winter xc/am tire options

Sept. 28, 2011, 5:49 p.m.

Riding the 2011 Nic Pacestar TL's - rolls along like a stung monkey, sub-600g yet compound grips as good or better than Black Chili. The tread pattern corners well once you dial in the pressure. I run them 25f/28r w/zero problems. Highly highly recommended…They're fast clark, fast I tell'ya.

I had these on for a couple of rides earlier this year (including Wade's Excellent Adventure) [HTML_REMOVED] I can't say I was impressed. They're a good weight [HTML_REMOVED] they roll pretty well, but I found them sketchy on the descents. They definitely didn't agree with wet rocks [HTML_REMOVED] roots. The Hans Dampfs in the Trailstar compound are better, but they're a big tire for an AM bike [HTML_REMOVED] I didn't get on with their very round profile.

I'm having good results with Minion F Exo 2.5s with the 3C compound at the moment. 3C seems to be a good compromise between too slow Super Tacky [HTML_REMOVED] borderline dangerous 60A. The sidewalls are decently thick without being too heavy [HTML_REMOVED] they work well tubeless.

Looking forward to trying some single ply High Roller II's though.

Sept. 28, 2011, 6:20 p.m.

Put some Continental Trail King 2 tires on my NomadC - 2.4 Protection version… and I'm already back to my Rampage SC's. They rolled fairly slowly, solid on dirt, solid on rock, terrifying on roots/wood (all relative to the Rampage SC).

Sept. 29, 2011, 8:23 a.m.

so … has anyone here run any of the newer WTB tire offerings? I've tried some in the past, and while they should work in another part of the world, i've never had luck with them here. has this changed at all?

Sept. 29, 2011, 10 a.m.

I'd be curious to try out those CHEAP Panaracers Rampage to replace my HEAVY ST 2.35 Minion fr but Im a little confuse which one I should get from these guys :

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=panaracer+rampage

Is the 2.35 roughly equivalent to Maxxis ? Which one has the sticky rubber, the sport or the plain one ?

Im hoping these could be a great winter alternative to my current minion but Im a bit worry with their resemblance to Nevegal which to me have to be the worst tire ever . . . Then again if I could shave off a few hundreds grams @ 40$ a tire,I'd say its worth the try.

Sept. 29, 2011, 10:51 a.m.

Yeah I'm tempted to try those Panaracer Rampage SC 2.35 tyres but my research shows they don't work well tubeless.

Dear God:

I seek the following:
All mountain front tire 2.35ish width, tubeless ready/ust, sub 800 grams, sticky compound. So far the only things that seem to fit the bill are

1. Hans Dampf (quite pricey, wear quickly but that's ok it's for the front)
2. Specialized Clutch Control (50 compound in the middle, 45 on the edges, price is nice on the US site but they don't ship to Canada, my local Specialized dealer have none in stock…maybe I'll get them to order some in? Not sure what it would cost at that point tho.)
3. Specialized Butcher Control (same deal as the Clutch as far as price and availability…bit lighter than the Clutch, but it's compound is 50 all over.)

Are you there God, it's me Margaret?

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 29, 2011, 10:52 a.m.

only the "SC" version of the rampage has the sticky rubber. the regular version would be a scary winter tire around here.

Sept. 29, 2011, 12:20 p.m.

only the "SC" version of the rampage has the sticky rubber. the regular version would be a scary winter tire around here.

I'm pretty tempted to try those Rampage SC tires if they are what you say they are Clark. I'll try and order some order and give em a go.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

Sept. 29, 2011, 2:56 p.m.

I have one on the way from summit here in whistler. Will let everyone know how it rides.

Oct. 1, 2011, 1:43 p.m.

Ignitor 2.35 eXC/LUST/UST. 835g.
I just took off my Ikons for the fall… forgot how much I like the Ignitor. Pretty hefty but worth every gram on the way down. Haven't tried minions or highrollers though.

Oct. 2, 2011, 1:37 a.m.

People who exclusively ride XC tires in a way have an advantage over those of us who consider Minions to be all season tires…

flickr

Oct. 2, 2011, 8:25 p.m.

People who exclusively ride XC tires in a way have an advantage over those of us who consider Minions to be all season tires…

I was just thinking that 3C's are wintery enough for me, and I think winter is a good time to let a few extra grams find their way onto one's wheels. To me there aren't different tire options, only different compounds…

Oct. 2, 2011, 8:41 p.m.

Are they ever going to make a 2.35 3C minion?

Oct. 2, 2011, 9:44 p.m.

Are they ever going to make a 2.35 3C minion?

The 3C 2.5 DHF Exo on my Range is so pinner I was about to call you out until the sidewall reading told me otherwise.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 4, 2011, 2:45 p.m.

So I got a Clutch Control 2.3 tubeless ready (50 duro center, 45 duro shoulders). I want to run it with my black chili Trail King 2.2 non-UST. I'll run a tube with the Trail King and the Clutch tubeless on flows.

I'm thinking most likely Clutch on the front and trail king in the back. Is this how you'd do it?

Alternatively I may try it both ways around using a tube for both tires and then when I settle on which I prefer do the stans tubeless messy thing with the clutch on the appropriate end.

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 5, 2011, 7:07 a.m.

i can tell you that a racing ralph is NOT a good winter option. constantly spinning on steep-ish rock slab climbs, slippy on off camper rock sections, deathly on wet polished roots.