last night and am very impressed. Snappy and responsive on climbs, especially with fork/shock in trail setting, and really fun/poppy on the descents. I need to play with the suspension a bit but I am in the ballpark. The bike feels stiff and tight and it's  nice to have a water bottle even if it's only 500ml. The bike weighs 29.5lbs with Race Face Atlas flats. Mods are XT 8000 mech/shifter, SunRace 11-46 cassette, XT brakes + RT86 rotors, tubeless and a Race Face Atlas 35mm stem to shorten the bike a bit (large frame, I am 5'10").

June 23, 2017, 5:53 a.m.

Man that thing looks great!  Let us know how it is- I don't really know anyone that owns one.

June 23, 2017, 11:36 a.m.

Went for another quick rip last night, Old Buck to Severed to GSM to John Deer. PR'd all the climbs, shouldn't be surprised though as I dropped 6lbs off my old trail bike and now have lockout front and rear, but I am recovering from a bad cold so yeah. Bike felt composed through the chunder on mid-Severed, stays pretty planted after drops. John Deer is a blast on this thing, super responsive with the 35mm stem and corners really nicely. Riding Fraser Valley tomorrow and then Cumberland next week so will have more to say...

June 26, 2017, 9:14 p.m.

A number of spokes decided to break up with its nipple today. No direct impacts, just fast park riding.

Rims seem to be doing ok still.

June 27, 2017, 6:45 a.m.

Dang.  Alloy or brass nips?