Winter Riding Footwear

Nov. 20, 2014, 8:48 p.m.

^Not bad for disco boot style. Nice to have an option besides Shimano.

Question though, aside from CRC how does one get Mavic in Canada now?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 21, 2014, 4:23 p.m.

Some Alpineduros just arrived for testing and I've been using some Mavic Drift Shoes that I'll be writing up shortly.

So far so good and they are available at MEC. I would like to be able to push the cleats further back now that I've gotten used to that though.

When reviewing the AlpineEduros…I'd be interested in your thoughts on how they might hold up to light trail building duties too. Most my winter riding is getting to a trail bit to work on for 3-4 hours, then ride out.

Cheers,
Mike

Jan. 6, 2015, 12:54 p.m.

I have mixed opinions on the seal skinz. They are nice and toasty in cold weather with not too much precipitation. However on a slightly cold day with heavy rain they leak from the top in and fill up with water, which is a bizarre feeling because the water gets trapped in there (but stays warm.) In that weather I think I will just stick with woolie bullies…at least water will pass back through and they won't literally inflate like a water bed. I suppose I could solve the issue by wearing a long shell pant but I say screw that noise I won't be able to show off my epic calf tattoos.

Wrong. Always.

Jan. 6, 2015, 6:11 p.m.

rode with the fellas last night in full Scottish conditions. slush and rain, lots of standing water. was thrilled to be wearing my goretex socks, only think that kept me on the trail. about a 2 hr ride, only got cold by the very end, feet remained totally dry. have to put in a thinner footbed in the shoes to maintain enough volume. shoes too tight=instant cold.

Jan. 7, 2015, 2:05 p.m.

rode with the fellas last night in full Scottish conditions. slush and rain, lots of standing water. was thrilled to be wearing my goretex socks, only think that kept me on the trail. about a 2 hr ride, only got cold by the very end, feet remained totally dry. have to put in a thinner footbed in the shoes to maintain enough volume. shoes too tight=instant cold.

I put some thin ones made from wool into my 5.10, and it is really nice and toasty.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Oct. 30, 2015, 1:10 p.m.

Socks-whatchu got man
My tender tootsies are cold
Summer is over.

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 7, 2015, 9:05 p.m.

Mavic goretex scree shoes, polypro liner socks over merino woolie boolies. Toasty but i did buy my shoes 1/2 sz larger for this purpose.

Nov. 8, 2015, 2:05 p.m.

I have an update on the Sealskinz experiment. I ordered the thick ones in XL and had to send them back as they're insanely thick (think good insulation in gumboots). Then I got some Ls which fit better but my ankles are nowhere near big enough to fill these things out. So beware.

TL;DR Sealskinz experiment failed

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Nov. 8, 2015, 6:35 p.m.

i've been back on flats for almost a yr now wearing 5.10 new impacts. i hate debris getting into my shoes so i've taken to wearing these gaiters. also helps keep my feet warm and mostly dryish. if the wet is extreme then i add the goretex socks.

Nov. 8, 2015, 7:04 p.m.

I have an update on the Sealskinz experiment. I ordered the thick ones in XL and had to send them back as they're insanely thick (think good insulation in gumboots). Then I got some Ls which fit better but my ankles are nowhere near big enough to fill these things out. So beware.

TL;DR Sealskinz experiment failed

I scooped some Sealskinz last year that have been great. Decently thin and decently snug. I'm pretty sure they were Sealskinz Thin Mid. The XL size fit my size 13 flippers nicely.

Nov. 8, 2015, 7:04 p.m.

Anyone here tried the Shimano MW7 shoe yet?

Nov. 9, 2015, 5:58 a.m.

Socks-whatchu got man
My tender tootsies are cold
Summer is over.

Marks Workwear ankle high work socks is what i wear , feet get wet but not frozen cold . Tried neoprene socks years back and what a pain to get on and off especially when they are soaked , worse then wet wool socks IMO .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Nov. 19, 2015, 12:39 p.m.

So since switching to flat pedals on all my bikes this past year I am noticing a complete lack of any proper winter shoes for this application…. I found these from Five Ten (Guide Tennie GTX mid) that are actually waterproof approach shoes with what looks like a decent sole for mtb… ordered a pair to give them a try on the not too crazy cold days here in the Koots this winter. For really cold days I am going to have to make due with a more traditional winter style boot…

Nov. 19, 2015, 1:15 p.m.

So since switching to flat pedals on all my bikes this past year I am noticing a complete lack of any proper winter shoes for this application…. I found these from Five Ten (Guide Tennie GTX mid) that are actually waterproof approach shoes with what looks like a decent sole for mtb… ordered a pair to give them a try on the not too crazy cold days here in the Koots this winter. For really cold days I am going to have to make due with a more traditional winter style boot…

keep us posted on those

#northsidetrailbuilders

Nov. 20, 2015, 9:39 a.m.

i've been back on flats for almost a yr now wearing 5.10 new impacts. i hate debris getting into my shoes so i've taken to wearing these gaiters. also helps keep my feet warm and mostly dryish. if the wet is extreme then i add the goretex socks.

I also rock gaitiors in the winter except I use mec 's short ones.
Love em