Winter Builds Thread

Oct. 26, 2012, 6:10 p.m.

While a build thread is often about new bikes that have been pieced together, sometimes a new build is as simple as a reincarnation of a previously successful platform. I figured I would start a thread as I know I'm not the only one to be stoked on the fact that winter is back.

I recently converted my Chromag Monk from dirt jump to trail mode. Beefy tires, two brakes, a dropper post, and a longer stem. Two rides in and I'm already in love. The tires feel amazing and I'm riding the front wheel a lot more due to the new stem and brake. Bottom line, it shralps!

Do you have plans for a winter build? MTB/Road/CX/Commutar, all builds welcome!

flickr

Oct. 26, 2012, 6:38 p.m.

Not everyone is stoked! Especially us 9-5ers…. :(

When skiing starts, i'll be less grumpy.

Oct. 26, 2012, 6:57 p.m.

Here's my winter build..

Oct. 26, 2012, 7:04 p.m.

While a build thread is often about new bikes that have been pieced together, sometimes a new build is as simple as a reincarnation of a previously successful platform. I figured I would start a thread as I know I'm not the only one to be stoked on the fact that winter is back.

I recently converted my Chromag Monk from dirt jump to trail mode. Beefy tires, two brakes, a dropper post, and a longer stem. Two rides in and I'm already in love. The tires feel amazing and I'm riding the front wheel a lot more due to the new stem and brake. Bottom line, it shralps!

Do you have plans for a winter build?

Is that a Saint/Elixir combo?

Oct. 26, 2012, 7:47 p.m.

Is that a Saint/Elixir combo?

Yes, the Elixir was on the back all summer and the Saint just went on. Saint rear is likely soon, along with a slightly larger cog. (Speaking of which, anybody have an 18t or 19t 1/8" cog that's not in use?)

flickr

Oct. 26, 2012, 7:52 p.m.

I know it's been posted elsewhere but this is my winter rig. There must be something about steel…….

Shed head!

Oct. 26, 2012, 7:56 p.m.

well after a whole summer off pretty much any bike, i'm going to endeavour to build up a cervelo soloist frame i traded two WBP tickets for . thing is a beautiful red , in mint condition . so far i have headset , specialized carbon fork , seat post , specialized seat , and mavic ksyrium wheel set .

can't decide if i want to build this into another flatbar long distance rando ripper , or attempt to make it into the lightest , fastest , most efficient road bike i've ever owned , all on a OCB budget :lol:

anybody got what i need , you know , just laying around ?

Oct. 26, 2012, 8:06 p.m.

Flat bar versus drop would be determined by fit. Get a spec list going Ian and I'll have a look through the bins. I'm moving next week so your timing is good.

flickr

Oct. 26, 2012, 8:21 p.m.

This thread is already off to a great start! I love seeing these 26" steel hardtails. I've got something brewing… hopefully will be wrapping it up in about a week. A nice blast from the past.

I'm also chipping away at building a flat out DH race machine… cheaply. This will take a lot more time and might fail at staying low budget, but it should be fun too.

22 Pride

Oct. 26, 2012, 8:21 p.m.

This is pretty much the regular, summer-time build, but with a fresh paint job.

Oct. 26, 2012, 8:36 p.m.

morg , ironically ( or not ) i took the frame into mighty ( 'cause i know they are THE fit shit shop ) before i made the trade to make sure it was worth putting any time or money into the project . despite the fact the frame is marked " 56 " which i would have thought too big for me , that was the size which was most appropriate for me according to the staff there .

and just as an aside , cool vibe in that shop . they gladly accepted the frame , heard my story , did a bit of research , and gave me the answer i needed without any kind of " why wouldn't you buy our shit ? " tone . i have bought a couple of sets of crud fenders there previously , but that shop is now on my circuit because of that one experience .

and of course , i'll be going there for the fit , when i get enough shit to be able to sit on it .

Oct. 27, 2012, 8:49 a.m.

Better come by Tynebridge sometime. I probably have stuff.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 27, 2012, 9:23 a.m.

poor ole Lightspeed got stripped in order to build up the mighty Delerium, and I finally scrounged enough parts to get er back in action.
Handlebar is up too high, so a DMR Drone stem is on order, and if that ain't enough, aflatbarwewillgo.

ps. I hate these hayes stroker brakes, but they were a giveaway so there they are. I HOPE to get some new brakes one day soon.

Oct. 27, 2012, 10:15 a.m.

monk is a fun trail bike, but i can't find a long enough seatpost for full extension, need a 475 or 500mm.
looking forward to running those spank 29er wheels with big sticky rubber on the hardtail.
skiing is awesome, but so is squamish riding in the winter!

Oct. 27, 2012, 10:59 a.m.

poor ole Lightspeed got stripped in order to build up the mighty Delerium, and I finally scrounged enough parts to get er back in action.
Handlebar is up too high, so a DMR Drone stem is on order, and if that ain't enough, aflatbarwewillgo.

ps. I hate these hayes stroker brakes, but they were a giveaway so there they are. I HOPE to get some new brakes one day soon.

radical kitsuma.

always wanted one of those…

while your sitten at your desk im banging laps.