Your choice wet cond/light* weight tyre...

Sept. 18, 2016, 8 p.m.

There is no such thing as seasonal tires on the North Shore.
You just need to harden the fuck up.

Sept. 18, 2016, 8:12 p.m.

The Shore tends to drain pretty well, and most of the trail surfaces are fairly hard, even when wet. Our dirt is actually grippier when it has some moisture in it.

I've done better with a Minion-esque front tire than a cut spike like a Magic Mary. I find that, even in wet conditions, a Minion-like tire corners better, whereas the Mary feels more vague if it's not able to dig into something soft. My current front tire of choice is the Michelin Wild Rock'r 2, but I also had a great time with the Bontrager SE5.

In back, the Slaughter stays on year-round. On the dirt we have on the Shore, I get plenty of traction. After riding the Slaughter, everything else I have tried feels intolerably slow to pedal around.

If I lived somewhere with more mud/wet loam, my tire choices would likely be different.

My 29er hardtail is set up with a similar rationale, with a Butcher Control in front and Ground Control Grid in back.

Sept. 18, 2016, 8:55 p.m.

Like many I've been running the Magic Mary front, Nobby Nic rear for a couple of seasons. Thinking about changing it up. I used to really like the Conti Trail Kings up until they starting having problems with their beads. I think that Lynn Valley even stopped carrying them.

I hear that things may have improved recently. Has anyone used the Der Baron Projekt?

"Constant rage: could people f*cking up all the time be to blame?" - The Onion

Sept. 18, 2016, 11:37 p.m.

Like many I've been running the Magic Mary front, Nobby Nic rear for a couple of seasons. Thinking about changing it up. I used to really like the Conti Trail Kings up until they starting having problems with their beads. I think that Lynn Valley even stopped carrying them.

I hear that things may have improved recently. Has anyone used the Der Baron Projekt?

have the DBP on my wagon wheeler. it's a great tire, massive grip a great confidence inspiring feel no matter the terrain, angle or speed. heavy of course but appropriate for hard charging and late braking. only negative is it doesn't seem to love my rim and would slowly lose air. dove into a hard corner with cut off stump and burped it last week with a bang. so i lost confidence with this rim and put in a tube. i like it enough to run it w a tube, don't care. cornering knobs are awesome. i've driven it hard on Cumberland trails and at this point, like it better than the DHF which i love. maybe it will play tubeless better with other rims…

Sept. 18, 2016, 11:43 p.m.

good to know. i like a light high volume tire in the back of one of my bikes that will come to ride the shore in november. bike is a beast and feels more trail friendly with sub 1000g tires but i was thinking it may not be appropriate (bonty xr3, still toothy fresh. was great in late summer and is fairly light). tires are cool, but i'd rather not play rotate the tire$ all the time…

Sept. 19, 2016, 2:29 p.m.

I prefer the super Limited Edition Schwalbe Tumour Tamara tires in the wet

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 20, 2016, 11:21 p.m.

I've done better with a Minion-esque front tire than a cut spike like a Magic Mary. I find that, even in wet conditions, a Minion-like tire corners better, whereas the Mary feels more vague if it's not able to dig into something soft.

Yah if you turns MM backwards looks more like a Minion, maybe I'll try that?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 20, 2016, 11:41 p.m.

The New Bontrager XR4 in 29x2.40" are solid tires at a great weight. Look at the SE4 for a more robust casing. Getting a lot of good feedback from these tires.

Sept. 24, 2016, 2:40 p.m.

ok………

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 24, 2016, 11:26 p.m.

ok………

No offence…Light attempt at humour.

Seriously, as an old codger I find that there is an insignificant (IMHO) need to swap out gear for the cooler season. Unless you're racing, riding on snow and ice, or looking for a KOM, your regular tires will be fine.

Sept. 25, 2016, 9:07 a.m.

Has anyone tried Magic Mary on both front [HTML_REMOVED] rear (on an all mountain bike)? Thinking about trying it for the wet season but wondering how slow rolling it would be.

Sept. 25, 2016, 9:51 a.m.

Has anyone tried Magic Mary on both front [HTML_REMOVED] rear (on an all mountain bike)? Thinking about trying it for the wet season but wondering how slow rolling it would be.

my buddy runs them on his Reign all year round

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 25, 2016, 2:20 p.m.

No offence

Noone taken.

Has anyone tried Magic Mary on both front [HTML_REMOVED] rear

I put just one on front. Only one ride seems to work fine. May swap out HD on rear for NN as I found this today, FWIW.

http://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/special-events/2015/1/15/pacific-northwest-winter-tire-comparison-test-session-2-2015-nobby-nic-mountain-king-ii-trail-king-vigilantetrail-boss-magic-mary-hans-dampf

Sept. 26, 2016, 12:25 p.m.

N May swap out HD on rear for NN

No, not tall enough.

Sept. 26, 2016, 1:07 p.m.

I'm running Magic Mary front and rear on LBS's recommendation. I'm not overly impressed with the weight and how slow rolling they are, but the grip is fantastic. I'm going to go back to Maxxis when these wear out and go Minion DHR and DHF in trail wide variety (32mm IRD).

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden