xt 11 speed drivetrain

Jan. 12, 2016, 7:51 p.m.

North SHore Billet is coming out with a 28t ring for the new XT.

Jan. 26, 2016, 9:57 p.m.

Is it possible at all to run a 10spd chain with the M8000 cassette and derailleur?

Shed head!

Jan. 26, 2016, 10:03 p.m.

Is it possible at all to run a 10spd chain with the M8000 cassette and derailleur?

i have heard yes

Jan. 26, 2016, 11:46 p.m.

why would you want to?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Jan. 27, 2016, 6:45 a.m.

Just wondering if it's possible in a pinch ie. trail side repair (your buddy only has a 10 spd chain in his pack) etc.

Shed head!

Jan. 27, 2016, 7:54 a.m.

Just wondering if it's possible in a pinch ie. trail side repair (your buddy only has a 10 spd chain in his pack) etc.

Dunno about running a full 10-speed chain, but I just use a 10-speed quick link on my 11-speed set-up (Shimano). It works fine.

Jan. 27, 2016, 9:49 a.m.

I run a KMC X-10SL on full X.01 drivetrain. Sizing is the same between 10 and 11 spd KMC chains.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 27, 2016, 10:34 a.m.

ah

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Jan. 27, 2016, 2:30 p.m.

I find it works just as good as any high end system, except that when I backpedal in the largest gear, it drops the chain down a gear, then you need to be gentle when you start forward again. This pisses me off.

Is it the setup? The frame? Or just a thing that 11 sp does?

I know it isn't cool, and it's heavier, -- and I sound like a cranky old retro grouch -- but this is a great reason to skip direct mount rings and just stick with a standard spider.

If you lived somewhere where your 1x11 drivetrain needed clearance for a 36t ring on a short chainstay bike then a sub-optimum chainline might be acceptable? But most everyone I know is running 32t or smaller, so the chainring can be moved inboard significantly on most frames with no clearance issues.

With a traditional spider you can just add chainring spacers between the spider and ring (longer chainring bolts/nuts may be required) until you have an optimum chainline for the 1/2 of the cassette you (the royal "you", not neccesarily you in particular) actually are using under load rather than a nice straight chainline in your 32:14 combo you use on the road.

Wheels Manufacturing makes a whole range of sizes. I can't remember for certain but I believe I used 1.2mm spacers with a 30t (already sits inboard) and 2.0mm with a 32t. Both on Shimano cranks. It made a notable difference.

Maybe compatible but far from optimized.

If you're on RaceFace they offer a spider for their direct mount. Adds weight (spider, ring, spacers, four bolts VS ring) but what's performance/longevity worth?

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Jan. 27, 2016, 2:52 p.m.

If you're on RaceFace they offer a spider for their direct mount. Adds weight (spider, ring, spacers, four bolts VS ring) but what's performance/longevity worth?

I know the RF direct mount rings have a chainline of 51mm. Some of the cinch competitors use a different chainline (48mm for Blackspire and 49mm for Wolftooth)so that might also help you out a bit if you are having chainline issues.

Chainring spacers also appear to be about $17-20US each, so would be an expensive experiment to get it dialed in.

Jan. 27, 2016, 3:43 p.m.

Chainring spacers also appear to be about $17-20US each, so would be an expensive experiment to get it dialed in.

I know we're all used to even the smallest/simplest bike parts being super expensive… But assuming you're talking about the Wheels MFG ones there are Twenty per bag :-).

So [HTML_REMOVED]$1 each.

I know the RF direct mount rings have a chainline of 51mm. Some of the cinch competitors use a different chainline (48mm for Blackspire and 49mm for Wolftooth)so that might also help you out a bit if you are having chainline issues.

True.

The more inset the ring is the bigger the initial piece of billet is going to be (wider) so in theory there is an added cost in materials, time, and tooling. But, if you have a direct mount crankset already, and get good chainline from one of those rings that is probably the simplest/cheapest/most elegant solution.

Retro grouch here is still pushing bolts/ring/spider.

Jan. 27, 2016, 7:53 p.m.

I know we're all used to even the smallest/simplest bike parts being super expensive… But assuming you're talking about the Wheels MFG ones there are Twenty per bag :-).

So [HTML_REMOVED]$1 each.

20 per bag? Yeah how did I miss that….thought something was amiss.

Jan. 27, 2016, 10:08 p.m.

A buddy recently chose to replace a rear der limit screw on his xo der. And that one screw was actually $20. Back on topic…

Jan. 27, 2016, 11:56 p.m.

A buddy recently chose to replace a rear der limit screw on his xo der. And that one screw was actually $20. Back on topic…

Yeah, guessing the Titanic would run aground on the rest of that story. On the one hand I'm like "$20 for a bolt?!", but then on the other hand in all my years working in shops I've sold two limit screw kits for SRAM derailleurs and depending on how you view a glass of water they would both have qualified as either "the price of an education", or "some people should not work on their own bikes."

I mean… just based on the way some folks go through derailleurs around here, I'd be surprised if any shop in town didn't have a few screws kicking around in the spares bin to help a buddy out.

Anyways, in general I've always found Wheels Manufacturing products to be a pretty good value for what they do if not for what they are, and I think $20 for 20 machined chainring spacers is pretty reasonable. Split it 5 ways with your buddies and everyone can have a better chainline. Will easily pay for itself in reduced chain, ring, and cassette replacements.

Jan. 29, 2016, 7:16 p.m.

I was a bit surprised to find that the 2 gear multi release upshift is gone on the pull, but still there on the push. I really enjoyed and liked that feature on 10spd xt, after spending forever on 9spd.