Winter Riding Gear

Nov. 2, 2008, 10:06 p.m.

I'm all stoked to ride through the winter on my new Giant Reign 1, but I was hoping to do so more comfortably than last winter, which was my first year back at XC.
Does anyone use the Dakine white knuckle gloves new or old generation and how do they like them, or other similar gloves?
Does anyone use the Shimano MW-02 winter shoes, what do you think of them?
Thanks for any input or suggestions!

.:NSTP:.

Nov. 2, 2008, 10:27 p.m.

I actually use the Sugoi Firewall LT gloves in the winter on the really nasty days. Other than that it's the same, same Sombrio forensic gloves although I take a few pairs if I am doing multi-laps.

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

Nov. 2, 2008, 10:58 p.m.

I ride in 5.10 hightops, they are warm, dry, sturdy (i have flat feet), and grip really well in the wet. I know it might not be spandex material, but ive had no complaints cranking with them.

For uppers, under-armor, EMS mesh jersey, EMS light shell windbreaker. For the lowers, If its not really cold shorts and full pads for warmth/mud protection, or go the riding pants route.

I used the dakine gloves for awhile and actually got to hot in them, i just prefer my regular old fox bomber gloves and keep the blood pumping, but im from back east were it actually gets cold

Nov. 2, 2008, 11:42 p.m.

Dakine's got some new gloves coming out, the Storm Rider. They use a Gore Tex insert and have some insulation to help keep the cold out. I'm not sure when they'll be available though.

Nov. 3, 2008, 4:15 a.m.

It gets nasty cold over here in winter, and I ride through it all… But it's 'fvcking-windycold [HTML_REMOVED] dry', not 'kinda-cold [HTML_REMOVED] wet' like Van.

I rock the GoreTex Shimano MW02's, and like them alot. Feet stay dry in creekcrossings, and they keep the wind out. Say goodbye to woolsocks and breadbags! :)
Mountain Hardwear pants over pads over spandex leggings. Oldschool Roach jacket over poly longsleeve jersey over spandexy shortsleeve. Gloves are Fox's winter glove if it's kind of cold, and Shift's winter glove if it's really cold.

I really like Shift's glove, but it's too warm if it's not very cold out. The Fox's are meh…

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Nov. 3, 2008, 10:03 a.m.

Anyone know of a waterproof/water-repellent and breathable short or 3/4 short? Would be great along with knee pads for warmth and dryness in Vancouver.

I've got wool socks and fivetens. They don't keep your feet dry in the heavy rain but your feet stay pretty warm in the wool and the fivetens don't slip on anything.

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 3, 2008, 10:10 a.m.

I had the winter mechanic gloves from Home depot, and they were really good.
Great grip, warm and waterproof. cheap too: around 30$.

Sadly I ripped one, so this year I bought a pair of 661 Storm.
Haven't tried yet, but they seem solid, and claim to be waterproof too.

Nov. 3, 2008, 11:07 a.m.

hey Scott is Steed getting the new Giro gloves this winter? if so would you know how much they are?

"Jumps aren't dangerous by themselves… confidence, now thats dangerous"

Nov. 3, 2008, 12:03 p.m.

I have just ridden home through London in a freezing rain storm in my Da Kine White Knuckle gloves, I got sent them by Da Kine in a care package along with a bunch of summer stuff, and just re-found them in my wardrobe last week

we've had freezing weather here in England the past week, it was colder than Siberia or Russia according to the weather people, snow at the end of October in London is very unusual for sure ;)

the White Knuckles handled all this no problem, I would probably run a Altura Liner if going riding in the Welsh Mountains in winter weather, to further increase the warmth, the gloves are a much loses fit (in same size as my Da Kine FR gloves) and so could easily take a liner in there

recommended :)

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

Nov. 3, 2008, 2:15 p.m.

For the feet, I find 5-10s and wool socks do the trick in everything from the sopping wet, to dry freeze to slushy snow. Your feet will get wet but never cold.

For the hands, I bought some Cryogen gloves (I think by Mace) for the other half and he wears them all winter with happy toasty fingers. Having a second pair for the descent helps too. I only wish that they made them small enough for me!! (Anyone know of some warm winter gloves that will fit a kids size 7?)

Other than that, just layer for warmth and breathability… Happy winter riding!

Nov. 3, 2008, 5:22 p.m.

The surplus store near my place was my best friend when searching for winter gear. Neoprene socks, hunting gloves, and pants have all been great over a couple seasons (more than warm enough for me). Super thin fleece hunting gear for layering - not to mention neon orange camo for some tacky goodness. Everything together ended up around 50 bucks.

Nov. 3, 2008, 5:34 p.m.

Anyone know of a waterproof/water-repellent and breathable short or 3/4 short? Would be great along with knee pads for warmth and dryness in Vancouver.

I've got wool socks and fivetens. They don't keep your feet dry in the heavy rain but your feet stay pretty warm in the wool and the fivetens don't slip on anything.

I already use the five ten/wool sock combo and they are great, for clipping in I'll most likely get the Shimano MW-02 winter boots as recommended.

As for the waterproof/resistant shorts I have a pair of Sombrio Wildcards that are great! I wore them yesterday on fromme. They keep you happy in the winter, and they have vents if you find them on the warm side.

Nov. 3, 2008, 5:41 p.m.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions on gear. It sounds like with other peoples good experiences I'll try the Dakine White-knuckles, and Shimano MW-02 shoes.
The Five tens and wool socks will always be a must for freeriding, and DH. And I do recommend the Sombrio Wildcard shorts for winter riding. I also use their Wingman jacket to keep dry and clean.
For the rest it's just layering which worked well last season.

Those Dakine gore-tex gloves felt a bit bulky whe I saw them, and I don't know when they come out either. They seem like they would be better for commuting or where you wouldn't need the same feel in a glove. Maybe they'll work on them some more.

Nov. 3, 2008, 10:24 p.m.

I already use the five ten/wool sock combo and they are great, for clipping in I'll most likely get the Shimano MW-02 winter boots as recommended.

As for the waterproof/resistant shorts I have a pair of Sombrio Wildcards that are great! I wore them yesterday on fromme. They keep you happy in the winter, and they have vents if you find them on the warm side.

The MW-02 reminds me of the circa 97 DH boots I had from Shimano (the red ones).

I might try a set of those this year. I wish you could these MT90's in North America though:

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/nl/index/products/shoes/mtb/product.-code-SH-MT90.-type-sh_mountain.html

I tried last year to no avail.

I love my Wildcard shorts; Great three season short and you never get that cold-wet feeling. My understanding is that they have been discontinued though?

Any other "water-resistant" shorts out there?

-D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Nov. 3, 2008, 11:52 p.m.

The wildcards are still around, for '09 as well so they're definitely not discontinued.