winter xc/am tire options

Nov. 13, 2010, 10:36 p.m.

My update: Had to give up on the single-ply Nevegal stick-e for the rear. Sidewalls are just too crappy resulting in too many pinch flats (this is a hardtail, and I do ride with some pace on familiar trails). I've adapted more to the Nevegal on the front, and I think I'm at peace with it given the cost/weight/grip tradeoffs.

Picked up a Nobby Nic evo-snakeskin as the replacement back tire, mostly out of curiosity and the fact that I like Schwalbe's road tires. Sidewall is way, way ahead of the Kenda, but the rubber compound is definitely a little sketchy on the roots. Hooks up fairly well in the mud a loamy stuff, though, especially considering how well it rolls. Way faster tire than the one it replaced, obviously, and as such there's the unavoidable tradeoff in grip. Overall, I can live with it for the rear, but would not want it on the front. Pretty sure it's the 2010 version, so no comment on possible differences on the 2011 rubber.

I've ordered a Rampage SC and a Specialized Clutch for experimentation. Will update again once I give 'em a try for front/rear duty. I'd like to try the Conti too, but had to draw the line [HTML_REMOVED] budget somewhere. :)

Nov. 14, 2010, 8:51 a.m.

i ran minion exo DHF 2.5 60 durometer front and rear all summer (except whistler when i put minion DHF [HTML_REMOVED] R on)and have no complaints. they are fast and, at least throught the drier months, have good grip. i recently got a 3c durometer version which i will be trying out on the front but am hoping to keep the 60 durometer in back. i live in seattle and ride a mix of terrain and for my money these tires @ 840 grams each are a pretty good compromise

Nov. 14, 2010, 12:49 p.m.

kenda sidewalls are complete garbage for sure. for some reason my blur xc is flat-proof, so i'm getting away with it. zero flats so far and i've beat it down pretty hard all summer.

Nov. 14, 2010, 1:22 p.m.

i ran minion exo DHF 2.5 60 durometer front and rear all summer (except whistler when i put minion DHF [HTML_REMOVED] R on)and have no complaints. they are fast and, at least throught the drier months, have good grip. i recently got a 3c durometer version which i will be trying out on the front but am hoping to keep the 60 durometer in back. i live in seattle and ride a mix of terrain and for my money these tires @ 840 grams each are a pretty good compromise

Let us know how that goes… we're not sure what to think of the Exo 70/60/50 3C compound, and they're not available locally just yet.

flickr

Nov. 15, 2010, 4:39 p.m.

Now go back to the DH-F and look at that massive channel and 45 degree inside bevel on those center knobs. That essentially is taking away the tire's critical traction (ie: braking and climbing stand-up traction. Leaning it over is much better). Now when its brand new, it works ok, but that's mostly because the tire is at its best. What that center knob does is channel dirt through it, unlike a center block which will 'plow' into that dirt. Get what I'm saying? With that tire, they went for something that kinda looked good without actually thinking about knob shape and placement. The side knobs are brilliantly simple, as are most Maxxis tires.

frak. i was just about to order some 2.5 dhf exo's, but this makes a lot of sense: they hook up great when leaned over, but straight line braking on my 2.35 minions is kinda shite.

anything out there that hooks up in the corners like a minion but has more straight line/stand up traction, esp. for stopping? i'm not too concerned about weight but would like to keep it under 900g. hey wayne is there an exo highroller in the pipeline?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 15, 2010, 4:42 p.m.

frak. i was just about to order some 2.5 dhf exo's, but this makes a lot of sense: they hook up great when leaned over, but straight line braking on my 2.35 minions is kinda shite.

anything out there that hooks up in the corners like a minion but has more straight line/stand up traction, esp. for stopping? i'm not too concerned about weight but would like to keep it under 900g. hey wayne is there an exo highroller in the pipeline?

I can't divulge, sorry…… but the current High Roller is what you are looking for. I am running a 2.35" single ply (wire bead) up front on my Reign and what can I say - that tire can do no wrong.

Nov. 15, 2010, 5:06 p.m.

but the current High Roller is what you are looking for. I am running a 2.35" single ply (wire bead) up front on my Reign and what can I say - that tire can do no wrong.

huh. how's width/volume of a 2.35 high roller compared to the minions - same as the dhf 2.35 or bigger?

edit: do no wrong = suitable for north shore winter slop?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 15, 2010, 5:16 p.m.

Should be the same size (other than odd irregularities from the factory). ;)

I used to run High Rollers as my front tire quite often, when I lived in North Van. It was my go-to tire for 'overall' conditions - where you might see a bit of everything on your ride.

Dec. 4, 2010, 8:27 p.m.

Finally went for a ride on my new Panaracer Rampage SC 2.35 (in front). It performed great through roots and rocks and 2-3 inches of snow. Love it!

Now I need a rear tire, wonder if I should put a Rampage on the back too? HMM. I used a old Panaracer smoke and had a couple rear slide outs….:agree:

Suggestins?

Jan. 25, 2011, 3:29 p.m.

Update. I've been running a Specialized Clutch SX 2.30 (roughly the same width/volume as a Minion 2.5) for a week now on the front end of the hardtail.

TLDR; Recommended. A++++++. Would buy again.

Yip, it folds:

Mounted on a 23mm rim:

Like the earlier posters re: this tire, I'm impressed. I'd be hard pressed to say it's done worse in any situation I've had it in over this last week of rain and mud than the Minion DHF 3Cs I run on my SX Trail. It brakes better in a straight line, actually. In fact, I wish I were running these on the SX this time of year - would have saved a good chunk of cash, and I'd be saving ~300g per tire to boot. My scale had this one at 948g, btw.

Obviously it doesn't exactly roll like a speed daemon, you'll be struggling on long pedalling sections on rides with buddies who are on more XC-focussed tires. But you'll be laughing and ripping it up having a fun time when they're sketching out and generally riding scared when the terrains gets a bit technical.

The sidewalls seem plenty durable, btw. No worries of pinch flats from minor hits, and no signs of folding for me so far. I'm running it at ~30psi, which seems about right for this tire.

Overall, the Clutch SX is an awesome tire if your BC AM riding involves, say, going downhill over rocks and roots. It is not, of course, a fast-rolling XC tire. It does render the single ply Nevegal utterly obsolete, IMO, and gives even the 2-ply DH tires a run for their money. I got mine at Secret Cycles in Coquitlam, any Specialized dealer can order them in.

May 9, 2011, 10:48 a.m.

Update. I've been running a Specialized Clutch SX 2.30 (roughly the same width/volume as a Minion 2.5) for a week now on the front end of the hardtail.

TLDR; Recommended. A++++++. Would buy again.

Yip, it folds:

Mounted on a 23mm rim:

Like the earlier posters re: this tire, I'm impressed. I'd be hard pressed to say it's done worse in any situation I've had it in over this last week of rain and mud than the Minion DHF 3Cs I run on my SX Trail. It brakes better in a straight line, actually. In fact, I wish I were running these on the SX this time of year - would have saved a good chunk of cash, and I'd be saving ~300g per tire to boot. My scale had this one at 948g, btw.

Obviously it doesn't exactly roll like a speed daemon, you'll be struggling on long pedalling sections on rides with buddies who are on more XC-focussed tires. But you'll be laughing and ripping it up having a fun time when they're sketching out and generally riding scared when the terrains gets a bit technical.

The sidewalls seem plenty durable, btw. No worries of pinch flats from minor hits, and no signs of folding for me so far. I'm running it at ~30psi, which seems about right for this tire.

Overall, the Clutch SX is an awesome tire if your BC AM riding involves, say, going downhill over rocks and roots. It is not, of course, a fast-rolling XC tire. It does render the single ply Nevegal utterly obsolete, IMO, and gives even the 2-ply DH tires a run for their money. I got mine at Secret Cycles in Coquitlam, any Specialized dealer can order them in.

McInteresting and good to mcknow.

I'm running a Conti Trail King 2.2 black chili on the front of my xc hardtail with a Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 on the back. I like the conti quite a lot but the Nobby Nic is scary on wet roots. Maybe I'll get a Clutch SX for the front and put the Conti Trail King on the back. Or maybe just get another trail King. I do like the Nobby Nic (and Racing Ralph) a lot for dry summer weather though. They're fast and comfortable.

:idea:

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 22, 2011, 2:12 p.m.

bringing this one back to the top as i need new tire/s.
Currently got a 2,35 dhf and crossmark out back. Want to replace the crossmark with something better suited for the fall weather…i would put the dhf on the back if someone has a good front tire to replace it with
nothing in whistler shops really looks amazing though.

Sept. 22, 2011, 2:43 p.m.

If anyone is interested I have a pair of EXO Minions that are almost new. PM if interested.

They are not the 3C version so would be best suited to a rear tire. Nice deep treads that stay clear even in the NS slop.

Cheers

Sept. 22, 2011, 2:45 p.m.

wouldnt be a High Roller a good tire for little wet conditions?? better than a Minion??

Sept. 22, 2011, 3:02 p.m.

High Roller 2 - soft/intermediate conditions (especially where you need good braking traction, think steep and loamy)
Minion front - intermediate/hard
Minion rear 2 - soft/intermediate

general guidelines.