xt 11 speed drivetrain

Feb. 21, 2016, 8:50 p.m.

My SRAM X01 type 2.1 rear derailleur just broke.

The clutch didn't work anymore, so I thought myself super smart and tried the fix which always worked for my type 2 X01 from last year.
But they apparently improved the clutch in such a way that right this trick breaks it. And it still retains the ability to stop working after a couple of rides ;-)

The end of a tiny spring actually broke out of the plastic part near the clutch. And I really barely touched it with the allen key.

Long story short, I'll buy a XT 11spd RD and trigger for a lot less than the 200$ replacement SRAM RD. They are nice and light, but I personally had to warranty four! X01s and xx1s. Then I read how to repair them and cure the creaking and could live fine with that etc. But with this 2.1 iteration, you're stuck without self repair possibility.

So, DO NOT try to fix your 2.1 type clutch. Warranty it. Saves money ;-)

The XT 11spd doesn't seem as crisp shifting, but at least I expect it to be reliable.

type 2.1 has the pin. If you want to adjust the clutch, you'll have to pin the pull out before you crank the cap with 8mm allen key

Feb. 22, 2016, 5:08 a.m.

type 2.1 has the pin. If you want to adjust the clutch, you'll have to pin the pull out before you crank the cap with 8mm allen key

That´s good info!

JBV, glad you like the 1x11 XT - I´ll order a shifter+RD now.

And it works with your oval ring? =)

Feb. 22, 2016, 9:56 a.m.

That´s good info!

JBV, glad you like the 1x11 XT - I´ll order a shifter+RD now.

And it works with your oval ring? =)

only problem is.. I don't know how to pull that pin out. They are often flush with the casing

I'm loving my xt 11spd as well. shifting is smooth and instant, trouble free so far

Feb. 29, 2016, 9:57 a.m.

http://m.vitalmtb.com/news/press-release/New-2017-Shimano-Drivetrain-Additions-with-11-speed-11-46t-Cassette-New-Chainring-and-Chain-Link,1261

11-46 cassette, masterlinks and narrow-wide rings next year.

Target weight for the cassette is 450 g. How much does a front derailleur and shifter weigh again?

Feb. 29, 2016, 10:19 a.m.

http://m.vitalmtb.com/news/press-release/New-2017-Shimano-Drivetrain-Additions-with-11-speed-11-46t-Cassette-New-Chainring-and-Chain-Link,1261

Target weight for the cassette is 450 g. How much does a front derailleur and shifter weigh again?

I hope that it's compatible with the mid-cage XTM8000/XTRM9000 rear derailleur. Shimano designed (not 3rd party extendo ring) 11-46 would be pretty cool.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Feb. 29, 2016, 10:41 a.m.

That would be cool for people who currently need to run a 26T or 28T with the 11-42T. Could up the size of the front ring. Im a little scared how much a 46T ring might start chewing into the driveshell though…

Feb. 29, 2016, 3:14 p.m.

The weights of these new cassettes are making 2x10 look good again.

Feb. 29, 2016, 3:23 p.m.

The weights of these new cassettes are making 2x10 look good again.

but front der's are soooo complex and confusing!

March 1, 2016, 4:07 a.m.

only problem is.. I don't know how to pull that pin out. They are often flush with the casing

I'm loving my xt 11spd as well. shifting is smooth and instant, trouble free so far

Okay, here's how I got the pin out:

I didn't pull the pin out, because I didn't know it was there . Then turned the Allen key with quite a bit of force and the pin actually sliced out a little chunk of the thread/derailleur. I cursed and thought that my RD was toast, then you told me about the pin. I actually found the pin after I backed up the bolt a bit and could pull it out with pliers, because of the crack/whole I tore into the RD earlier.

Experimenting with tension and the bolted part I am now at the conclusion that the left part of the thread might just hold the clutch still in.

I'll ride it and won't sweat the details and will just buy a m8000 once it explodes.

I think the addition of the pin is an embarrassment to SRAMs engineering department. It smells of planned obsolescence like no other bikepart I came across before.

;-)

March 1, 2016, 6:32 a.m.

I think the addition of the pin is an embarrassment to SRAMs engineering department. It smells of planned obsolescence like no other bikepart I came across before.

Adjustable clutch feature is a Shimano patent, I believe, which is why Type 2.1 was released at some point. As well as the pin, there's the plastic cover that's glued in.

I don't think the Sram ever wanted consumers to actively mess with the clutch and as such they spec'd a T55 torx cap on the derailleur.

March 1, 2016, 6:32 a.m.

but front der's are soooo complex and confusing!

:lol:

March 1, 2016, 3:10 p.m.

Adjustable clutch feature is a Shimano patent, I believe, which is why Type 2.1 was released at some point. As well as the pin, there's the plastic cover that's glued in.

I don't think the Sram ever wanted consumers to actively mess with the clutch and as such they spec'd a T55 torx cap on the derailleur.

Really? In my experience with three different SRAM 11 speed derailleurs those clutches need maintenance.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

March 2, 2016, 2:44 a.m.

Really? In my experience with three different SRAM 11 speed derailleurs those clutches need maintenance.

+1
They need clutch maintenance. I've owned four and they all needed it.

But what kperras says makes sense nonetheless, patent and stuff.
And I also believe that SRAM never intended customers to fiddle with the clutch.
But that's exactly the problem. If they don't want you to meddle, then they'd better design it in a way that it actually doesn't need maintenance.

I expect a 300$ RD to work longer than half an intense riding season.
At least my Shimano RDs always did.

March 2, 2016, 5:24 a.m.

Where will it end?

March 2, 2016, 5:27 a.m.

I have the funny feeling we will see some new development to 2x systems in the next 3 or 4 years that will spoil all the fun 1Xers have been having lecturing riders with trad-gear 2x and 3x setups.

I'm waiting for the Internet of Things and crowd-sourced on-the-fly gear selections made by my loyal Youtube followers as I live-stream my rides and leave all the shifting to them.