Your choice wet cond/light* weight tyre...

Sept. 26, 2016, 1:42 p.m.

I'm running Magic Mary front and rear on LBS's recommendation. I'm not overly impressed with the weight and how slow rolling they are, but the grip is fantastic. I'm going to go back to Maxxis when these wear out and go Minion DHR and DHF in trail wide variety (32mm IRD).

I'm gonna give MM front [HTML_REMOVED] rear a try for the winter and see how it goes. Wouldn't run that in the summer but maybe I'll appreciate the extra grip when its slippery. I've been running a MM on the front for a while and really like it.

Is there much of a weight savings from MM to DHR/DHF? I have the lightest one (trailstar?) that only weigh 885g.

Sept. 26, 2016, 6:06 p.m.

I'm gonna give MM front [HTML_REMOVED] rear a try for the winter and see how it goes. Wouldn't run that in the summer but maybe I'll appreciate the extra grip when its slippery. I've been running a MM on the front for a while and really like it.

Is there much of a weight savings from MM to DHR/DHF? I have the lightest one (trailstar?) that only weigh 885g.

I don't know the others but I have 2.3x27.5 dhr2 front and rear on my trail bike, 770grams each I think.

Sept. 27, 2016, 12:42 a.m.

Wow. MM in the rear. That's kinky!

Is there much of a weight savings from MM to DHR/DHF? I have the lightest one (pacestar?) that only weigh 885g.

fyp……..

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 27, 2016, 8:53 a.m.

fyp……..

According to the website it doesn't look like there is a MM "pacestar"

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/off-road_tires/Magic_Mary

Sept. 27, 2016, 9:31 a.m.

Going to give the Maxxis Aggressor a try in DD compound for the rear. The EXO's don't cut the mustard with rocks.

:canada:

Sept. 27, 2016, 9:42 a.m.

For me the biggest issue with wet weather riding is the wet wood features. Roots you can usually deal with by lifting your front tire as someone already mentioned by if you hit old wet wood and try to turn or brake…. :(

For those of you into Maxxis, how is the DHRII on wet wood and rock? Last winter I used a Schwalbe NN on the back and wasn't that happy with it but maybe I should have used Trailstar instead of Pacestar compound and had it wear out even faster.

Also, has anyone used a DHF on the rear? How does it work in the wet? Do you still keep the rotation the same? I have one on the front right now (27.5"x2.3" 3C - EXO - TR, MaxxTerra) and it seems like it might be worth swapping it to the back and running a Schwalbe MM in front for winter.

CRC has a winter / wet weather MTB tire sale on right now so I'm trying to decide what to stock up on.

Sept. 28, 2016, 1:30 p.m.

Also, has anyone used a DHF on the rear? How does it work in the wet? Do you still keep the rotation the same? I have one on the front right now (27.5"x2.3" 3C - EXO - TR, MaxxTerra) and it seems like it might be worth swapping it to the back and running a Schwalbe MM in front for winter.

CRC has a winter / wet weather MTB tire sale on right now so I'm trying to decide what to stock up on.

DHF front and rear has been a real popular choice for eons.

I'm hearing good things about the DHR II front and rear these days, no personal experience though.

Sept. 28, 2016, 1:49 p.m.

DHR II is a great rear tire but it wears out super quick.

Sept. 28, 2016, 2:56 p.m.

I've been on the Michelin rock'r2 and recently did some runs on dhr2's then back to the rock'r and was blown away how much more control the rock'r has. Cornering grip is amazing, surprised how much easier the dhr2 broke free, and then back on the rockr how hard I could push it and it just holds. I'm riding mostly hard pack, often wet. If I'm doing a loam/duff/mud ride I run Maxxis shortys. After experiencing the capabilities of the rockr and shorty I feel so much confidence and safer that I could care less about rolling resistance.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Sept. 28, 2016, 3:02 p.m.

Are you guys really changing tires for different trails?

I am too lazy, I usually wear them out, then swap for something else, just to mix things up.

I'll try a Nobby Nic next for the rear (MM Trailstar front), the ProCore makes my Rock Razor Supergravity overkill, I I might get away with a snakeskin sidewall. Last time I tried, the tire held, but I dinged my rims so bad that a lot of nipples broke…

Sept. 28, 2016, 4:50 p.m.

I'm running DHRII 3C TR 29x2.3 front/Rock Razor SG TS TLE 29x2.35 rear on my Chromag. I'll likely swap the DHRII to the rear and mount up either the fresh Magic Mary SG TS TLE 29x2.35 or the same DHRII up front.

DH bike has been Magic Mary SG VS 26x2.35 TLE front/DHRII SuperTacky 26x2.4 Wire Bead rear all season. I'm mounting up a fresh set of MM SG VS TLE 26x2.35 for the DH bike this week.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 29, 2016, 10:20 a.m.

What's Jerry's favourite shore/offshore tire these days?

Sept. 29, 2016, 11:07 a.m.

I found the 2.4 to be a much better wearing tire. 2.3 is still a good XC-Trail option but the 2.4 just has more meat to it.

Sept. 29, 2016, 11:10 a.m.

I like the HR2 in the 60 compound (3C's wear too fast) for rear but EXO's aren't strong enough. Trying the Aggressor in the DD and seeing how that goes. I had a Magic Mary vert star up front and absolutely hated it. Running DHF Minion up front as it's a great tire. Really like the Mavic Charge as well.

Sept. 29, 2016, 5:06 p.m.

I found the 2.4 to be a much better wearing tire. 2.3 is still a good XC-Trail option but the 2.4 just has more meat to it.

Same question to you Ken…