Winter Riding Gear

Nov. 13, 2021, 3:02 p.m.

I think mudhugger makes direct mount fenders now, and I believe you need to buy an adapter to mount to DVO forks. At least for full coverage, DVO also had their own little direct mount fenders.

Nov. 13, 2021, 7:57 p.m.

Posted by: mammal

Posted by: RAHrider

I can see the velcro straps having a roll but at the same time, I'd like to see a setup before cutting up such expensive fenders. @mammal, are you taking your bike off drops etc with yours?

Sure, whatever aggressive shore/S2S riding I do, gets done with fenders on as well. Because I tend to gravitate towards the hard tail 2/3 of the time in the off-season, it sees the majority of fender rides, but the suspension trail bike still gets fendered up when I'm doing some laps with friends (most of my riding buddies are dually-only). Neither setup is more noisy than the other (1/10 noise factor), and I'd say that the amplitudes of impact are similar (soft suspension bike goes faster, slower hard tail gets jarred around more).

If you look at my photo, you can see the slots on the rear fender. The front is similar, with two slots where it mounts to fork crown, and there is a single slot on each side tab, for attaching to the fork legs. I've found the rear needs more straps for security than the front, which is why there are four on each side for the back. Don't underestimate the toughness of the material they use, it's really tough. There's no issue with cracking around the mounting points, as long you don't make them too close together.

Thanks for the details. How did you make the larger slots? Did you exacto between two adjacent holes? Where did you pick up the velcro? I think I know the stuff you used (on some of my packs etc to organize loose straps). I bought a few sets of MH years ago and leave them on any bikes I use in the winter but come spring it would be great to have a set that can go on/come off easily. I hate fenders except for when you need them ;)

Nov. 14, 2021, 6:13 a.m.

Not sure if other folks like these 5.10 EPS shoes for winter riding. I do and was having trouble tracking them down as they are not shown on the 5.10/Adidas website. Jenson now has them in stock in full size ranges.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Five-Ten-Freerider-EPS-Mid-Shoe

https://www.jensonusa.com/Five-Ten-Freerider-EPS-Shoes

I grabbed a couple pairs since it's been two years since I've found them for sale.

Last edited by: Vikb on Nov. 14, 2021, 6:30 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Nov. 14, 2021, 7:28 a.m.

I hate fenders except for when you need them ;)

Trailforks Pro needs a feature where it advises you at the start of each trail whether fenders are "Highly Recommended!!", "Could be Useful?" or "Bro Please That's Not Cool! Put that $hit away!".

Last edited by: Vikb on Nov. 14, 2021, 7:28 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 15, 2021, 7:56 a.m.

Thanks for the details. How did you make the larger slots? Did you exacto between two adjacent holes? Where did you pick up the velcro? I think I know the stuff you used (on some of my packs etc to organize loose straps). I bought a few sets of MH years ago and leave them on any bikes I use in the winter but come spring it would be great to have a set that can go on/come off easily. I hate fenders except for when you need them ;)

I believe I used a dremel on them, but I've done similar things with a red-hot piece of coat hanger too. I think I just increased the size of each slot on one side of each slot for the rear fender, as they're already kind of slot-shaped. The front fender mounting holes were round so I slotted them out on both sides.

The straps are similar to these ones from Amazon. You can attach them together head-to-tail for a long strap by slipping one through the head of the other, and it ends up super strong. A 100pk is basically straps for life.

https://www.amazon.ca/Reusable-Trilancer-15x1-2cm-Organization-Centers/dp/B08RJ7YX2F/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=cable+ties&qid=1636991604&sr=8-7

Last edited by: mammal on Nov. 15, 2021, 7:58 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 15, 2021, 8:39 a.m.

Yeah, it is TINY...so looking for an alternative. the DVO adapters look to be soldout everywhere - and Mudhugger can't ship overseas at the moment. So I may be heading the zip-tie route for now to get further coverage.

Nov. 15, 2021, 8:45 a.m.

Posted by: Taz123

Yeah, it is TINY...so looking for an alternative. the DVO adapters look to be soldout everywhere - and Mudhugger can't ship overseas at the moment. So I may be heading the zip-tie route for now to get further coverage.

I'm running RP front fender and looked at their bolt on option. They don't offer the long version of their front fender as a bolt on and I figured I'd rather have maximum coverage/protection vs. eliminating the zipties. If you are gong ziptie anyway you might want to look at the RRP front fender for the same reason.

RRP Canadian vendor: https://reciprocators.ca/

RRP Max fender: https://reciprocators.ca/products/rrp-proguard-max-protection-front-cable-tie-velcro-fitment

That said you may be happy with the RRP bolt on option.

https://reciprocators.ca/products/the-proguard-bolt-on

Last edited by: Vikb on Nov. 15, 2021, 8:46 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Nov. 15, 2021, 8:50 a.m.

Posted by: Taz123

I have been thinking about filing a couple small slots in the dvo fender, and the cutting up one of the standard marsh guards to fashion an "extender", attach the extender to the existing fender with zip ties. Better than zip ties on the fork legs, I'm thinking, and easier to take on and off, when weather improves just clip the two zipties that hold the extender to the stock fender and leave the stock fender on year round. 

I was thinking just to extend the back, one downside this plan wouldn't add any fender out the front.  

I have tons of marsh guards laying around though and don't really mind putting a couple little holes in the stock fender so I might give it a go.

Last edited by: Kenny on Nov. 15, 2021, 8:52 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 15, 2021, 12:17 p.m.

I believe I used a dremel on them, but I've done similar things with a red-hot piece of coat hanger too. I think I just increased the size of each slot on one side of each slot for the rear fender, as they're already kind of slot-shaped. The front fender mounting holes were round so I slotted them out on both sides.

The straps are similar to these ones from Amazon. You can attach them together head-to-tail for a long strap by slipping one through the head of the other, and it ends up super strong. A 100pk is basically straps for life.

https://www.amazon.ca/Reusable-Trilancer-15x1-2cm-Organization-Centers/dp/B08RJ7YX2F/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=cable+ties&qid=1636991604&sr=8-7

I ordered that 100 pack mostly because those things are so f#$%#ng handy. I suspect I may swap to a velcro fender as we approach the next shoulder season though. Thanks again for the tips. This may be reason enough to go get a dremmel tool as well ;)

Nov. 15, 2021, 3:36 p.m.

I ordered that 100 pack mostly because those things are so f#$%#ng handy. I suspect I may swap to a velcro fender as we approach the next shoulder season though. Thanks again for the tips. This may be reason enough to go get a dremmel tool as well ;)

No problem, and yeah, handy as hell. Regarding the Dremel, the house brand ones are almost as good and can come on-sale for super cheap. I think we have a "Job Mate" one that was like $30 with 50 attachments. The Dremel brand stuff tends to be spendy, but some of the Dremel accessories are worth it.

Nov. 16, 2021, 8:56 a.m.

random thoughts on a couple things that transformed my winter / rainy season riding experience. that i've been riding in this region for 3 decades & have only (relatively) recently adopted these things... guess i'm a glutton for suffering? 

-decent waterproof jacket is a given; nothing revelatory there. my big 3:

-big ass front fender. been using the small marshguard things for years, but damn, the mudhugger i have now actually keeps the face (more or less, with rare occasion) spray free. fantastic.

-waterproof shoes. why have i endured SO many years of cold, wet feet? i :heart: my shimano MW5's. play in puddles, walk through streams, no big deal. 

-waterproof pants. i've been singing the praises of NF pants for a while, but waterproof they are not. when the weather gets properly biblical, and the atmospheric river is raging, proper waterproof britches rock. currently using RF conspiracy, which have been great - we'll see how they hold up long term. 

the addition of a few good pieces to the wardrobe is fairly transformative - gross weather is no longer a motivational detractor, I'm comfy in any condition.

Nov. 16, 2021, 9:18 a.m.

if it's raining biblical, it's time for a shovel and not your bike. Not doing the trails any favors riding them but hey, someone will fix them.

#nodigjustride

Last edited by: LoamtoHome on Nov. 16, 2021, 9:18 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 16, 2021, 9:58 a.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

if it's raining biblical, it's time for a shovel and not your bike. Not doing the trails any favors riding them but hey, someone will fix them.

#nodigjustride

Watched some bro cruising up to Fromme with bike loaded at about 9am Sunday morning. The rain had been absolutely biblical for over an hour, and was not going to let up over the course of the day. Why do people even bother riding in that? It does WAY more damage, and is way less fun.

Nov. 16, 2021, 10:25 a.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

#nodigjustride

Watched some bro cruising up to Fromme with bike loaded at about 9am Sunday morning. The rain had been absolutely biblical for over an hour, and was not going to let up over the course of the day. Why do people even bother riding in that? It does WAY more damage, and is way less fun.

There really needs to be a sign near the parking lot on Fromme during the winter that says "If it's rained heavily in the last 36 hours you really shouldn't be riding; maybe consider attending a trail day".

Last edited by: craw on Nov. 16, 2021, 10:25 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 16, 2021, 1:03 p.m.

the problem with this sport are the ego's and entitlement. I see it everyday and by people who know better.

I cringe when I see a wet weather gear review cuz the guys spending $1000 on gear are pretty much going to ride in the rain and a lot of time not on sanctioned trails.  Think they'll help out fixing/repairing trails from water damage?  Someone else will do it...

Last edited by: LoamtoHome on Nov. 16, 2021, 1:07 p.m., edited 1 time in total.