Winter Riding Footwear

Nov. 16, 2014, 11:42 a.m.

I got a pair of the North Wave winter SPD shoes. $279 from CRC but free shipping and random luck of no taxes or duty. Did a little trenching to drain a puddle and submerged one foot part way up and no leakage. Rode for 1:45 yesterday at -1° to -4°C and while my feet weren't exactly toasty, they weren't cold either. Right shoe is slightly tighter I think.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Nov. 16, 2014, 11:49 a.m.

Impact XVi Clips and Giro Merino winter socks worked well for yesterday afternoon. My fingers are what was cold

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 16, 2014, 11:51 a.m.

Impact XVi Clips and Giro Merino winter socks worked well for yesterday afternoon. My fingers are what was cold

My braking fingers were cold. I'm thinking a hunk of Gorilla tape on the lever might help.

Nov. 16, 2014, 12:45 p.m.

My braking fingers were cold. I'm thinking a hunk of Gorilla tape on the lever might help.

I seldom wear gloves, excluding bike park/DH bike days. I wear the Giro DJ glove or TLD XC glove when I do though. Im thinking I need some X TR carbon levers:lol:

Nov. 16, 2014, 2:34 p.m.

-10 on my ride this morning in Nelson… Shimano winter boots worked great… Mechanix Wear winter gloves are surprisingly good at keeping hands warm.. Better than any winter specific bike gloves I've tried so far.

Nov. 16, 2014, 4:25 p.m.

First time riding in the snow today and it was epic. But how do you guys deal with clipping in the snow with iced up and snow filled cleats? It took forever to clip in when my Giro shoes got filled with that crap. Had to knock them a couple times against the pedals to clear them out and still was kinda hard to get in. Less tension?

konahonzo

Nov. 16, 2014, 5:31 p.m.

First time riding in the snow today and it was epic. But how do you guys deal with clipping in the snow with iced up and snow filled cleats? It took forever to clip in when my Giro shoes got filled with that crap. Had to knock them a couple times against the pedals to clear them out and still was kinda hard to get in. Less tension?

No quick fix for clogged up cleats.. you can go to flats if you want the best alternative, but clips are clips. They will clog up.

Nov. 16, 2014, 5:47 p.m.

Yes flats for that kind of snow. No real option.

Nov. 16, 2014, 5:56 p.m.

No quick fix for clogged up cleats.. you can go to flats if you want the best alternative, but clips are clips. They will clog up.

best cleats for that ime are speedplays, the ones for the frogs. couriered on them through two winters, never had a clog i couldn't kick out quick

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 16, 2014, 6:57 p.m.

Smack em on your pedals a couple times, just like you say. That's about it.

Nov. 16, 2014, 9:16 p.m.

http://www.marks.com/shop/en/marks-marksdefaultsalescatalog/mens/mens-socks-x/ultimate-steel-toe-socks-8233

i wear the ankle high version of these socks pretty much all year round , they keep your feet warm even when wet , wore them Friday nite on Sumas with heavy winds and toes stayed warm . they also add some extra cushioning for the feet

#northsidetrailbuilders

Nov. 17, 2014, 12:19 p.m.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, figured there might be some trick to the pedals, guess not. But I am hooked. Researching better tires now. And footwear, especially socks.

konahonzo

Nov. 17, 2014, 7:35 p.m.

i used to spray my pedal down with PAM or something similar when i was clipped in helps for a while , but muck is muck and will stick too any surface .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Nov. 17, 2014, 8:53 p.m.

IMHO the best winter riding footwear is ski or snowboard boots.

Figure out the rest!

Nov. 20, 2014, 8:11 p.m.

What about the Giro Alpineduro or Shimano MT91s

Both VIbram, Gore, hiker style

Some Alpineduros just arrived for testing and I've been using some Mavic Drift Shoes that I'll be writing up shortly.

So far so good and they are available at MEC. I would like to be able to push the cleats further back now that I've gotten used to that though.