Winter Riding Gear

Nov. 6, 2021, 5:21 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Don't currently own anything from them which seems a shame. Pants are sold out until infinity, but they have sweet merino jerseys 

https://www.ridenf.com/products/dan-merino-wool-riding-ls-tee-military

I spoke with them last week. They are going to have a bunch of dp3 pants probably next week? They said to do a stock alert on their website and you will get a text and can rush and put your order in. Shops are also going to get them at the same time. I put stock alerts on all the colours and order a second pair when available.

Nov. 7, 2021, 12:14 a.m.

Chapeau, thank you. 🍺

Anyone know a shop that carries them? I feel like I saw them in Lynn Valley Bikes but I might have been high.

Nov. 7, 2021, 12:41 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Chapeau, thank you. 🍺

Anyone know a shop that carries them? I feel like I saw them in Lynn Valley Bikes but I might have been high.

Their website has a dealer list. I'm pretty sure dunbar was on it

Nov. 7, 2021, 2:07 p.m.

I got the Dan merino jersey about a year ago and I wear it riding, snowboarding, general use and running.

Quality is as excellent as expected, really silky and smooth. I'm picking up a halfDan for summer duties as well. I'm wondering whether it was named after Halfdan Ragnarsson?

Nov. 9, 2021, 12:43 p.m.

From knees up waterproof: Goretex shorts, jacket, gloves. 

Knees down not waterproof: Knee pads, wool socks, un waterproof clipless shoes.

Was sleeting at 7th on Saturday and raining and no issues, just wet below the knees.

Trying to ride in wet weather and not get wet is a tough challenge.

Nov. 9, 2021, 4:42 p.m.

I invested like $100 and bought a set of mudhugger fenders (front & rear).  It's been a fantastic investment.  I'll leave it on my bike all winter, and yes, I agree it makes my bike look goofy as hell, but I finish every ride with the seat of my pants clean & dry, which makes winter riding so much more enjoyable.  Plus, it helps protect the nice finish on my Chromag Trailmaster LTD saddle.

I also wear RaceFace Agent pants if it's cool enough (say below 10 - 15 degrees Celsius).  The pants do a great job keeping my socks and knee pads dry and clean of mud/water that gets kicked up from the trail - but I swear the fenders do the bulk of the lifting.  If the temps are higher than the low/mid teens the pants are too warm to wear.

Nov. 9, 2021, 6:49 p.m.

+1 to fenders. My three fenders may make my bike look terrible but they make a big difference on how seriously I have to dress when the weathers terrible. 

Smartwoll long sleeve jersey, GORE coat and shorts and waterproof socks have been my key winter clothes for a while now. Probably add some Specialized defrosters when $$ allow, I liked having warm shoes but didn’t really like my 45nth winter shoes overall.

Nov. 9, 2021, 9:14 p.m.

+2 to fenders! I have found my people! ;-)

Nov. 9, 2021, 9:17 p.m.

I’ve always been a firm believer in as much fender coverage as possible on my road and gravel bikes, but for some reason that’s never translated to mountain bikes. Which mud huggers are people using?

Nov. 10, 2021, 5:50 a.m.

Posted by: Abies

I’ve always been a firm believer in as much fender coverage as possible on my road and gravel bikes, but for some reason that’s never translated to mountain bikes. Which mud huggers are people using?

- Mudhugger 29er fender rear [now called the "medium" fender I think]

- RRP Proguard Max front fender

- PDW DT splashguard

I'm one of those weirdos that thinks a mountain bike looks better with fenders and I have a small framebag problem as well. ;-)

Nov. 10, 2021, 8:34 a.m.

The mudhugger medium (https://www.themudhugger.co.uk/collections/xc-trail/products/29er-rear-mudhugger?variant=36083501958) fits my 27.5 kona process 153 as well.  I have a mudhugger front fender. but I don't know which model exactly  MIght be this one: https://www.themudhugger.co.uk/collections/downhill-enduro/products/front-race-mudhugger?variant=39979231686.  I also have one of those little flexible front fenders from Ground Keeper (https://groundkeepercustom.com/collections/fenders) that I used all last spring/summer.  I don't see any cons to running one of those little fenders even when it's not sopping wet out.  I swear it helps keep my fork stanchions cleaner, but I could be imagining that.

Nov. 10, 2021, 9:25 a.m.

RRP fenders have been working for me - although you'll need to cut about 2" off the back side if you use the steadyRacks wall hangers which is a bit of a pain. I like the look of the fox ones as well - anything that doesn't use zipties tbh - and bolt directly to my arch. And goretex socks combined with a bootdryer for the win.

Nov. 10, 2021, 9:58 a.m.

I've heard fenders on a mtn bike make a big difference down on the NS, I dunno if its worth it up here cuz snow & freeze usually  happen pretty quick, and then its  time for the  FAT bike

Nov. 10, 2021, 10:20 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: Abies

- Mudhugger 29er fender rear [now called the "medium" fender I think]

- RRP Proguard Max front fender

- PDW DT splashguard

I'm one of those weirdos that thinks a mountain bike looks better with fenders and I have a small framebag problem as well. ;-)

Same fender combo for me, on my hardtail, minus the deflector. Clean face and ass after a dank, sloppy ride is the pinnacle of satisfaction.

Nov. 11, 2021, 1:22 a.m.

For the fender fashionistas there is now another option: SKS Mudrocker It seems a bit more userfriendly with the rubberized velcro straps and rubber mounting points.

Would love to report if it works as advertised but it doesn't seem to be in stores yet or already sold out. Tried in vain to buy one yesterday.