winter xc/am tire options

Nov. 8, 2011, 7:42 a.m.

been riding my EXO Minion 60a's in all conditions this fall (granted not as wet as on the coast), been very happy. Last few rides of the season were in a skiff of snow with frozen roots and a bit of ice.
I expected some slippage and sketchyness in these conditions but aired down to 35psi front/rear and no problem with traction at all, super fast rolling and good to go.

Nov. 8, 2011, 9:30 a.m.

been riding my EXO Minion 60a's in all conditions this fall (granted not as wet as on the coast), been very happy. Last few rides of the season were in a skiff of snow with frozen roots and a bit of ice.
I expected some slippage and sketchyness in these conditions but aired down to 35psi front/rear and no problem with traction at all, super fast rolling and good to go.

My experience is that 60a is better than super tacky unless the super tacky is brand new. but a sharp tyre works better than a worn tyre and is more important than the durometer in my experience. The harder compound stays fresh longer.

Nov. 8, 2011, 9:36 p.m.

true in dirt, but i'll take slightly worn stickier rubber instead for wood/rocks.

Nov. 9, 2011, 10:19 a.m.

I just take some Panaracer Fire XC tires and goop a shit load of 5-10 rubber on them before every ride.
:shhh:

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 9, 2011, 1:36 p.m.

I went to find some Minions a couple weeks back because I have never ridden them. The shop I went to was convinced I wanted a DHR for the climbing I like to do but I ended up with a pair of Hans Dampf instead. Awesome grip. The remind me of Michelin DH Comp 16 or 24 in terms of soft rubber grip.

Grip comes from a combination of tread pattern and compound. When the surface is hard rock or wood, tread pattern offers little help. Soft sticky rubber is what you want there. Plus a fat tire can be run with lower pressure which provides a larger contact patch that equals more grip. It ain't rocket surgery.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Nov. 9, 2011, 1:39 p.m.

true in dirt, but i'll take slightly worn stickier rubber instead for wood/rocks.

i like to ride on dirt

:rave:

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 9, 2011, 2:58 p.m.

i like to ride on dirt

:rave:

I prefer crashing on dirt over rock or wood.
:alien:

Wrong. Always.

May 23, 2012, 1:26 p.m.

bump

OK so summer is coming but let's face it-it rains a lot.

What's the latest and greatest for xc/am tires for these parts?

Wrong. Always.

May 23, 2012, 1:27 p.m.

I am loving my purgatory in the rear.

May 23, 2012, 1:33 p.m.

I'm pretty impressed with my Crossmark out back. It was even respectable climbing and descending in the soft goop there at Full Nelson opening day, didn't slip out once on the climb. I was expecting it to be brutal in the inbetween conditions but it surprised me.

Still sticking with a DHF up front

May 23, 2012, 1:35 p.m.

I ran a crossmark last summer and it was a great climber…but watch out for high speed corners…sketchville. I also ripped the sidewall and had the tire blow off my mavic 321 rim as well, I won't run them again.

May 23, 2012, 1:43 p.m.

I'm pretty impressed with my Crossmark out back. It was even respectable climbing and descending in the soft goop there at Full Nelson opening day, didn't slip out once on the climb. I was expecting it to be brutal in the inbetween conditions but it surprised me.

Still sticking with a DHF up front

Another vote for a crossmark.

As for the comment about the sidewalls ripping, it could happen to any tyre, so it's not really fair to dismiss it for that. We ride amongst sharp rocks, it's to be expected.

May 23, 2012, 1:44 p.m.

I ran a crossmark last summer and it was a great climber…but watch out for high speed corners…sketchville. I also ripped the sidewall and had the tire blow off my mavic 321 rim as well, I won't run them again.

I'm running the LUST version and it's pretty solid. Beaten the crap out of it on the rocky trails up here and it's all good, 28psi

May 23, 2012, 1:47 p.m.

Another vote for a crossmark.

As for the comment about the sidewalls ripping, it could happen to any tyre, so it's not really fair to dismiss it for that. We ride amongst sharp rocks, it's to be expected.

I agree…but it has not happened to the pargatory and never to the telonix I was riding last winter…just an obersvation. I have been riding for over 20 years and never blew a tire off my rim like that (tubed)..it was crazy. I was impressed at how well it did on wet trails too…if they beefed up the side knobs a bit (maybe got rid of those little dot knobs) they would be a good tire…till then I will not run them again.

May 23, 2012, 1:48 p.m.

I'm running the LUST version and it's pretty solid. Beaten the crap out of it on the rocky trails up here and it's all good, 28psi

I'm running a lust crossmark and 2.35 minion f combo right now….the CM definitely requires some attention on wet roots and rocks, but it's not unmanagable…that being said I may jump to the dual minion setup with some stans since more of the techy stuff here in whistler is opening up, I like having that extra grip for sure…