yt in canada

Feb. 7, 2015, 12:25 p.m.

I wouldn't touch BOS here if it wasn't for SWerx being a service centre here.

Yep…and James/Andrew are sourcing my hardware… can't imagine doing it without them around. It would be an exercise in futility.

Feb. 8, 2015, 10:42 p.m.

It's a nail in the coffin for many an LBS IMO.

Canyon will no doubt eventually follow. How can non direct manufacturers and bike shops compete with it?

So you think Dartmoor will follow this pattern?

"Looks like a Canoe with the seats kicked out of it !"

Feb. 9, 2015, 11:11 a.m.

Canada only matters internationally when referring to North Van to Whistler, and even then it really is only a small blip on the radar.

Have you ever been to Calgary and seen the volume Bow Cycle does? Or Canmore, and the amount of $5k - $6k bikes that flow through the shops there? Amount of rideable terrain does not equal amount of disposable income for weekend toys.

-Kevin

Feb. 9, 2015, 9:49 p.m.

True, Calgary Cycle does a lot of business I hear. How many shops in California alone do that much business I wonder?

Feb. 10, 2015, 7:06 a.m.

True, Calgary Cycle does a lot of business I hear. How many shops in California alone do that much business I wonder?

Probably a lot… I would guess that all the shops in Canada do less overall business than the ones just in California. That puts the market in better perspective.

March 6, 2015, 7:34 a.m.

Agree with most of what Drew said above. In terms of focus, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the local model: typically a big Norco/axiom shop with little attention to cycling beyond the hobby. Nobody is e-undercutting Bromptons, edgerunners, Simcoe, Public or city bikes in any meaningful way. The margins is right there and yet we have travel to Seattle before we see anything like this: http://familycyclery.com/

More on what a shop that breaks out looks like: http://youtu.be/M4fUkXugrOY

These guys are getting customers that are new to cycling, whereas most shops here seems to be focused on the 30-45 year old looking at their 12th bike. Stop complaining about MEC, Shimano and yt and refocus on where the margins are and competition isn't.

NSMBA member.

March 6, 2015, 7:49 a.m.

I believe Calgary Cycle is North America's highest volume shop for after market Fox forks. There isn't anything in there less than $3k (they have another location for the "cheap stuff").