xt 11 speed drivetrain

Dec. 27, 2015, 1:11 p.m.

happy holidays eh.

does anyone have experience with the new shimano xt 11 speed yet? i've read only a couple reviews as it's pretty dam new to the market. Blistergear gave it a meh saying it was very stiff and slow shifting, not much different from 1x10 extended. on some other forum the guy said it was fantastic. my current 1x10 with 42 one up and xtr shifter is very slow and stiff. i turn off the clutch whenever possible it's so stiff. sounds like the new rear mech is also much easier to tune the clutch (allen key). having only recently tried SRAM x1 on a demo i was really impressed. super light action, fast and smooth. but the idea of the cost plus the 11 speed driver is a huge turn off, i don't think i would do it unless it came on a bike…

Dec. 27, 2015, 4:37 p.m.

Maybe a cable/housing change is in order? I have both a 1 x 10 XTR setup with 42 t extender cog and a 1 x 11 XTR setup and the shifting feel is similar albeit slightly less effort on the 1 x 11. And yes , the 1 x 11 has the adjustable clutch which i've only adjusted once after a break-in period.

Dec. 27, 2015, 6:52 p.m.

I've just come over from the One Up stuff to the new XT(42T) with Race Face(30T) front ring.

Shifting is slightly better than the One Up, and the shifting effort seems slightly easier as well.

Cables and housings are a possible reason for the poor review mentioned.

I've been riding before sunup the last few weeks in all kinds of crappy weather, and have never had a shifting issue with the XT. I have noticed backpedaling in the 42T position can drop the chain, but that seems to be hit and miss. Overall I am impressed with the cost vs performance of the XT gear.

Dec. 28, 2015, 12:58 a.m.

Maybe a cable/housing change is in order? I have both a 1 x 10 XTR setup with 42 t extender cog and a 1 x 11 XTR setup and the shifting feel is similar albeit slightly less effort on the 1 x 11. And yes , the 1 x 11 has the adjustable clutch which i've only adjusted once after a break-in period.

10spd shimano clutch derailleur does have adjustment as well, you just have to remove the cover and adjust it.

jbv, keep in mind, you do have to clean and grease up the clutch once in a while.

Dec. 28, 2015, 9:22 a.m.

Have XT 11spd on my Reign, and XTR 10spd w/OneUp 40T on my ht.

Can't wait to get XT 11 for my ht.

The shifting action is way smoother, and the jumps are way more balanced on 11spd. And yes, I have changed the cable on my ht and serviced the clutch. Maybe the old dt is worn out. But I'm way too stoked on the 11spd right now.

Dec. 30, 2015, 10:35 a.m.

I just priced up a full XT 11 speed kit on chain reaction. $400 ish.

Heres an alternative, sunrace 11-42 10 speed cassette. Keep your shifter, derailer, chain, etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SunRace-CSMS3-11-42T-10-Speed-Wide-Ratio-Cassette-ED-Black-New-In-Box-/321955542187?hash=item4af60bb4ab:g:EyAAAOSwUdlWeOBc

steel cogs are steel cogs, right? $70 USD to my door.

I dont see how oneup and others can justify ~$100 for an expander cog when you can buy complete cassettes for the same money.

Dec. 30, 2015, 11:13 a.m.

I just priced up a full XT 11 speed kit on chain reaction. $400 ish.

Heres an alternative, sunrace 11-42 10 speed cassette. Keep your shifter, derailer, chain, etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SunRace-CSMS3-11-42T-10-Speed-Wide-Ratio-Cassette-ED-Black-New-In-Box-/321955542187?hash=item4af60bb4ab:g:EyAAAOSwUdlWeOBc

I dont see how oneup and others can justify ~$100 for an expander cog when you can buy complete cassettes for the same money.

They can't really justify the prices they are charging. They just took advantage of a big gap in the component market that is now starting to slowly close.

Dec. 30, 2015, 11:17 a.m.

The guys over at MTBR have been obsessing over the SunRace cassette, more info here: http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shifters-derailleurs-cranks/sunrace-cassette-wide-range-962391-17.html#post11894865

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Dec. 30, 2015, 9:53 p.m.

Over the past year I've used XT and XTR 10 speed with Oneup, Sram 0X1, and xt 11 speed. I generally hate sram stuff but, I have to admit the xo1 system is great. Much better than the 10 speed Shimano. I really have no complaints. Having said that I prefer the new XT for a few reasons. The Shadow derailleur's narrow profile means fewer rock strikes which means fewer bent hangers. The XT shifter feels amazing, the down shift trigger has a great feeling texture on its face and I like the ability to drop two cogs at a time. It has a slightly heavier (more positive) feel than the sram but I could adjust it if I wanted to. The only real advantage of the pricey sram system is that the cog set is much lighter.
I think you can feel pretty safe saving some money and going XT.

Dec. 31, 2015, 7:20 a.m.

In my experience the Shimano stuff is more sensitive to a torturous cable routing. On my Bronson the XTR eleven is a bit stiff on the down shift compared to the X1 derailleur XO1 shifter it replaced. But the X1 derailleur was a POS. It creaked. It needed clutch maintenance often as it would seize up. Unless the mounting bolt was locktite glued, it would loosen itself and the b tension plate split. Unacceptable. And the SRAM stuff is more sensitive to a bent hanger.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Jan. 2, 2016, 10:29 a.m.

Anyone else?

I'll be due for a chain, cassette, and rear derailleur on my Remedy soon. Would be the perfect time to swap to 11 speed.

Based on my (limited) time on 11 speed XT the shift effort was higher than my 10 speed XT and IMO didn't feel quite as crisp. Different bike with (as Oldfart mentioned) different cable routing though, so not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

Anyone have extensive time on both, preferably on the same bike?

Jan. 2, 2016, 2:30 p.m.

I've got X1 and XT. Different takes on the same thing, I would rate them equally.

I like the feel of the Shimano lever better, and the dual release. SRAM has a lighter feel, and that 10t cog.

I'd be skeptical of a reviewer that gave either 11sd system a poor rating.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Jan. 2, 2016, 11:27 p.m.

I've had about a dozen rides on the new XT 11 spd: XT 11-40T cassette, XT mid cage rear derailleur, XTR shifter. I'm also using a 30T wolftooth chainring.

My initial thoughts are that shifting is really precise and consistent. I haven't used Shimano in years, but the XTR shifter is pretty amazing.

The only issue I've had so far has been the accidental clutch switch from on to off. This has happened twice. I'll have to keep a closer eye on it to see if it's the clutch itself or if it's caused from transporting my bike when I place it upside down to clean.

My previous drivetrain was a RF narrow wide on a 9spd (yes 9spd!) Sram XO shifter and X0 mid cage rear derailleur. This drivetrain also shifted quite well, just not as well as a clutch type system when being bounced around.

Jan. 3, 2016, 8:35 a.m.

I find it works just as good as any high end system, except that when I backpedal in the largest gear, it drops the chain down a gear, then you need to be gentle when you start forward again. This pisses me off.

Is it the setup? The frame? Or just a thing that 11 sp does?

Jan. 3, 2016, 9:10 a.m.

I find it works just as good as any high end system, except that when I backpedal in the largest gear, it drops the chain down a gear, then you need to be gentle when you start forward again. This pisses me off.

Is it the setup? The frame? Or just a thing that 11 sp does?

that's actually one of my least favourite attributes of 11spd systems on 1x….happens all too frequently and pretty much stops you dead in the middle of tech climbs