winter xc/am tire options

Sept. 22, 2011, 4:07 p.m.

The highroller 2 only comes in dh specific casings though according to the maxxis site, not really much help for little bikes.

Sept. 22, 2011, 4:13 p.m.

The highroller 2 only comes in dh specific casings though according to the maxxis site, not really much help for little bikes.

for the record, i wants 'em in 2.35 60a and 2.5 3c exo

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 22, 2011, 5:48 p.m.

Kevlar, single ply in smaller sizes are in the works.

Sept. 22, 2011, 6:08 p.m.

Yup and it is a very nice tire for the wet. I m running a very tacky single ply front tire right now too.

Sept. 22, 2011, 6:48 p.m.

Maybe I was looking at the int'l site, but an EXO version was on the Maxxis site.

I'm considering going back to a DH tire on the front just for the straight up monster truckin' aspect.

flickr

Sept. 22, 2011, 7:55 p.m.

sweet, ill call fall and tell it to hold off…

Sept. 23, 2011, 12:04 p.m.

sweet, ill call fall and tell it to hold off…

haha.:woot: Where the hell were you in June and July?

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 23, 2011, 12:34 p.m.

waiting for that…:clap:

Sept. 27, 2011, 8:22 p.m.

Riding the 2011 Nic Pacestar TL's - rolls along like a stung monkey, sub-600g yet compound grips as good or better than Black Chili. The tread pattern corners well once you dial in the pressure. I run them 25f/28r w/zero problems. Highly highly recommended…They're fast clark, fast I tell'ya.

NSMBA member.

Sept. 27, 2011, 9:42 p.m.

yeah i like nic's too, pretty fast for how much traction you get, snakeskin sidewall is excellent, pretty predictable overall. rubber not so great when its super slick though. panaracer rampage SC blew my mind in nasty conditions.

Sept. 28, 2011, 9:40 a.m.

Riding the 2011 Nic Pacestar TL's - rolls along like a stung monkey, sub-600g yet compound grips as good or better than Black Chili. The tread pattern corners well once you dial in the pressure. I run them 25f/28r w/zero problems. Highly highly recommended…They're fast clark, fast I tell'ya.

My nobby nic 2.25 with the evo compound (pre "pacestar") isn't nearly as grippy as my trail king with black chili. Are these new schwalbe compounds a drastic improvement over the past in the wet stuff? I like my nic as a rear tire when it's mostly dry and can live with it in the wet but on the front in the wet was kind of scary.

I do like the tread pattern though, the size of the 2.25 on the back of my hardtail and now that they are all tubeless ready is cool too (my older one isn't.)

But seriously, is the pacestar that much better than the previous evo compound?

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 28, 2011, 1:10 p.m.

My nobby nic 2.25 with the evo compound (pre "pacestar") isn't nearly as grippy as my trail king with black chili. Are these new schwalbe compounds a drastic improvement over the past in the wet stuff? I like my nic as a rear tire when it's mostly dry and can live with it in the wet but on the front in the wet was kind of scary.

I do like the tread pattern though, the size of the 2.25 on the back of my hardtail and now that they are all tubeless ready is cool too (my older one isn't.)

But seriously, is the pacestar that much better than the previous evo compound?

I haven't ridden the old Nic's, but the Brit's have been gushing about their grip for years, and those blokes are always riding in the wet. My Conti's with chili rubber were close, but definitely not better than the new Nic's. Never tried the new Panaracers - still shudder when I think about their FireXC's (make the CrossMarks look like a wet conditions tire).

NSMBA member.

Sept. 28, 2011, 2 p.m.

yeah i like nic's too, pretty fast for how much traction you get, snakeskin sidewall is excellent, pretty predictable overall. rubber not so great when its super slick though. panaracer rampage SC blew my mind in nasty conditions.

That Panaracer Rampage SC is awfully Nevegal-esque Clark. What is the rubber compound like, any idea on durometer?

I tried a couple different AM tires this summer and gotta say my favourite AM tire is still the 2.35 single ply, folding bead, Stick-E Nevegal. I find it a great compromise of rolling resistance, traction and weight. Your earlier comments regarding the 2.1s Clark have me interested in trying those out.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

Sept. 28, 2011, 3:49 p.m.

I haven't ridden the old Nic's, but the Brit's have been gushing about their grip for years, and those blokes are always riding in the wet. My Conti's with chili rubber were close, but definitely not better than the new Nic's. Never tried the new Panaracers - still shudder when I think about their FireXC's (make the CrossMarks look like a wet conditions tire).

Good to know.

Now I've been reading stuff about some of the new Schwalbe's not working well with various Stans ZTR rims. ARgh.

:alien:

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 28, 2011, 4:35 p.m.

I got new schwalbes on stans rim, no problem.
Timmay, I could be wrong but I believe rampage predates Nevegal. Regardless, better sidewalls and far stickier rubber than kenda's sticky, I'd guess low 40s durometer.