XT 1x11 chainline again

May 10, 2016, 6:04 p.m.

i'm sure this has been batted around but can't find it. i've got the RF cinch 28tooth with the xt 1x11. the chainline in the 42 is apparently 51mm and fairly tortuous. backpedalling to line up the pedals to mount or whatever results in the chain dropping and i find it highly annoying. has anyone changed to 48mm chainline ring (like the NSB) and fixed this or is it a permanent feature of this drivetrain. my ring hasn't worn out and i'd hate to replace it only to find it has no bearing on this issue.

May 10, 2016, 10:13 p.m.

i'm sure this has been batted around but can't find it. i've got the RF cinch 28tooth with the xt 1x11. the chainline in the 42 is apparently 51mm and fairly tortuous. backpedalling to line up the pedals to mount or whatever results in the chain dropping and i find it highly annoying. has anyone changed to 48mm chainline ring (like the NSB) and fixed this or is it a permanent feature of this drivetrain. my ring hasn't worn out and i'd hate to replace it only to find it has no bearing on this issue.

I just setup my wifes bike with 1x11 XT. I made sure to move the spacer from the drive side to the non-drive side. She is running a Blackspire Snaggletooth 26T ring which I was told was ~48.5mm. Also running an SRAM chain. She only has one real ride on it, but in the stand it doesnt drop the chain on backpedaling in the 42T that I have noticed.

May 11, 2016, 6:23 a.m.

Yes. This will improve your chain line enough to alleviate the issue. I've used the North Shore Billet ring and now a friend of mine has done the same thing on his Pivot Mach 6. I was told by RF that their 51mm chain line with Cinch is optimized for Boost spacing. We'll it doesn't work that well with the Mach 6 which has boost spacing so go figure.

May 16, 2016, 12:21 p.m.

RF made a mistake "Optimizing" for a smallish part of the riding population (Boost Users).

I'll be buying a NSB ring for my Cinch Cranks and won't be considering another RF ring until they make one that works perfectly for 98.5%* of us non-boost riders.

*guesstimated boost populous of cinch crank users 1.5%

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

May 16, 2016, 2:19 p.m.

Anyone had good results with the One-Up at 49mm, or is it worth going the extra 1mm to 48?

Would like to try an oval ring, but seems I can only find round rings in a 48mm.

May 16, 2016, 4:23 p.m.

I've experienced the back pedaling issue on XT 1x11 cassette with the XT 1x cranks as well. XT 1x non Boost chain line is a 50.4mm…I've heard there might also an issue with the XT cassette shift ramps that amplifies the backpedal drop. I've seen the back pedal drop with plenty of full SRAM 1x11 setups too (49mm chain line) so it seems no one manufacturer is immune….

May 16, 2016, 9:34 p.m.

Anyone had good results with the One-Up at 49mm, or is it worth going the extra 1mm to 48?

Would like to try an oval ring, but seems I can only find round rings in a 48mm.

The One-Up chainline is better for sure… I use a B-labs chainring which is optimized for a 47mm chainline… super smooth.

May 17, 2016, 8:43 a.m.

Lynn Valley recommended the Wolf Tooth which is set inboard a few mm further than the RF. My Wreckoning doesn't have clearance for the ring to sit any further so it's not an option for me. Might be for you?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 17, 2016, 11:08 a.m.

The One-Up chainline is better for sure… I use a B-labs chainring which is optimized for a 47mm chainline… super smooth.

Hadn't spotted those, thanks! Got to drop to a 30t to get the 47mm, but does go down to 49mm with the 32t.

Did you manage to pick one up locally, or is it mail order only?

May 17, 2016, 7:05 p.m.

Hadn't spotted those, thanks! Got to drop to a 30t to get the 47mm, but does go down to 49mm with the 32t.

Did you manage to pick one up locally, or is it mail order only?

I ordered it from zee Germans…