Winter Riding Footwear

Oct. 20, 2014, 9:51 a.m.

I have not used them yet, but recently picked up a pair of the Shimano MW81.

Looking forward to drier feet in the wet.

Oct. 20, 2014, 9:51 a.m.

^^ i reviewed a pair of defrosters last year for nsmb, and found them versatile enough for wet rides and cold rides with thicker socks. i found the soles to have a decent balance between pedaling stiffness and off-bike grip; the lugs are hard, but big and stiff for gripping in mud or loam, or breaking through frost. i used to be of the thick-socks-and-suck-it-up school: not sure i would have ponied up $200 for a set of defrosters of my own volition, but having used them for a season i don't think i could go back to cold/wet feet now

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Oct. 20, 2014, 9:56 a.m.

Vancouver area is not cold enough for dedicated winter shoes IMO. Or at least not the expense of them. Gore Socks are brilliant.

I agree … keep your regular shoes and wear neoprene booties over them and Gore Socks. Put your shoes next to the furnace or hot water tank to dry off when you get home.

Oct. 20, 2014, 10:02 a.m.

On the island I just put on woolie Boolie socks and go ride. Sure my feet may get wet but they are still warm. If things get colder I just add some ski socks, my feet have not been cold in years and I ride year around.

Oct. 20, 2014, 10:04 a.m.

So there are gore tex socks like the ones from MEC. And there are these:

http://www.sealskinz.com/CA/socks/trekking-sock

Which seem too good to be true, albeit for $70. Has anyone tried these?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Oct. 20, 2014, 10:07 a.m.

I've tried the Gore-Tex socks, I hated them.

They don't contour and stretch around your foot. For me that was uncomfortable and awkward.

I've not suffered from cold feet, just not a huge fan of wet feet so I am giving the shoes a try.

Oct. 20, 2014, 10:09 a.m.

The new 5.10 Impacts, either flat or clipless versions (I have both), are lighter, warmer and more water resistant (I will not say proof) than the original/ older models. Combine with a set of Seal Skinz socks for cold weather/ lots of puddles and one should keep fairly dry and toasty feet on the pedals for 99% of the ride.

Everyday on a bicycle is a good day!!

Oct. 20, 2014, 10:12 a.m.

@craw I have used Seal Skinz for years, run a thin pair of cycling socks underneath for extra comfort, but I find them to be pretty good. No hot spots even when walking. Take up about the same room as a thick pair of woolen socks worth thinking about when sizing your shoes. I can lace mine so that I can wear thin cycling socks (Dissent) in summer and Seal Skinz in autumn (winter is all about the skiing!).

Everyday on a bicycle is a good day!!

Oct. 20, 2014, 10:12 a.m.

I used to have a pair of those red dh boots! They were awesome.

Man, I miss those boots… Wore them into the ground.

I have owned three generations of the Shimano MW winter boots and they are good. Definitely better then any sock/cover I have tried for commuting or nasty winter MtB-ing.

Did not like the Defroster (Specialized); both awkward fit (normally I find their shoes a very good/neutral fit for most people) and awkward to walk in.

I am one season in on a pair of North Waves and I would recommend them above anything else (assuming good fit) with the Shimanos a distant second.

The North Waves dual Boa system makes it possible to get the shoes tight enough for out of the saddle efforts (Shimano all Velcro is sloppy) they expand//contract better to fit well with different sock thicknesses so you can further adapt for cold//less cold rain, and the soles are WAY stiffer for pedaling while still being fine to hike in.

Keeping in mind I'm more sensitive to soft/flexy shoes then most people I know.

http://www.northwave.com/it/product/_extreme_winter_gtx

D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Oct. 20, 2014, 11:46 a.m.

I've tried the Gore-Tex socks, I hated them.

They don't contour and stretch around your foot. For me that was uncomfortable and awkward.

I've not suffered from cold feet, just not a huge fan of wet feet so I am giving the shoes a try.

With the MW81s your feet will still get wet during winter rides, but you will be warm. Didn't get cold feet once last year, even during those -8c night rides.

Oct. 20, 2014, 11:58 a.m.

I am a fan of the MW-81 too.

They are really great from 5C down to probably -10C or so. Maybe they're still OK at even lower temperatures, but I don't think I tried them below -10C.

Oct. 20, 2014, 12:38 p.m.

I am a fan of the MW-81 too.

They are really great from 5C down to probably -10C or so. Maybe they're still OK at even lower temperatures, but I don't think I tried them below -10C.

I've had my MW81s down to -15 last year here in the interior… with a good pair of socks they were "just" keeping my feet warm enough… it was dry as well.

Oct. 20, 2014, 12:51 p.m.

i rode the defrosters in -10/12 degree conditions last year and with thick socks they kept my feet warm

they're also totally waterproof, at least the lowers are. i can stand in the creek at the bottom of empress bypass and wash the dog without worrying about getting my feet wet

drewm's comment about fit is spot on though: i count myself pretty lucky to have been given a pair of shoes to review that fit well, not just in terms of length and width but comfort too. if it's my money, no way i'm buying footwear without trying it on first

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Oct. 20, 2014, 1:43 p.m.

I've dusted off my Shimano AM45s for another winter but I'm reminded of all the reasons why I stopped using them in the first place.

is it wetness or coldness or both that you dont like? how much do your feet sweat?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Oct. 20, 2014, 3 p.m.

is it wetness or coldness or both that you dont like? how much do your feet sweat?

Primarily it's that they don't really fit. I have really low volume feet and even with super thick socks I can't get them snug enough. After the Terraduros they feel big and clumsy. As far as waterproofness and warmth they work fine.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.