winter xc/am tire options

Nov. 4, 2010, 6:51 p.m.

gonna try once more to steer this back to small tires. spent some time this week on some new ones:

panaracer rampage SC 2.35 - this has their sticky rubber. mine is 710 grams. volume is between maxxis (old-school) 2.35 and kenda 2.35. rolls faster yet is far stickier than kenda sticky rubber. traction on north van roots/rocks is impressive, possibly even magical. best 1/2 pound i've added to my little bike. highly recommended. i don't care how fast it wears, they are pretty cheap.

michelin wild grip'r 2.1 - mine is 610 grams, rolls real quick, volume similar to maxxis 2.35 (very large for 2.1). medium-height wide-spaced knobs bite well into loam and muck, but firm-ish rubber less than awesome on wet roots/rocks. pretty good little rear tire though overall.

Nov. 4, 2010, 7:51 p.m.

What about Maxxis CrossMark?

Nov. 4, 2010, 7:54 p.m.

perhaps you're being fascitious?
crossmark is an excellent fast loose summer hardpack tire.
it is beyond useless in the winter.

Nov. 4, 2010, 8:04 p.m.

i heard consistently good things about the panaracer rampage. anyone know where they are sold in (metro) vancouver?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 4, 2010, 8:11 p.m.

i heard consistently good things about the panaracer rampage. anyone know where they are sold in (metro) vancouver?

yeah looks interesting.

Clark - figure it's better rolling than nevegals? or about the same, looks pretty similar down the middle.

$48 on CRC.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Nov. 4, 2010, 9:44 p.m.

just switched out

F Rocket Ron - 2.35ust
R Racing Ralph - 2.1ust

for

F Nobby Nic. 2.35ust
R Fat Albert (R) 2.35ust

on a Blur C XC. Think those tyres will hit the focus on the hold. I'd give a bit of speed for grip in winter.

Have a Fat Albert F in a 2.4ust - fit it on last nigtht and it looked way too big. Thoughts? Too big for the bike. May keep it for 6".

Tried to test a Continental Race King Supersonic 2.4 on ust rims with sealent. Even with co2 it wouldn't seal up. gave up and have the knobby nic now.

on the 6" - Minons 3c for winter. Best for wet wood - period.

Nov. 4, 2010, 9:59 p.m.

I'm running some ultra pinner Nokian NBX tires I scored at the thrift store for $3 (for the pair), nearly new and they work great! I've ridden Powerslave, Goldmember, and a ton of other trails on them and the traction is unreal, I'm not joking in the least bit…super good tire for my conditions. I even mounted them on my Scythe the other weekend and did some huge shuttle laps, no problems at all!

$3 tires for the win!

Nov. 4, 2010, 10:24 p.m.

figure it's better rolling than nevegals? or about the same, looks pretty similar down the middle.

faster for sure, yet far better grip, and the sidewalls appear to be better quality.
they do have a similar tread pattern. wonder which came out first?

i'd love to find a 3-dollar tire that made me happy. nice one!

Nov. 4, 2010, 10:32 p.m.

Fat Alberts seem to get mixed reviews… what's the deal?

flickr

Nov. 4, 2010, 10:46 p.m.

$48 on CRC.

that's neither cheap nor metro; doppel-ausfall

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 4, 2010, 11:16 p.m.

Norco distributes the Panaracers in Canada so pretty much any local shop can order you in a pair.

The better rolling and more grip than Nevegal is generally what I had read, but it's big bonus to hear that the sticky rubber is good.

Nov. 4, 2010, 11:31 p.m.

that's neither cheap nor metro; doppel-ausfall

I was just providing the universal benchmark. My door is pretty local to me.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Nov. 5, 2010, 9:35 a.m.

read the reviews of the FA and not convinced by what people have to say. anyone here got an xc/am review of it for riding on the shore? light enough to put on an xc bike, solid tread pattern, really like the rubber compound, where's it going to go wrong? Got a good deal on it so we'll see how it plays out and i'll be posting a follow-up.

Nov. 5, 2010, 12:26 p.m.

I ran a Conti Mtn King 2.4 on the front and a Kenda Small Block 8 on the back all last winter with very good results. I tried a Mtn King 2.2 on the rear but had pinch flat problems so I switched to the Small Block. For a more xc feel I put the Mtn King 2.2 on the front and continued to run the Small Block on the rear which felt very good.

Nov. 5, 2010, 2:23 p.m.

Anyone else have experience with the Nobby Nics for winter AM usage? I was running Larson TT's all summer on the hardtail AM rig (which was awesome!), I put on a set of Nevegals (stick-e, single ply, 2.35) recently and haven't been that impressed.. have had 2 pinch flats already, the tire "waves around" off center (i.e. the tread isn't aligned with the centre line of the tire) so much I can feel it when riding, and the grip (on roots/wood in particular) isn't as great as I would hope given how incredibly slowly they role. I think the Minion DHF 3Cs I have on the SXT roll faster..

Maybe I do need to split up the front/rear choice and go with max grip up front paired with something that roles better on the back. Stupidly, I hadn't really considered that kind of setup.

Mostly I'm riding on Eagle (rough, lots of rocks), Burke (hello, roots!), or Bear (mud/loam). Single speed steel hardtail.

Thx. Man.. tires.. I think I could have a shed full of them yet still never be satisfied.