yet another carbon wheel company, Vancouver based

Nov. 9, 2017, 9:12 p.m.

seems like Vancouver is the hub for mtb wheels

Nov. 9, 2017, 11:22 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

i just came across Tairin Wheels. are these guys just out or have they been around for a while? anyone ride them?

Designed and engineered in Vancouver, but built overseas I assume.  Pretty pricey for a Chinese made carbon rim.

Nov. 10, 2017, 8:27 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Lol

Nov. 10, 2017, 10:20 a.m.

Saw them on the Pinkbike Buy & Sell but haven't heard of them otherwise so I didn't take them seriously. Curious to know more about them.

Nov. 10, 2017, 10:38 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

This type of comment makes me wish that you could still upvote comments on NSMB forums.

Nov. 10, 2017, 12:58 p.m.

Posted by: rnayel

This type of comment makes me wish that you could still upvote comments on NSMB forums.

I'm just glad I got to it before our intellectual superior did

Nov. 10, 2017, 2:04 p.m.

Pricing seems to be close to LB USA/NOBL offer for legit hub builds.

Nov. 11, 2017, 8:22 a.m.

JBV, here's all the info you need in order to give it a go ;) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bb7eCgLbLI

Nov. 11, 2017, 8:02 p.m.

Part of me wishes I wasn't a cynical old barstard but if you want to support local business, you can buy We Are One wheels with Hope hubs for the same price. Locally made carbon rims and of course built in BC too. On the other side, I just priced up some Light Bicycle wheels. It literally took 2 minutes from typing their name in Google. Around $1000 including fees and shipping gets you DT hubs and spokes and rims with suspiciously the same technology as the 'Tairin' ones. Various build options as well. I'm guessing it's US dollars (doesn't say) but either way that's a significant difference in price and known branded hubs too. If for example I saw design photos, testing etc on Tairin's IG feed, or a host of custom build options I'd be more tempted to buy into them. I don't wish them ill, but I just don't see what I get for my $1500 and the same goes for the countless similar companies out there.

Nov. 12, 2017, 8:02 a.m.

not sure on the carbon hype for wheels... not any faster, just super expensive.  DT Swiss all day.

Nov. 12, 2017, 2:53 p.m.

Posted by: trumpstinyhands

Part of me wishes I wasn't a cynical old barstard but if you want to support local business, you can buy We Are One wheels with Hope hubs for the same price. Locally made carbon rims and of course built in BC too. On the other side, I just priced up some Light Bicycle wheels. It literally took 2 minutes from typing their name in Google. Around $1000 including fees and shipping gets you DT hubs and spokes and rims with suspiciously the same technology as the 'Tairin' ones. Various build options as well. I'm guessing it's US dollars (doesn't say) but either way that's a significant difference in price and known branded hubs too. If for example I saw design photos, testing etc on Tairin's IG feed, or a host of custom build options I'd be more tempted to buy into them. I don't wish them ill, but I just don't see what I get for my $1500 and the same goes for the countless similar companies out there.

Pretty tough to beat the WR1 warranty too. I am biased but there's really no reason to buy from anyone else if you're in the market for carbon rims/wheels.

Nov. 12, 2017, 10:04 p.m.

^^ really? no reason? what if you are a cross country racer, arguably the earliest adopters and seekers of carbon wheels. WR1 does not target nor serve this market. i doubt you would see WR1 on any bike at an xc or marathon race, local or pro level.

Ha ok fair point. If you were in the market for an Enduro/DH carbon wheelset*

Nov. 13, 2017, 5:25 p.m.

^^ really? no reason? what if you are a cross country racer, arguably the earliest adopters and seekers of carbon wheels. WR1 does not target nor serve this market. i doubt you would see WR1 on any bike at an xc or marathon race, local or pro level.

They'll have a XC rim/wheel set to market in the future.  I believe they have a DH rim as well coming