Your choice wet cond/light* weight tyre...

Sept. 29, 2016, 6:56 p.m.

DHF front and rear has been a real popular choice for eons.

I'm hearing good things about the DHR II front and rear these days, no personal experience though.

Quite a few people I know like to run it front and rear - and some companies like SC spec it that way, too. Funny enough, I've also seen a few companies spec DHF front and rear, but it hasn't been as popular as DHR II on both ends.

Personally, I don't find DHR II gives enough directional control up front on steeps in loam or loose conditions. Out back I like it. Not super durable, but then again I'm also a High Roller fan and that tire wears crazy fast.

Sept. 30, 2016, 9 a.m.

Quite a few people I know like to run it front and rear - and some companies like SC spec it that way, too. Funny enough, I've also seen a few companies spec DHF front and rear, but it hasn't been as popular as DHR II on both ends.

Personally, I don't find DHR II gives enough directional control up front on steeps in loam or loose conditions. Out back I like it. Not super durable, but then again I'm also a High Roller fan and that tire wears crazy fast.

Yup… I run a 60 series in the back for that reason. I've heard good things about the e13 tires. I believe Dave is doing a review on those.

:canada:

Oct. 1, 2016, 7:58 a.m.

I'm on the fence between DHF 2.3 and 2.5 for my 29er. I've checked some of the usual North Shore shops on the east end of NV but no luck on both to compare.

Any info on whether NS BS, Obsession, LV or Steed carry them?

Also, does anyone have experience with the DHF in the 29er variety with the two widths?

Thanks

Oct. 1, 2016, 12:44 p.m.

I'm on the fence between DHF 2.3 and 2.5 for my 29er. I've checked some of the usual North Shore shops on the east end of NV but no luck on both to compare.

Any info on whether NS BS, Obsession, LV or Steed carry them?

Also, does anyone have experience with the DHF in the 29er variety with the two widths?

Thanks

i have. it's a great tire, but so is the 2.3. splitting hairs really, but if you fancy yourself riding on the edge and going down really steep trails, the larger (heavier) tire is a bit more confidence inspiring and can be run at silly low pressures. shore trails i reckon the more tire the better. for every day trail riding the smaller tire is nice. one adapts either way.

Oct. 1, 2016, 5:17 p.m.

New 27.5×2.60 options come for the Rekon and Forekaster, joining the 2.8 width as part of their [HTML_REMOVED]#8220;Wide Trail[HTML_REMOVED]#8221; lineup optimized for 35mm inner width rims to offer a larger volume MTB tire that feels more like a high volume tire and less like a plus-bike tire. Weights TBD.

http://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/special-events/2016/9/27/interbike-2016-26-tires-from-maxxis-schwalbe

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Oct. 3, 2016, 12:34 p.m.

i have. it's a great tire, but so is the 2.3. splitting hairs really, but if you fancy yourself riding on the edge and going down really steep trails, the larger (heavier) tire is a bit more confidence inspiring and can be run at silly low pressures. shore trails i reckon the more tire the better. for every day trail riding the smaller tire is nice. one adapts either way.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like great tires either way - Checking rear tire clearance, I'm a bit worried that a 2.5 would fit my chainstays, so I may be headed the 2.3 route anyway.

Cheers,
Gord

Oct. 5, 2016, 10:19 p.m.

Who distributes Michelin or Mavix tires in Canada these days?
Thinking about trying some different rubber than I'm used to

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 6, 2016, 5:57 a.m.

several buddies use the Rock R2 and love them plus I think they come in all wheel dia as well.

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 6, 2016, 6:10 a.m.

Who distributes Michelin or Mavix tires in Canada these days?
Thinking about trying some different rubber than I'm used to

Michelin is Lambert and Mavic is well, Mavic…

Oct. 6, 2016, 10:32 p.m.

Michelin is Lambert and Mavic is well, Mavic…

Thanks. Reps if I wasn't on my phone.

Surprising that Michelin doesn't list the ETRTO sizing on their site.

Which is the sticky compound; GumX or MagiX? The site makes two conflicting statements.

The MICHELIN MAN advises:
For optimal performances, the MICHELIN MAN recommends you use mainly a combination of the Gum-X Series on the front and the MAGI-X Series on the rear.

And this under performance

Developed and used in the “Enduro World series”, this rubber mixture offer very high efficiency with exceptional grip on the angle; but also excellent braking under the most demanding conditions. MICHELIN MAGI-X series is mainly intended to be used on the front wheel.
Bibendum says :for the best control and overall safety, BIBENDUM recommends putting the MAGI-X series tyres on the front wheel with the MICHELIN GUM-Xseries on the rear.

:|

Tire companies need to come out with a standardized durometer/compound rating system. :lol:

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 7, 2016, 8:08 a.m.

Yup… I run a 60 series in the back for that reason. I've heard good things about the e13 tires. I believe Dave is doing a review on those.

I picked up an e13 trs plus in finale and rode it there. It's noticeably harder (I feel as though I can feel it shudder more on hardpack than a MM). Hopefully this translates to more long lasting wear. Looks slightly wider than a MM as well. I sliced it on the first day but it sealed and I patched it and it held for 4 days.

Oct. 9, 2016, 8:05 p.m.

the ultimate wagon wheel rubber? what i need is an extra couple grand to throw around on random tires and try a bunch. and no job that work thing interferes with my riding ambitions….

Maxxis Shorty 29X2.50WT
63-622 60 FOLDABLE 1,025 3C MAXX TERRA 50 3C/EXO/TR Black

Oct. 12, 2016, 2:33 p.m.

Thanks. Reps if I wasn't on my phone.

Surprising that Michelin doesn't list the ETRTO sizing on their site.

Which is the sticky compound; GumX or MagiX? The site makes two conflicting statements.

And this under performance
:|

Tire companies need to come out with a standardized durometer/compound rating system. :lol:

Seems they need to figure out what front and what rear means.
Computer glitch, no humans work at answering questions anymore.

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Oct. 12, 2016, 3:04 p.m.

mish makes great tires but like conti, can be confusing. i reckon it's a French thing…

gum x is plenty soft and pliable but is the 'harder' of the 2, magi is super low rebound and more expensive as well. i have a couple of rockr 2's in gum and they are plenty soft. goofy names.