YT Industries

June 6, 2017, 9:57 p.m.

So, I know besides me there's one other sad son of a bitch who gave these monkey's money.  Any one else?

June 7, 2017, 8:43 a.m.

No new ETA on your bike?  How long have you been waiting for it?

June 7, 2017, 8:47 a.m.

Ordered in Feb.  Delivery was in Late April.  Then May.  Then beginning of June.  Then.. Then..

The way it's been managed is the most annoying part of this though.  A simple, "XYZ, therefore we won't get your bike to you till 2023" would have gone a long way.  Instead it's just been mostly radio silence.

June 7, 2017, 8:58 a.m.

this is not new in the bike industry, especially direct to consumer ... waiting for bikes sucks.

Last edited by: LoamtoHome on June 7, 2017, 9 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 7, 2017, 10:45 a.m.

I'm the one other sad bastard, exact same timeline as ReductiMat. I feel like a chump since I was hyping YT on here and other forums AND I convinced two friends to order bikes as well. It doesn't seem like they had delays this long in past years with the Tues or Capra. 

The communication part is the worst. According to posts on other forums, YT USA and YT NZ/AUS respond within 1-2 days while the YT Canada guy takes ages to respond. He should be at least sending weekly updates "frames are here, waiting on X parts to build, no ETA" type stuff would go a long way.

Commencal seems to be better (more years experience?) at fulfillment and customer service, just not interested in their trail bike. Will be interesting to see what happens when Canyon shows up as they seem like a much larger and more professional operation.

June 7, 2017, 11:17 a.m.

Dip into the Canyon sub-forum on mtbr to read about Canyon and the lack of delivery. 

The largest piss off is bikes like Radon and Cube aren't available for shipment to Canada from the German sites.  A fully kitted alloy FSR DH bike for ~$5000CDN is pretty ace in my books.

I too am waiting on a new bike.  Difference is I haven't given a single red cent to the company.

June 7, 2017, 11:27 a.m.

There was one guy in Poland who was waiting 3 month for his Canyon bike but when he got it. They didn't take money from his credit card, only because he was sorry for the person who will be charged for it he pay for bike but without tax.

June 7, 2017, 12:22 p.m.

^Oh that sounds like a sweet deal.

I was eyeing their bikes. Almost pulled the trigger on a 27.5 in black went back next day then they were sold out until July considered red which still had May delivery decided no, vacillated, vacillated, vacillated and now they all backlogged, eeh?

Ya know, if it's because they having teething problems better you wait than them sending sketchy product on time. Believe me, I know.

Last edited by: tungsten on June 7, 2017, 12:24 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 7, 2017, 9:05 p.m.

I think that JM is totally overwhelmed and cannot respond to emails in a timely manner.  I too have had my share of radio silence.  Sometimes he answers in a day, sometimes not at all.

If YT wants to win customers, especially repeat customers, in Canada I think they need to really improve their customer service model.  

I think that they make a really good product and I love my bike, but if nothing has changed in terms of their customer service when the times comes for me to shop again I will probably look at another company.

"Constant rage: could people f*cking up all the time be to blame?" - The Onion

June 8, 2017, 1:43 p.m.

Posted by: Cabana76

I think that JM is totally overwhelmed and cannot respond to emails in a timely manner.  I too have had my share of radio silence.  Sometimes he answers in a day, sometimes not at all.

If YT wants to win customers, especially repeat customers, in Canada I think they need to really improve their customer service model.  

I think that they make a really good product and I love my bike, but if nothing has changed in terms of their customer service when the times comes for me to shop again I will probably look at another company.

Dude means well for sure but is just too busy. YT USA has an actual staff in the Reno office that pick up phones/email during business hours. YT Canada is just JM. Maybe the volume isn't there yet to justify the cost, but if they keep growing they need to staff up. Just hire an eager early 20's dude for $40k, give him an iPhone and tell him he has to keep the inbox clear and answer calls while out riding Squampton trails. Anything would be an improvement.

June 8, 2017, 2:32 p.m.

Seems to be a classic case of not scaling up your capacity or watching your execution while your sales are growing. Sadly it's not a rare thing for young companies that tap into an open market segment, sometimes it's enough to totally trash your rep and your future sales just while your goodwill and market hype is at its highest.  Hopefully everyone gets their bikes but I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of these companies goes under pretty soon due to this problem.

June 8, 2017, 4:34 p.m.

Commencal Canada has been great. They respond quickly and seem to keep a good stock of spares. I'd buy from them again.

June 9, 2017, 9:15 a.m.

If only they would make a Meta AM 29er!

June 9, 2017, 1:11 p.m.

Posted by: pedalhound

If only they would make a Meta AM 29er!

That would be sweet. Hopefully they're working on it.

June 18, 2017, 10:18 p.m.

Finally got my bike.

Very nice.  I don't know if I'm an outlier or not, but I had to do the following:

• Re-tension the derailleur wire

• Set the low-limit screw properly

• Adjust b screw
  • Rear rotor got knackered in shipping, spent 30 minutes getting to to, "good enough"
  • Re-torque ALL bolts, one was only hand tightened
  • Get those bloody high rollers off the wheels
  • Drop fork lowers and put in the proper amount of oil (25ml in air spring leg and about 10 in the cartridge leg)
  • Will need to replace the gear housing as the ending is half-in/half-out at the derailleur, no idea how they did that
  • Will need to cut the brake lines as they're too long and look messy

If I really cared I would have had a look at all the bearings, but ain't no one got time for that.  Also, while the wheels were true was hoping to get a tensiometer on the spokes to see how well built they really are.

I should know in a month or so if there really is such a thing as a free lunch.