winter xc/am tire options

Nov. 5, 2010, 6:52 p.m.

So are the Nevegals THAT bad in the wet? I was going to run folding 2.35 DTCs on my hardtail for winter Fromme/Seymour rips, but now I'm thinking maybe not.

Nov. 5, 2010, 7:38 p.m.

nevegal sticky is not horrible, but there are better options.
haven't tried nobby nic, sound like the 2011 rubber might be improved a bit. the current "evo" compound is sketchy.

rode the hutchinson 2.35 toro "enduro" with their "medium" compound today. 670 grams, pretty low volume (similar to maxxis 2.35). rolls extremely fast, and tread pattern and knob size seem good. the rubber is very firm (similar to maxxis 70, i'd hate to try their "firm" compound!). the sidewalls are stout, but have poor compliance. required borderline air pressure to keep it hooked up.

Nov. 7, 2010, 9:07 p.m.

more time on rampage SC, liking it more and more. trimmed off every other transition knob for slightly improved cornering traction on dirt/wet leaves.

tried a nevegal 2.1 sticky today - 650 grams (heavier than expected), but it's relatively large for its size. always thought this was a decent rear tire, and i'm impressed again with it. impressive climbing and braking traction over wet roots/rocks, much better than michelin, but rolls slower for sure. will do some knob trimming and try it up front next.

Nov. 8, 2010, 10:11 a.m.

Nice. I had the Nevegal 2.3 folding DTC's front and rear at 50psi on Pingu/Pangor and Bobsled/Ladies/NH/Immonator this weekend in the wet. They were actually not bad at all…worth the weight savings for the ride up. Stickys would be better I'm sure but I couldn't get my hands on a folding set.

Nov. 8, 2010, 10:13 a.m.

Nice. I had the Nevegal 2.3 folding DTC's front and rear at 50psi on Pingu/Pangor and Bobsled/Ladies/NH/Immonator this weekend in the wet. They were actually not bad at all…worth the weight savings for the ride up. Stickys would be better I'm sure but I couldn't get my hands on a folding set.

why?

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Nov. 8, 2010, 10:15 a.m.

Really? Wanna clarify the question?

Nov. 8, 2010, 10:16 a.m.

Two things regarding the Maxxis tires. The High Roller is a far slower rolling tire than the Minion DHF. I also think the High Roller has better traction than the Minion DHF. Maybe just me, but we could devise an experiment to settle this once and for all.

Have you tested that on a PM?

Nov. 8, 2010, 10:17 a.m.

I'm still loving my 2.5 exo minion f's….even with tearing a sidewall on a sharp rock at the bottom of a rock roll saturday

Nov. 8, 2010, 10:27 a.m.

I'm still loving my 2.5 exo minion f's….even with tearing a sidewall on a sharp rock at the bottom of a rock roll saturday

so, the exo casing's not so tough? do you have the regular or 3c version?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 8, 2010, 10:28 a.m.

Maybe your gauge is off??? I think you'll find that 25psi would be far more effective - Those tires are also the most flimsy, flat prone option you can run (is this why the 50psi?)- they come stock on bikes because they're cheap and keep the weight numbers down for marketing purposes. Honestly they're just about the worst option you can find. Kudos to you for making it down the trails you noted alive. Look into a 1.5 ply casing tire with extremely soft durometer rubber for the rear - you might get away with a single ply on the front - but either way - try air-down - after what you've been running it should be like riding a different bike.

I think the most critical factors for winter tires are durometer, volume and a stable casing. Every manufacture has there take on tread pattern but I don't think it's impact is particularly critical in our conditions. The ability to air down and not flat combined with sticky rubber is paramount.

Nov. 8, 2010, 10:35 a.m.

so, the exo casing's not so tough? do you have the regular or 3c version?

I wouldn't say that, it was a steep roll into a narrow choke with a sharp 3-4" rock sticking up right at the bottom….just a tiny tear but enough that the sealant couldn't handle it, but that's why I carrying a spare tube with me!

Nov. 8, 2010, 11:27 a.m.

Superl8 - Yeah, 50psi is excessive but I hate flatting and squishy tires…I'll drop them down closer to 35 or so and see what I can get away with. Not ideal tires but cheap and light. If I can get my hands on some of the tires you guys have recommended I'm sure they'd be a treat, but for now those are working alright.

I guess "working alright" isn't really the vibe of the gear forum though, is it? ;-) You guys are SERIOUS about tires!

Nov. 8, 2010, 11:45 a.m.

Have you tested that on a PM?

Not yet, but it's in the works.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

Nov. 8, 2010, 11:49 a.m.

anyone logged time on the minion 3c exo's?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 8, 2010, 11:56 a.m.

anyone logged time on the minion 3c exo's?

not me but it seems like an honest review pinktire