winter xc/am tire options

May 23, 2012, 1:51 p.m.

I'm running a lust crossmark and 2.35 minion f combo right now….the CM definitely requires some attention on wet roots and rocks, but it's not unmanagable…that being said I may jump to the dual minion setup with some stans since more of the techy stuff here in whistler is opening up, I like having that extra grip for sure…

I have a spare wheelset that I'm throwing on for shuttles/park days with a pair of DHFs, definitely more stable but as an all-round setup, having the Crossmark on my main set of wheels is a good option

May 23, 2012, 1:55 p.m.

I'm running a lust crossmark and 2.35 minion f combo right now….the CM definitely requires some attention on wet roots and rocks, but it's not unmanagable…that being said I may jump to the dual minion setup with some stans since more of the techy stuff here in whistler is opening up, I like having that extra grip for sure…

I've found that when it gets wetter, the Larsen offers a great compromise of traction/rolling resistance. In the dry, I think the Crossmark wins out though.

May 23, 2012, 2:03 p.m.

I am loving my purgatory in the rear.

I have to say that I am tempted to try Butcher control front, purgatory control rear.

Have you tried a butcher? It's minionesque allegedly.

Wrong. Always.

May 23, 2012, 2:29 p.m.

No, not yet…Bontrager also has a minionesque tire out that looks tempting. I also love the look of the new Ground Control tires…may try one this summer.

May 23, 2012, 6:21 p.m.

my stumpy came with butcher front, purgatory rear. pretty deadly combo, reasonable weight and rolling resistance for a high level of traction. purgatory is the best rear tire i've found. butcher is like a mini-minion.

May 23, 2012, 7:16 p.m.

I've been running a butcher 2.5sx on the front of my big bike and quite liked it but recently noticed I'm having issues when leaning it over into turns, seems like the gap from center to outside knobs is too big and a few times I've washed out. I may be running too much pressure (35 psi tubeless) and I think the 2.3's have a much smaller transition between knobs. Anybody else have issues like this?

May 23, 2012, 10:38 p.m.

that's pretty firm. trying airing down a bit perhaps. plenty of cornering traction, but the transition gap is not for everyone, gotta lean and commit.

May 24, 2012, 6:59 a.m.

Butcher Control is my new summer tire. It's a tad narrow, and sidewalls are kinda thin, but it seems to hook up on most everything. Transition takes a little getting used, just let off the brakes and lay it down and grin.

May 24, 2012, 7:07 a.m.

crossmark owned me on Trash's wet roots last night!

May 24, 2012, 8:30 a.m.

On my big bike I am running the Minion DHF/DHR 2-ply 3C. I did run a DHF on the back and did find it was better for rolling, but didn't offer as much grip as the DHR.

On my trail bike, I did run the DHF EXO 2.5 for a short while but they were the 60d not the 3C, for me they felt a little sketchy on anything slick. I would think the 3c version provides better capabilities in the wet.

From there I have been running a number Schwalbe tires for a little over a year. I get a bit of a deal on them so it eases the pain on the price front. Right now I have two wheel sets going that are close but offer some pros [HTML_REMOVED] cons. All tires are the foldable bead, 1.5 ply Snakeskin version.

Set1 - Front Muddy Mary 2.4 Vertstar / Rear Hans Dampf 2.35 Trailstar
Set2 - Front Hans Dampf 2.35 Trailstar / Rear Nobby Nic 2.4 Trailstar

The Muddy Mary upfront is crazy good on traction, rolls well but a little over 900g
The HD on the back is under 800g, rolls well and has great traction, climbing is super especially when the wheel is fully weighted.

The HD on the front is good, only a couple of rides so not too much time to really test it. It does seem to have a little bit of a funny spot when starting to corner, reminds me a little of the Ardent in that aspect. Never did like the Ardent as a front. The HD is far more stable and the transition is far less pronounced as compared to the Ardent.

The Nobby Nic on the back rolls better than the HD, but provides a little less grip. In terms of climbing both are excellent when the tire is weighted and just digs in, legs give out well before the tire does.

All in all I think most of the tire mftrs are pretty close in their offerings. If I wasn't getting a deal on the Schwalbes, I would likely be running a 3C EXO DHF, or perhaps the a Conti tire like the MK II, or perhaps the Specialized tires that I hear lots of favourable comments about.

May 24, 2012, 8:50 a.m.

Those are all super slow setups. Might as well run minions.

May 24, 2012, 9:46 a.m.

Butcher Control is my new summer tire. It's a tad narrow, and sidewalls are kinda thin, but it seems to hook up on most everything. Transition takes a little getting used, just let off the brakes and lay it down and grin.

I have a Butcher I've yet to try out. A bit concerned about this transition I always hear about. I had Minion sticky's once and sold them because they were way too slow for my needs but now that I think about it I recall finding the transition a bit unnerving too.

Oh well, if I don't like it on the front I suppose I can try it on the rear for the winter.

Wrong. Always.

May 25, 2012, 8:02 a.m.

transitions rock, that's what makes the 1st gen highroller/Weirwolf etc so much fun.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

May 25, 2012, 11:28 a.m.

i like the gap. a lot.

May 25, 2012, 11:33 a.m.

i like the gap. a lot.

How is the gap in slow technical stuff?

Speaking of gap, my butt sure looks nice in these GAP jeans. But I digress.

Wrong. Always.