winter chain lube

Feb. 1, 2022, 8:14 p.m.

A 22 hr lifespan for a chain sounds short. What chain and ring combo are you running?

Feb. 1, 2022, 8:39 p.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

A 22 hr lifespan for a chain sounds short. What chain and ring combo are you running?

Yup, 22hrs is super short. I think I got a shit chain. It's an fsa chain and a snaggletooth Blackspire chainring.

Feb. 1, 2022, 9:11 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Out of curiosity, do you all get two chains out of your chainrings? I've been staying on top of my chain wear for a while now. My winter bike blew through the chain in just 22hrs.

I run the same chain ring for a couple years say with more than one bike in the mix that's like a year of riding a couple times a week. I don't keep track of hours, but I'd guess a couple hundred at least. I buy low/mid-range chains and change them every 6 months or so. I usually get rid of the them before the first wear indicator comes into play.

Last edited by: Vikb on Feb. 1, 2022, 9:12 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 1, 2022, 9:12 p.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

Yup, 22hrs is super short. I think I got a shit chain. It's an fsa chain and a snaggletooth Blackspire chainring.

What do these chains measure when new?

April 24, 2022, 8:03 p.m.

So slightly strange experience.

Somehow I now have an almost brand new X01 eagle chain that makes it sound like my entire drivetrain is going to implode when loaded.

Installed a new eagle chain a few weeks back. I've always left the factory grease on and then lubed as needed (you can argue if that's good or bad but anyways read on).

After a few rides I put some WT1 on, as I have many chains in the past. 

Bike got noisier and noisier the subsequent few rides to the point I decided the bottom bracket must be shot. 

Change bottom bracket. No help. Swap rear wheel and cassette from other bike. No help.

Swap the chain. Sound gone. 

WTF?

Did I ruin it?

It's almost like the WT1 detergents stripped the chain bare. Not sure if I should try lubing it with something else, returning it as defective (!), or what. 

I do have some squirt....

April 24, 2022, 8:27 p.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Somehow I now have an almost brand new X01 eagle chain that makes it sound like my entire drivetrain is going to implode when loaded.

Installed a new eagle chain a few weeks back. I've always left the factory grease on and then lubed as needed (you can argue if that's good or bad but anyways read on).

Bike got noisier and noisier the subsequent few rides to the point I decided the bottom bracket must be shot. 

Change bottom bracket. No help. Swap rear wheel and cassette from other bike. No help.

WTF?

Did I ruin it?

It's almost like the WT1 detergents stripped the chain bare. Not sure if I should try lubing it with something else, returning it as defective (!), or what. 

Did you replace the chaonring with the chain? Chainrings in my experience are the loudest old part of the drivetrain

April 24, 2022, 8:36 p.m.

WTF?

Did I ruin it?

Did you replace the chaonring with the chain? Chainrings in my experience are the loudest old part of the drivetrain

It's quiet if I put the chain from my other bike on it, and mynothr bike is noisy with that chain.  It's definitely the chain itself.

April 25, 2022, 9:12 a.m.

" an HG+ chain will eat your nonHG+ chainring in less that 500km."

duno if it applies to you but here is a tech tip ^^ from a bike guru on another site ^^

maybe you wana check on-line for compatibility issues ?

Last edited by: XXX_er on April 25, 2022, 12:03 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
April 25, 2022, 12:06 p.m.

Nah this is eagle chain on Eagle chainring.

I think I know what the problem is. I didn't shake this newest bottle. First step in the instructions is shake it and there's a ball bearing in there to mix things up. I bet if you don't shake it enough you're just pouring solvent on your chain. So I'm a dumbass, as it certainly seems very clean but not very lubed.  

Now that it's basically stripped I'll either strip it completely and put squirt on, or put some heavy winter lube on it to try to build some sort of a film back onto it. Lol.

May 1, 2022, 4:21 p.m.

I'm loving the Squirt.  I got tipped to it by this thread and I am never going back to traditional lubes.  Not having to use a flat bladed screw driver to clean the hard black gunk off the jockey wheels on my derailleur brings me a lot of joy.  My entire drivetrain also looks showroom clean all of the time now.  I love it.

May 1, 2022, 4:37 p.m.

WTF?

Did I ruin it?

This was 100% the problem. Chain ring swap cured it! The old chain was FSA (bought in the COVID days when sram was unobtainium). I think that contributed to the issue, chain is just shaped slightly differently and the chain ring had worn to mesh with the FSA. When swapping back to sram it was unhappy.

May 2, 2022, 11:53 a.m.

Posted by: Ride.DMC

I'm loving the Squirt.  I got tipped to it by this thread and I am never going back to traditional lubes.  Not having to use a flat bladed screw driver to clean the hard black gunk off the jockey wheels on my derailleur brings me a lot of joy.  My entire drivetrain also looks showroom clean all of the time now.  I love it.

I think when my giant bottle of squirt is getting low I am ready to go for the silica molten wax next. Apparently its even better in all conditions.

May 2, 2022, 12:15 p.m.

I think when my giant bottle of squirt is getting low I am ready to go for the silica molten wax next. Apparently its even better in all conditions.

After using Squirt for the last 14 years I feel like any improvement would be extremely marginal.

Aug. 2, 2022, 4:12 a.m.

I was surprised that my drivetrains didn't wear out any faster than when I cleaned them carefully and paid attention to what lube I was using and how it was applied. I had my summer lube and winter lube and tried wax lubes in that previous phase of my MTB career. I expected a significant change in wear rates since the level of attention/effort decreased so much, but nothing happened. tellculvers com survey taco bell breakfast hours

Last edited by: mohesur on Aug. 3, 2022, 6:59 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 2, 2022, 6:11 a.m.

Posted by: mohesur

I was surprised that my drivetrains didn't wear out any faster than when I cleaned them carefully and paid attention to what lube I was using and how it was applied. I had my summer lube and winter lube and tried wax lubes in that previous phase of my MTB career. I expected a significant change in wear rates since the level of attention/effort decreased so much, but nothing happened.

Same here. I can't tell you how happy that made me.