XTR - for DH Racing

Jan. 3, 2007, 1:09 a.m.

I like the 203mm XTR rotor
Unfortunately the XTR Hub and the Saint Hubs are not compatible :(

The Hope rotors of a similar style look way better anyways… :D Not that I'm obsessed or anything.

But seriously, does the Saint hub use an oversized centrelock? Wouldn't it make sense for the XTR to also use it since it is a 20mm hub as well? That is just silly. Is Shimano trying to shoot itself in the foot?

22 Pride

Jan. 3, 2007, 7:51 a.m.

shimano does not want people to use their parts with other companies parts! unlike sram who made the rocket shifter so we could use a shimano derailleur and a sram shifter. Shimano is like a monopole. They are trying to make sure as many shimano parts are used and not the others. And the only thing nice about the xtr is that they copied sram's shifter system. Shimano has been dead to me for many years….

I-SHIFT

didnt know nsmb was only for pros

its not, its only for dicks.

My Flickr

Jan. 3, 2007, 8:13 a.m.

now that 2007 SRAM X-9 is like the 2006 X-O but without the carbon bits

don't see XTR making the same impact

the X-9 gotta be the best bargain out there, and ideal for freeride or DH racing

still like Shimano's cranks, XT, Hone and Saint are best value / strength vs. weight / ease of install

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

Jan. 3, 2007, 8:34 a.m.

I have to say, Shimano saint cranks are the best cranks on the face of the planet.

As for the 2007 X.9 shifter it is very similar but not last years X.O. the thumb shift lever is not CNC machined and is NOT adjustable, the shifter is not equiped with bearings either and the outside shell is cast instead of cnc to save on cost. It is very very similar and works really well though. It trully is the best bang for the buck!!

vapir one review

My Flickr

Jan. 3, 2007, 9:13 a.m.

I just noticed that the press release also say, "Madison will also be providing the team with DT Swiss FR2350 and EX1750 wheelsets".

So that means no XTR rotors but likely they will be sporting the brakes.

Should make for a sweet set-up.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Jan. 3, 2007, 9:57 a.m.

DT Swiss do make make centerlock XTR compatible hubs. I think other do now too. The ceterlock system is so much better than 6 bolt jobs. Even tension so the rotor is less inclined to be warpped by uneven bolt tension. Very unlikely to back off too unlike some rotor bolts. I've always used a tiny dab of locktite so I have never had a problem but I have assisted a few guys in the woods with loose rotors.

Did no one notice that the riders are RACING on XTR? Racing is about going as fast as possible. That means light is right. XTR is all about being the lightest best functioning racing parts. Turns out though that in many instances it is also more durable because they use stronger alloys, better bearings etc.

Freeriding is a different game. Saint, Diabolus Hoosa feld and stuff like that are more apropriate.

I laugh every time I read stuff like this though, the SRAM vs Shimano crap. Why? Because I rode mountainbikes in the early 80's and the stuff we rode then was equivalent to Zellers brand crap in function. I mean really, try and and get some crappy equipment today. Even low level stuff works better than what we had back in the old days.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Jan. 3, 2007, 10:14 a.m.

maybe if they could fix the loop of cable on the rear derailleur i would be more impressed. sorry but that is just pathetic … that loop of housing adds so much friction it's not even funny.

Jan. 3, 2007, 10:48 a.m.

Im pretty sure the Athertons are running DTswiss wheels.

I also thought the reason the world cup circuit was rocking SRAM was cause they were spending the dosh on sponsorship rather than quality. Also with the new style shifters then the shift is quite similar.

On a technical note the Athertons arent sponsored by Shimmano directly they are sponsored by Madison the importer of Shimmano, commencial, DT Swiss and a whole heap of other stuff to the UK. That might affect the components they use. Also if you are on an unlimited train of parts then is there any need to have stuff lasting more than a run or two. Remember if Nico was rocking a Dura Ace crank at the mega avalanche.

j

Jan. 3, 2007, 12:12 p.m.

maybe if they could fix the loop of cable on the rear derailleur i would be more impressed. sorry but that is just pathetic … that loop of housing adds so much friction it's not even funny.

Can you put a number to the increase in friction? I do not doubt for a minute that a loop has greater friction than a straight line, but there are always a number of loops or bends in a shifting system what percentage of the final loop creates so much friction that the design is "pathetic".

I have tons of actual riding experience on both XO and XTR (2003 version) and can honestly say that I do do not detect much difference in shift quality or maintenance requirements ( especially this year with all this wet weather ). They both work exceptionaly well. Both require that the cable and housing be replaced periodically to shift optimally.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Jan. 3, 2007, 1:27 p.m.

oldfart,

please leave the internet. a voice of reason is the last thing we need around here…

Because that's just the way I roll…

Jan. 3, 2007, 3:02 p.m.

Shimano is like a monopole.

:lol:

XTR looks sweet for racing. I wonder how much an average 07 WC DH bike will weigh? 40? 35?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Jan. 4, 2007, 9:18 a.m.

X.O derailleur with carbon cage weights only 192 grams!!! it is 12 grams heavier then the dura ace derailleur from shimano!! Now that's impressive for a mountain bike derailleur.

Can't beat that!!

Mercury M-Series

My Flickr

Jan. 4, 2007, 4:27 p.m.

I've gotta say I like the look of the new XTR derailleur. That being said, I'm going to give SRAM a try for the first time on my new bike - at least until I smash it and decide to go back to Saint.