XT m8000 Brake - Warranty Issue?

Oct. 12, 2016, 11:14 p.m.

Anyone hear if there is a silent recall on the "N" (as indicated by the sticker under the lever) series* Shimano XT m8000 brakes?

What happened to me was simply the effect of the bite point moving way way way out. Basically to the very beginning of the lever pull. A few turns later the bite point resets and feels normal again the rest of the way down. It really only happened when applying the brakes while riding through braking bumps at high speed. - http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/2016-shimano-m8000-xt-brakes-980185-4.html

Oct. 13, 2016, 1:29 a.m.

I'd be really interested as well.

My M8000 does have a little bit of an inconsistency when it's cold outside.
The bite point is really far from the bars after a day of not riding. After a couple of brakings (is that a word?) it's fine again.

Not that bad, but I've heard of the "recall" well and wonder if the brake is fine or not.

My saints did it a tiny bit as well when they were new, but not anymore.

Oct. 13, 2016, 8:33 a.m.

Why not check with a Shimano dealer? Seems the way to go on mtbr

Oct. 13, 2016, 11:57 a.m.

I've been waiting for this. My rear M8000 has got this issue. Bled it multiple times using every trick, helps a lot but doesn't totally eliminate the wandering bite point.

I'm curious to see what the shops have to say.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Oct. 13, 2016, 12:30 p.m.

I have the same issue on my 2016 XT brakes on the Reign. I will look into it next time I take it in.

Oct. 13, 2016, 1:01 p.m.

After using avid brakes for a long while I chose XT's for my current bike since I had read nothing but glowing reviews on them, but to be honest I don't really like them and wish I had gotten Avid Guides instead.

This issue seems to ring a bell with me because the bite point was what was pissing me off and it seemed like bleeding only temporarily solved the problem.

Oct. 13, 2016, 4:23 p.m.

Interesting to read. I started experiencing the same thing on my XT's while in the Alps this summer (lots of long rough descents).

Since I came back to BC it's happened fairly often as well - mostly on longer descents. I'd been blaming sticky calipers, and actually just cleaned and lubed them the other day in an attempt to fix it. Too early to tell if that's solved it or not though.

Oct. 13, 2016, 4:27 p.m.

Yeah. I pined for Shimano brakes for years after suffering with my elixirs. Got some 9xx series xtrs and had to send them in for warranty due to variable bite point. Was given a set of the 9xxx series under warranty replacement. Those were even worse.

Went back to some 9xx xtrs and the front is ok, but the rear lever is starting to need a bleed after about every 2 rides.

Not exactly the level of reliability I expect after paying such a premium for "top of the line" brakes.

Such is life when dealing with bike stuff.

Very happy with my 11sp XT gearing. Anything to do with oil seems to be too complicated to make a reliable product.

Oct. 13, 2016, 9:57 p.m.

From what I've seen online the problem is far more common with rear brakes. I know on my bike I was able to fix the front with different bleeding techniques, but the rear didn't get better even with multiple bleeds.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried steel braided lines as a possible fix? I'm thinking since the only difference between the front and rear brakes is the hose length, maybe the hose is a contributing factor.

I know that pulling the brakes off and taking them to the lbs to await eventual warranty is the ultimate fix, but Jesus what a pain to go through that. Much rather just throw in some new hoses or something and be back riding immediately.

Oct. 14, 2016, 3:47 a.m.

I think there might be different things at play here.
Shimano brakes in general are really reliable in my experience.

They CAN show odd behavior sometimes when you take out a relatively new set of brakes to colder temperatures.
The quad rings on the pistons might be a little tight from the start, they might get a little bit stiffer when it's cold. Somehow that seems to result in a bite point further from the bars. If you cycle the lever a couple of times things are back to normal.

Shimano brakes with different piston material showed this behavior to a different degree - IMHO.

I've had SAINTS which didn't at all, some which did it slightly and a set of early 785s which drove me nuts, almost, until I just ignored my OCD and didn't constantly twiddle the reach adjust knobs.

With the M8000 there might be ANOTHER quirk. I've heard that Shimano sometimes swaps the levers.

Sometimes a little bit of mineral oil to the seals at the LEVER helps a lot too with pump up, you have to get the oil behind the servo wave mechanism though, tricky.

Oct. 14, 2016, 8:10 a.m.

Well at least its the perfect time of year to strip down the bike and pick up a shovel

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Oct. 14, 2016, 9:42 a.m.

Well at least its the perfect time of year to strip down the bike and pick up a shovel

And What? Dig a pit and bury those brakes? I've been considering new brakes that have more oomph than the 2015 XTs but it seems no brakes are immune to issues of some kind according to various magazine type reviews. MT7 sound great but you need the new lever for short fingers like mine. Shimano seem to suffer a wandering bite point. I like my Pike but most other SRAM stuff I have used is shit and I want to avoid DOT fluid. I did see a real deal for MT7 from Jenson (I think) for front and rear, with rotors and adaptors for $360 ish. Tempting but I am guessing they are the first generation levers that I will not get along with.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 14, 2016, 12:14 p.m.

I've had my pair of xt785's for nearly 3 years now. Still running good. Think ill get another pair before they sell out

Oct. 14, 2016, 3:15 p.m.

I think there might be different things at play here………………

Good info thanks for writing it up.

I should say I like the brakes and intend to keep them, just need some sorting.

At one time I had both Guides and XT's, sold the Guides. I prefer the extra oomph of the XT's.

Just stopped by Different where I bought my bike, they told me warranty on the brakes is 2 years. Good to know

My M8000 does have a little bit of an inconsistency when it's cold outside.

Where I live the lowest temps are in the 20's C, so it's not isolated to cold weather…

Oct. 15, 2016, 9:32 a.m.

I did more trailbuilding hours than riding hours in the last twelve months ;-)

But I enjoy both and had enough spare time to do a lot of both, so I'm a happy man.