winter xc/am tire options

Oct. 5, 2011, 11:09 a.m.

i can tell you that a racing ralph is NOT a good winter option. constantly spinning on steep-ish rock slab climbs, slippy on off camper rock sections, deathly on wet polished roots.

I find the racing ralph (mind you mine are 2.1) sketchy even in the dry. I have a pair just sitting waiting for road/minor trail use. Would probably be a good cross tire if it was the right size.

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 5, 2011, 11:11 a.m.

I find the racing ralph (mind you mine are 2.1) sketchy even in the dry. I have a pair just sitting waiting for road/minor trail use. Would probably be a good cross tire if it was the right size.

i have a 2.25 i had FANTASTIC results with all 'summer' long. i put it on in August.

Oct. 5, 2011, 11:15 a.m.

i have a 2.25 i had FANTASTIC results with all 'summer' long. i put it on in August.

I enjoyed my Nobby Nic 2.25 (rear tire) all summer. I think a part of my problem with my RR's is the 2.1 width. Definitely get some more cush out of the 2.25 NN as I can run it at slightly lower psi. It doesn't feel any slower than my RR's either.

But now the rain is here and I'm trying other options.
:pizza:

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 12, 2011, 2:54 p.m.

Thread gump.

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 12, 2011, 10:35 p.m.

haven't tried this with the 26" version but a friend recently suggested running maxxis ardent backwards on my 29er after i complained that i find the ardent unpredictable and scary. sure as shit, it is a totally different animal run that way, my new favorite rear tire (at least this week). still rolls fast, but seems to have a far more predictable transition to the outer knobs, and good traction all around. 2.4 exo version is big, has a decent sidewall, and doesn't weigh a ton.

Oct. 13, 2011, 6:48 a.m.

If you do a lot of climbing and you have directional tires, running them backwards on the rear is most often the best way to go. Those braking edges will now be used for climbing traction. If you look at the Ardent, it is a very directional tire, but run backwards there is actually a lot of edges there to bite in. The only drawback is that you loose braking traction.

I'm running a set of CST protos with the rear tire on backwards and climbing traction has vastly improved.

Oct. 13, 2011, 8:27 a.m.

If you do a lot of climbing and you have directional tires, running them backwards on the rear is most often the best way to go. Those braking edges will now be used for climbing traction. If you look at the Ardent, it is a very directional tire, but run backwards there is actually a lot of edges there to bite in. The only drawback is that you loose braking traction.

I'm running a set of CST protos with the rear tire on backwards and climbing traction has vastly improved.

That is the trade-off though, you can climb well, but can't stop. I don't know if I would run the Ardent backwards for that reason. It is already a sketchy tire rolling the right way. However, it is more sketchy as a front.

Oct. 13, 2011, 9:32 a.m.

ive been running my crossmark backwards all year. made for some scary descents!

Oct. 13, 2011, 9:45 a.m.

If you are doing that with a normally- ramped leading edge tire then I hope you are climbing 100% of the time. Otherwise it would be sketchy….and stupid. But, if you have a tire with a block type pattern like a DH-F, you can still have braking edges if run backwards.

Oct. 13, 2011, 9:45 a.m.

been quite happy with the purgatory control on my 29er, so i've ordered up a pair these.
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=64097

Oct. 13, 2011, 10:10 a.m.

haven't tried this with the 26" version but a friend recently suggested running maxxis ardent backwards on my 29er after i complained that i find the ardent unpredictable and scary. sure as shit, it is a totally different animal run that way, my new favorite rear tire (at least this week). still rolls fast, but seems to have a far more predictable transition to the outer knobs, and good traction all around. 2.4 exo version is big, has a decent sidewall, and doesn't weigh a ton.

You really find it scary? I find the Ardent pretty decent on soft/intermediate run in the proper direction. It's a good weight/rolling resistance compromise from the Minion and I find the climbing traction pretty good. Wouldn't think about running it up front or on hardpack though!

That being said I'm still on the search for a 2.35 folding, sticky rubber solution for the winter. The Ardent exo I'm running is 60a and a bit big for my SB66 - I get a bit of buzz on the seat tube if I bottom out…I'm thinking of rolling the dice on a 2.35 super tacky minion single ply, see if it's flats as much as everyone says. Anyone know when the Highroller or dhr IIs are coming out in exo 3c?

Oct. 13, 2011, 11:17 a.m.

[QUOTE=ol' dirty;2576764]You really find it scary? I find the Ardent pretty decent on soft/intermediate run in the proper direction. It's a good weight/rolling resistance compromise from the Minion and I find the climbing traction pretty good. Wouldn't think about running it up front or on hardpack though!

That being said I'm still on the search for a 2.35 folding, sticky rubber solution for the winter. The Ardent exo I'm running is 60a and a bit big for my SB66 - I get a bit of buzz on the seat tube if I bottom out…I'm thinking of rolling the dice on a 2.35 super tacky minion single ply, see if it's flats as much as everyone says. Anyone know when the Highroller or dhr IIs are coming out in exo 3c?

This is the best option for PNW riding. The ST compound rolls painfully slow on hardpack and road, but who's doing road ride outs in the winter anyways. The good news is that you'll be able to ride up and down anything with confidence. Run tubeless and you won't have to worry about flats.

I highly recommend the Single Ply, Wirebead, ST Highrollers or Minions for winter riding. Nothing compares.

Oct. 13, 2011, 11:23 a.m.

Yeah for sure! In winter I'll switch up the 3c Exo 2.5 Minion up front for an ST, sticks like glue! I'd run the same in the back but I need something a bit smaller.

I was thinking about going tubeless…any experience converting a 521 with a 2.35 wire bead minion using stans, etc?

Oct. 13, 2011, 11:25 a.m.

This is the best option for PNW riding. The ST compound rolls painfully slow on hardpack and road, but who's doing road ride outs in the winter anyways. The good news is that you'll be able to ride up and down anything with confidence. Run tubeless and you won't have to worry about flats.

I highly recommend the Single Ply, Wirebead, ST Highrollers or Minions for winter riding. Nothing compares.

Are they easy to set up tubeless with just Flows, yellow tape and teh Stans goopittyoop?

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 13, 2011, 12:51 p.m.

[QUOTE=ol' dirty;2576803]Yeah for sure! In winter I'll switch up the 3c Exo 2.5 Minion up front for an ST, sticks like glue! I'd run the same in the back but I need something a bit smaller.

I was thinking about going tubeless…any experience converting a 521 with a 2.35 wire bead minion using stans, etc?

2.35 minion on a 819. just stans. it works