winter xc/am tire options

May 25, 2012, 3:37 p.m.

pics?….

May 25, 2012, 4:08 p.m.

pics?….

( I )

Wrong. Always.

May 25, 2012, 4:31 p.m.

The transition gap in the butcher is great for cornering in berms, but I found it much hairier when cornering over wet roots that the minion dhf handles with ease. I moved the butcher to the back and I like it there a lot. Minion dhf exo 3c up front, now. It rolls well and grips everything.

There's no place like fromme

May 28, 2012, 10:18 a.m.

The transition gap in the butcher is great for cornering in berms, but I found it much hairier when cornering over wet roots that the minion dhf handles with ease. I moved the butcher to the back and I like it there a lot. Minion dhf exo 3c up front, now. It rolls well and grips everything.

Good to know. Reps to you.

Wrong. Always.

July 8, 2012, 10:04 a.m.

paging Dr Lewis.

I need a new summer xc tire. Something nearly as fast rolling as say a crossmark but with a bit better cornering and braking. Had a few scary moments on hey bud yesterday where all back wheel traction vanished in places where some would have been nice.
How about the spec purgatory?

July 8, 2012, 11:13 a.m.

I've had great success with the Conti X-king 2.2 on my XC bike. Running tubeless and it rolls fast and corners well. Haven't ridden anything like Hey Bud on the tire but for my local riding spot the tire is fantastic.

Shed head!

July 8, 2012, 2:12 p.m.

I'm liking my Purgatory. Had a Crossmark on for the Nimby and ToM but switched it out for something with more grip. Don't get me wrong, the Crossmark is a great tire but had I been running it today down Cop Killer, I would have had quite a bit of trouble controlling speed!

Purg isn't that much slower on the climbs and grips off camber roots better. Much more braking control in the deep dust and grip on the rock rolls. For $55 you can't really go wrong either

July 8, 2012, 2:35 p.m.

I'm liking my Purgatory. Had a Crossmark on for the Nimby and ToM but switched it out for something with more grip. Don't get me wrong, the Crossmark is a great tire but had I been running it today down Cop Killer, I would have had quite a bit of trouble controlling speed!

Purg isn't that much slower on the climbs and grips off camber roots better. Much more braking control in the deep dust and grip on the rock rolls. For $55 you can't really go wrong either

thanks, sounds perfect.

July 16, 2012, 3:40 p.m.

threw the spec purgatory control on this morning before riding kashmir-big timber. Felt awesome. Drifted when i expected, stayed stuck when i wanted it to, and didnt really notice too much difference between it and the crossmark in rolling speed (i did switch out a ST minion for a 60a at the same time though)

July 16, 2012, 3:50 p.m.

We talking summer tires on the winter tire thread?

I put a 2.1 Kenda BBG UST/DTC on the front and a 2.1 Happy Medium UST/DTC on the back. First ride yesterday. Super fast on the hard pack. Didn't feel any lack of braking on a lightly drizzled on JetBoy/JetGirl.

They are pretty pinner little tires. The BBG is about the same size as a 2.35 Minnion single ply, but has a way beefier sidewall. Sized kinda like a 2.25 Racing Ralph. The Happy Medium is shorter sidewall and bit smaller.

Nov. 4, 2012, 3:27 p.m.

Just threw a 2.35 panaracer rampage sc on the back of the little bike. I have accidentally mounted it backwards twice so all of these thoughts are based on that. It was noticabley slower rolling than the well worn 2.25 purgatory it replaced. Much grippier on climbs, slippery rocks and roots, better braking traction and very confidence inspirng on corners. Also much harder to get it to drift than the purg.

if i can ever figure out how to mount a tire correctly on report back on running it the right way round as well