Winter Riding Footwear

Oct. 24, 2014, 10:07 a.m.

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/vaude-tonale-am-mtb-shoes-202365/wg_id-6673

anyone have any experience with these shoes ??

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 24, 2014, 1:23 p.m.

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/vaude-tonale-am-mtb-shoes-202365/wg_id-6673

anyone have any experience with these shoes ??

Last year I was looking at rugged SPD shoes and came across them, the reviews were rather mixed about durability and comfort. I ended up with 5.10 Hellcats for the Alps.

I just checked bike-discount and I found an interesting pair: Apparently there are new shoes from Giro that are supposedly waterproof and insulated which look really nice.
Personally, I am not a fan of the xc-space age shoes, but if the winter should be as mild as last years, then I think I might reconsider my opinion.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Oct. 24, 2014, 2:01 p.m.

the new GIRO boot looks decent .

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/giro-alpineduro-mtb-winter-shoes-253260/wg_id-6673

curious how much flex there is in the sole , they can be used with flats with the cleat hole pluged

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 24, 2014, 2:10 p.m.

the new GIRO boot looks decent .

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/giro-alpineduro-mtb-winter-shoes-253260/wg_id-6673

curious how much flex there is in the sole , they can be used with flats with the cleat hole pluged

I think so, too. They look like a slicker, hipster-ish version of the Shimano "Hiking Boot".

I do not think that the sole is doing that well on flats if a rider is used to stealth rubber.

What I find odd is that they advertize these as a winter riding shoe which is insulated and water-proof, but do not offer any info on the temp ranges as other manufacturers do. It might be that the winter over here is turning out different from the one we had last year, which was quite warm, and if we have temps below -5 I do not want to spend money on shoes that are not much better than my old 5.10 high-tops with thin wool socks and seal skinz.

Guess they are perfect for that "typical" South-Western BC winter with not that much freezing but lots of rain in low degrees Celsius?!

- Kristen Ulmer

Oct. 24, 2014, 2:18 p.m.

http://shopfiveten.com/Item_Detail.aspx?ItemCode=5139040[HTML_REMOVED]utm_source=fiveten.com[HTML_REMOVED]utm_medium=referral[HTML_REMOVED]utm_content=Guide%20Tennie%20Mid%20-%20Black%20Asphalt[HTML_REMOVED]utm_campaign=product

just quickly browsing the 5 10 site and found these , no specs on them being water proof but they are a stealth rubber , i,ll have too do some more digging on there site to see what else they offer

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 24, 2014, 2:27 p.m.

http://shopfiveten.com/Item_Detail.aspx?ItemCode=5139040[HTML_REMOVED]utm_source=fiveten.com[HTML_REMOVED]utm_medium=referral[HTML_REMOVED]utm_content=Guide%20Tennie%20Mid%20-%20Black%20Asphalt[HTML_REMOVED]utm_campaign=product

just quickly browsing the 5 10 site and found these , no specs on them being water proof but they are a stealth rubber , i,ll have too do some more digging on there site to see what else they offer

Hiking boots…..dunno. There are the Freerider VXi Elements - spec looks decent, but not ankle high, just cut like an ordinary skate shoe.

- Kristen Ulmer

Oct. 24, 2014, 4:38 p.m.

Hiking boots…..dunno. There are the Freerider VXi Elements - spec looks decent, but not ankle high, just cut like an ordinary skate shoe.

my current shoe , they get wet and heavy found that out in Whistler back in July when we had a rainstorm .

i have my LBS bringing in a pair of the Giro Boot for me too check out , they list for $250 pricey but $$$ well spent if they keep the feet drier and warmer .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 25, 2014, 11:01 a.m.

my current shoe , they get wet and heavy found that out in Whistler back in July when we had a rainstorm .

i have my LBS bringing in a pair of the Giro Boot for me too check out , they list for $250 pricey but $$$ well spent if they keep the feet drier and warmer .

Sounds good, definitely let us know what you think of them.

- Kristen Ulmer

Oct. 25, 2014, 2:05 p.m.

What about the Giro Alpineduro or Shimano MT91s

Both VIbram, Gore, hiker style

Does your LBS have much experience with Giro footwear? I ask as I've found them to fit on the small side.

The good thing is that Giro uses Euro sizing and has half Euro sizing as well.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 25, 2014, 2:18 p.m.

Does your LBS have much experience with Giro footwear? I ask as I've found them to fit on the small side.

never gave them a size asked only to see the product

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 25, 2014, 6:12 p.m.

I had the opposite experience, finding my Giro Jacket shoe fit a half size bigger than expecting, which was actually what I wanted.

Oct. 26, 2014, 12:09 a.m.

if you have a pair of generous fitting shoes, i find goretex socks to be fantastic and reliable for very wet trials. i've also run full gumboots on flats with slicker rain pants and don't care what others think- i was the only one warm and mostly dry other than sweat condensate. for the most part though, when it's this wet, i'll pass on riding. it's not fun and it just wrecks the trails. i've discovered dualsport motocycles and i can wear full rainproof gear and have a blast on semi technical terrain and save mtn biking for reasonable weather.

Oct. 26, 2014, 5:05 a.m.

Before I bought my Hellcat, I tried the Camber and Jacket, and found them a tad too tight. The store did not have a pair half a size bigger but they had the Hellcat as well, and I bought them.

- Kristen Ulmer

Nov. 16, 2014, 9:36 a.m.

never gave them a size asked only to see the product

And, did you go and see them?

- Kristen Ulmer

Nov. 16, 2014, 9:49 a.m.

And, did you go and see them?

the rep has not been by yet as of last week i chat with the owner all the time

#northsidetrailbuilders