winter xc/am tire options

Nov. 3, 2011, 6:25 p.m.

The tire was named the ADvantage b/c Alison Dunlap helped design it (A.D.). What size are you running on the rear? What tire are you coming off of? What issues are you having with the ADvantage?

2.35 on the rear, 60d. Coming off Minion 2.35. Issues……slips and slides on anything wet. I notice it most while climbing. I'm all new to this xc/am tire stuff.

Advantage is good in dry, scary in wet, neither slow nor fast.
Trail king ust should have better sidewalls.

funny, that's exactly what my friend Cory told me, but I needed to learn it myself. Oh well, I'll save it for summer.

The single ply High Roller on the front has impressed me, as I didn't like it as a dh tire.

Nov. 3, 2011, 7:13 p.m.

Continental tires are rather confusing. The tread looks the same to me.

I have a set of Rubber Queen 2.4's. They are too fat (too large of volume) but are still really good tires. If they made a lower volume with better sidewalls it would be the only trail tire I would ever ride. The Black Chili compound is amazing and the tires have a good compromise between grip and rolling resistance. Conti….please figure out your tires!!

So anyone know what the name of these tires is suppose to be? King or Queen.

Rubber Queen

Trail King

I heard somewhere that they changed the name to Trail King for the North American market.

The 2.2 Trail Kings I got a Steed seem like nice tires but I haven't ridden very hard on them so I can't say how they hold up to aggressive riding.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Nov. 3, 2011, 7:56 p.m.

I just ordered another set of Minion DHF 2.35 STs, but I'm way excited about a folding 2.2 HR2 ST.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Nov. 4, 2011, 6:11 a.m.

Last winter I rocked the Minion DHFs (2.35 single ply, super tacky) front and rear and had pretty good results overall, but I still got the odd pinch flat with this setup as I'm a fairly big guy and an aggressive rider.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a rear tire that will have similar levels of grip/traction in the wet but be a little less prone to the pinch flats? I'd also prefer to not go tubeless at this point.

Nov. 4, 2011, 9 a.m.

you could try the 2.5 exo/3c minion. its only 30 grams more than the ST. But its also fatter and slower i guess…
Maybe the 3c will make it fast than the ST and level it out a bit…

Nov. 4, 2011, 9:34 a.m.

I just ordered another set of Minion DHF 2.35 STs, but I'm way excited about a folding 2.2 HR2 ST.

so was I … until I found out they were actually heavier than the already quite heavy SP 2.35 Minion…BIG FAIL Maxxis.

Its not question the Minion FR 2.35 in he SP compound truly rocks but Ive yet to find something with the same grip in a lighter package…if only Maxxis made it foldable like the 60A compound I'd be the happiest camper ever.:trinity:

Nov. 4, 2011, 9:48 a.m.

Continental tires are rather confusing. The tread looks the same to me.

I have a set of Rubber Queen 2.4's. They are too fat (too large of volume) but are still really good tires. If they made a lower volume with better sidewalls it would be the only trail tire I would ever ride. The Black Chili compound is amazing and the tires have a good compromise between grip and rolling resistance. Conti….please figure out your tires!!

So anyone know what the name of these tires is suppose to be? King or Queen.

Rubber Queen

Trail King

Yeah like was just said, the Rubber Queen and Trail King are the same thing. They are sold in North America as Trail King now because some small penised big truck types weren't comfortable with riding something that sounds a lot like an inflatable blow up doll.

Great tire. I have a 2.2 w/ black chili and am strongly considering the 2.2 UST now that it has the black chili too. It's a huge tire for a 2.2, massive on my flows. I an only imagine how big the 2.4 is.

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 4, 2011, 9:53 a.m.

so was I … until I found out they were actually heavier than the already quite heavy SP 2.35 Minion…BIG FAIL Maxxis.

Its not question the Minion FR 2.35 in he SP compound truly rocks but Ive yet to find something with the same grip in a lighter package…if only Maxxis made it foldable like the 60A compound I'd be the happiest camper ever.:trinity:

The High Roller II 26x2.25 is not available yet, and no weights have been published. The test samples I've received are not heavier than the Minion DHF 26x2.35 ST, although the tire is actually quite bigger. Were you thinking about the HR2 26x2.4 perhaps?

And I agree with you about a folding SuperTacky version of the DHF 2.35.

Nov. 4, 2011, 10:04 a.m.

after a bit of googling, i found the following:

hr2 2.4 exo weighs 920 grams, dhf 2.5 exo weighs 855 grams

from what i've seen maxxis' new 2.4 casing is bigger/higher volume than their old 2.5 casing. so, weights on the hr2 aren't necessarily high compared to other maxxis offerings in the same class

i wan't a hr2 2.2 exo, please :D

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 4, 2011, 12:35 p.m.

I had recently purchased the updated Mountain King II in 2.4 with protection sidewall and the Black Chilli rubber. Was running this on the back of my trail bike. The few rides I had on it were good. A little slower rolling than the Nobby Nic Evo with the DD casing, but the MKII did have a little better traction.

I had a set of Muddy Mary with Snakeskin on order with the VertStar for the front and TrailStar for the rear. Everything I have heard on these seems like they would be well suited for our wet, slippy conditions on the shore.

Unfortunately, I destroyed my knee and won't be back on a bike until spring. I guess the positive side to this is that I saved some $$$ on gear that I didn't have to buy.

I haven't tried the EXO in 3C only the 60d, so I can't comment, but my 3C 2ply tires are okay but definitely not nearly as good as a Super Tacky on the front. So I don't think the EXO 3C would be as grippy as the Schwalbe TrailStar compound and would really be lacking compared to the VertStar compound.

Next year I will be back at it and hopefully get to try this out.

Nov. 4, 2011, 1:07 p.m.

I had recently purchased the updated Mountain King II in 2.4 with protection sidewall and the Black Chilli rubber. Was running this on the back of my trail bike. The few rides I had on it were good. A little slower rolling than the Nobby Nic Evo with the DD casing, but the MKII did have a little better traction.

I had a set of Muddy Mary with Snakeskin on order with the VertStar for the front and TrailStar for the rear. Everything I have heard on these seems like they would be well suited for our wet, slippy conditions on the shore.

Unfortunately, I destroyed my knee and won't be back on a bike until spring. I guess the positive side to this is that I saved some $$$ on gear that I didn't have to buy.

I haven't tried the EXO in 3C only the 60d, so I can't comment, but my 3C 2ply tires are okay but definitely not nearly as good as a Super Tacky on the front. So I don't think the EXO 3C would be as grippy as the Schwalbe TrailStar compound and would really be lacking compared to the VertStar compound.

Next year I will be back at it and hopefully get to try this out.

Heal fast, sir. Mojos sent.

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 4, 2011, 1:27 p.m.

Were you thinking about the HR2 26x2.4 perhaps?

YES, 900gr isnt HEAVY but it certainly much heavier than what other manufacturers are offering in the same size-iiish and also a few hundreds gr heavier than 2.35 foldable Minion…

Had no idea they would come out with a 2.2 version, would be nice if it'd be in the 6-700gr range :dizzy:
I couldnt care less about the weight of a tire on my DH but on my 6" bike, I often wish I could get at least the same weight as my back tire ( Minion 2.35 60A )up front where it makes more sense to shave a bit of rotational weight..

Right now the only tires Im tempted to try is the Butcher Control.All of the other Butchers wouldnt make sense as a replacement tire since they weight just as much but this version as good weight and thread pattern @ a reasonable price :

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=64097

…not sure about the compound at this point though.:???:

Nov. 4, 2011, 1:56 p.m.

YES, 900gr isnt HEAVY but it certainly much heavier than what other manufacturers are offering in the same size-iiish and also a few hundreds gr heavier than 2.35 foldable Minion…

Had no idea they would come out with a 2.2 version, would be nice if it'd be in the 6-700gr range :dizzy:
I couldnt care less about the weight of a tire on my DH but on my 6" bike, I often wish I could get at least the same weight as my back tire ( Minion 2.35 60A )up front where it makes more sense to shave a bit of rotational weight..

Right now the only tires Im tempted to try is the Butcher Control.All of the other Butchers wouldnt make sense as a replacement tire since they weight just as much but this version as good weight and thread pattern @ a reasonable price :

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=64097

…not sure about the compound at this point though.:???:

Based on the numbers (50 duro) it should be close in "stickiness" to a stickee nevegal. If you want something softer try the spec clutch control (45 side/ 50 centre duro)

Nov. 5, 2011, 10:11 a.m.

I am loving my Clutch Control now even more now that the trails have got wet. The only place I am having trouble with grip, and I think no tire is good, is wet leaves over roots/hard pack.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

Nov. 7, 2011, 10:23 a.m.

I am loving my Clutch Control now even more now that the trails have got wet. The only place I am having trouble with grip, and I think no tire is good, is wet leaves over roots/hard pack.

I'm really looking forward to trying one of those on the front. None of the specialized dealers around here currently have them in stock but they're waiting for a shipment to arrive.

Wrong. Always.