XTR Shadow Plus derailleur. good enough to replace chain guides?

Aug. 15, 2011, 5:03 p.m.

any opinion on this?

picture for pictures sake:

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

Aug. 15, 2011, 9:15 p.m.

In short : NO !

How would that prevent your chain from dropping off the front chainring ? It may have more tension but it only helps keeping the device more quiet…

Aug. 15, 2011, 9:25 p.m.

When I went from an XT Shadow to an older XO with much more spring tension, chainslap reduced but instead my chain was getting sucked between the chainstay and the tire and that never happened before. The only way to solve the very irritating problem was with a chain guide. Make this a vote for "not a replacement for a chain guide."

flickr

Aug. 15, 2011, 9:43 p.m.

the reason i bring it up is this:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/derailler-mech-rear/mountain/product/review-shimano-xtr-shadow-plus-rear-derailleur-44703/

For single-ring trail riders, the new XTR mech should offer better consistency than ultra-light top-only chain guides like e*thirteen[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s XCX or MRP[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s 1x.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

Aug. 15, 2011, 10:04 p.m.

When I went from an XT Shadow to an older XO with much more spring tension, chainslap reduced but instead my chain was getting sucked between the chainstay and the tire and that never happened before. The only way to solve the very irritating problem was with a chain guide. Make this a vote for "not a replacement for a chain guide."

Yeah, but that's the new XTR that has the tension plate in it to stop rapid swinging of the derailleur, so it's not just a heavier spring, it's an inertial damper too.

Aug. 15, 2011, 10:14 p.m.

OK, I'll take it. You've got my address already ;)

flickr

Aug. 15, 2011, 10:44 p.m.

meh.

Ride BMX
Ride for yourself.

Aug. 16, 2011, 11:36 a.m.

Yeah, but that's the new XTR that has the tension plate in it to stop rapid swinging of the derailleur, so it's not just a heavier spring, it's an inertial damper too.

This derailleur pretty much silences the drivetrain and IMO it will virtually eliminate dropped chains and chainsuck. The mechanism is a friction damper to greatly slow the movement of the cage but it also has a ratchet mechanism in to allow the cage to move backwards freely. So - backwards freely [HTML_REMOVED] forwards against the friction clutch (which can be adjusted). There is a little bit of free forward movement to allow the bike to shift well but it is only a fraction of an inch. It has much, much better chain control comapared to standard XTR, XT, X0 and XX.

I've been running it on my SB-66 for a week in some pretty rough trails and it truly does silence the drivetrain and pretty much eliminate chain slap. I wouldn't run it 1X without a guide but I can sure run it 2X without a guide.

Aug. 16, 2011, 11:56 a.m.

This derailleur pretty much silences the drivetrain and IMO it will virtually eliminate dropped chains and chainsuck. The mechanism is a friction damper to greatly slow the movement of the cage but it also has a ratchet mechanism in to allow the cage to move backwards freely. So - backwards freely [HTML_REMOVED] forwards against the friction clutch (which can be adjusted). There is a little bit of free forward movement to allow the bike to shift well but it is only a fraction of an inch. It has much, much better chain control comapared to standard XTR, XT, X0 and XX.

I've been running it on my SB-66 for a week in some pretty rough trails and it truly does silence the drivetrain and pretty much eliminate chain slap. I wouldn't run it 1X without a guide but I can sure run it 2X without a guide.

Yay! I was waiting for some real world feedback about it. The only concern now is the long term durability of the clutch in crap conditions.

Aug. 16, 2011, 2:17 p.m.

i've only done 2 rides on mine, but it has virtually silenced my bike, which makes me happy.
i'm still keeping my xcx top-guide on, but i doubt i need it as the cage is now ridiculously stiff.
up-shifting does require slightly more pressure, but not as much as some people are whining about. mine shifts just fine.
highly recommended!

Aug. 16, 2011, 2:19 p.m.

Yay! I was waiting for some real world feedback about it. The only concern now is the long term durability of the clutch in crap conditions.

You can pretty much seal up the mechanism's plastic cover with a bit of silicone and will do this ASAP. Then the only way for crap to get in would be through the cage pivot which is pretty tight. I think it will be pretty durable since it is just a friction band and small ratchet mechanism. Now you have me thinking about what kind of maintenance is needed for the ratchet. It will likely need some tlc over time.

One cool thing that Shimano did was to make the friction adjustment tool part of the mechanism. It is hiding under the plastic cover when you open it up. Nice touch!

In general, the new XTR stuff seems to be built really well overall and has a quality industrial feel to it.

BTW, the plastic cover looks pretty solid but we'll soon see how it holds up to some rock hits.

Aug. 16, 2011, 2:36 p.m.

Too bad the new derailleur is for 10 speed. Will it work with 9spd chains?

Aug. 16, 2011, 2:53 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgsb8miN5_c

It would be nice to see a riding video of the derailleur with the plus switch off, but still a good demo.

Aug. 16, 2011, 11:26 p.m.

does the main pivot become sloppy and crappy after a few months like my XT did and my buddy's Saint?

Check my stuff for sale!

Aug. 17, 2011, 10:44 a.m.

the reason i bring it up is this:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/derailler-mech-rear/mountain/product/review-shimano-xtr-shadow-plus-rear-derailleur-44703/

I don't trust any nonsense that this website reports - its basically a manufacturer's PR rehash operation :(