Yakima Frontloader vs Highroller

Jan. 8, 2012, 3:26 p.m.

Looking for a rooftop rack to fit a factory set of subaru crossbars. Does anyone here have any experience with either of these racks (or preferrably both)? From looking at them, the Highroller just seems to be a beefier version of the Frontloader, but I'm not sure.

Would be for a sub 35lb all mountain rig, so doesn't need to haul anything too heavy.

Cheers.

Jan. 8, 2012, 4:38 p.m.

I have 2 Frontloaders on my car. Very happy with them.
I used to carry around my 40 pounder Demo7 without any issues (I now have much lighter bikes).
Even at highway speeds, the rack and bike were stable.

I chose the Frontloader over the Highroller, because it attaches directly to the OEM bars. The Highroller needs adapters, which can actually make it less stable.

It also has a very slick lock system, which locks the rack to the bar, and the bike to the rack (buying optional lock cores), so your racks can be locked all the time.

If you buy online, this is the shop where I bought it from:
http://www.orsracksdirect.com/yakima-frontloader-bike-rack-2103.html

Looking for a rooftop rack to fit a factory set of subaru crossbars. Does anyone here have any experience with either of these racks (or preferrably both)? From looking at them, the Highroller just seems to be a beefier version of the Frontloader, but I'm not sure.

Would be for a sub 35lb all mountain rig, so doesn't need to haul anything too heavy.

Cheers.

Jan. 15, 2012, 3:32 p.m.

Cheers.

I just mounted one of these to Forester factory crossbars. Could not have been easier and seems like a solid connection to the crossbar. They are priced within $30 of REI at the local RackAttack, so it was a no brainer to buy local. Highroller is less sturdy unless you swap out the OE crossbars for Yakima ones…no thanks. Got my Frontloader locks to match my yakima hitch rack locks and am a happy camper.

NSMBA member.

Jan. 15, 2012, 3:44 p.m.

I got a Highroller to replace an ageing Cobra (purchased in 2003). Definitely an improvement over the Cobra and is plenty solid attached to Thule bars.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com