Wide Rim Revolution or Fad?

May 5, 2015, 2:39 p.m.

we can make some conclusions.

i like it!

1. Those who don't have wide rims don't think much of wide rims.
2. Those who purchased wide rims think much of wide rims.
3. those who were given wide rims for test purposes are on the fence
4. those who are faster and ride harder than everyone else don't seem sold

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 5, 2015, 2:42 p.m.

I'm a believer in wide hookless carbon rims.
Lower pressure, no bead damage smashing rocks, no burping.

Yeah, I'm definitely at least a partial believer because of these benefits. What I do wonder about is the optimal width. I've got super wide but do they need to be that wide to get most of the benefits?

May 5, 2015, 2:48 p.m.

i like it!

A few years ago substitute 29ers. Then 650b. Then fat bikes. Now 27.5+/29+.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

May 5, 2015, 2:52 p.m.

A few years ago substitute 29ers. Then 650b. Then fat bikes. Now 27.5+/29+.

:lol:

/end ALL GEAR THREADS

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 5, 2015, 3:02 p.m.

i like it!

Hahaha well played.

I could see some benefits depending where you live and how you are using them. If you are in an area where speeds are greater then low pressure is not an option.

You need high pressure fer smashin dem corners brah.

May 5, 2015, 3:12 p.m.

See Clark above for an exception.

i like it!

May 5, 2015, 3:13 p.m.

What is the consensus of what is a wide rim now? Are the Enve 90 Series wide? Or are we talking about those 50mm rims?

I'd rather ride a mid to high 20s internal width rim than what I was on before.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 5, 2015, 3:21 p.m.

I built up a set of wide 29er carbon light bicycle rimes, straight gauge spoke to CK hubs and have been loving them for over a year now.

I am over 260 right now and was quite worried going over to carbon rims….but to my surprise they have been great and I have hit them very hard.

As Cam said one of the advantages is running lower pressure. I was out riding at one of my local spots and thinking how amazing the grip was while I was climbing to the top….I look down and I see the rear tire just envelop a little rock….a quick check and I see I am running 19psi in the rear and 17 in the front…whoops. I didn't put any air in the tires till I got home…had no issues on the ride back down the mountain.

Running ghetto tubeless I have not burped once in the year I have been running them. I have ripped a sidewall and was surprised how easy it was to mount a new tire (with better casing), I just used my floor pump to pump it back up. Easy. The rims are hookless too.

People like to shit on what they don't know or something that is different. I have ridden both and I can't see myself going back to little ID rims anytime soon.

With all that said, I would love to try putting some 27.5+ wheels in my Prime for shits and giggles…see if bigger is better…lol.

May 5, 2015, 3:31 p.m.

How the eff are you people running such low PSI?

LB 30mm 29er rims gorilla tubeless with a Spec Purg rear at 27 PSI on my Surface caused me to burp a tire on a trail ride airing a natural roller. First and only time I've burped a tubeless setup. Went back to 30 PSI rear after that ride. FYI I weigh under 150lbs in the raw ;)

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 5, 2015, 3:35 p.m.

How the eff are you people running such low PSI?

LB 30mm 29er rims gorilla tubeless with a Spec Purg rear at 27 PSI on my Surface caused me to burp a tire on a trail ride airing a natural roller. First and only time I've burped a tubeless setup. Went back to 30 PSI rear after that ride. FYI I weigh under 150lbs in the raw ;)

When I was running a set of Spank Oozy wheels full on tubeless I burped every friggin ride, then I ripped the freewheel apart….sold those wheels and built up these. So much better…but on a different price level as well..lol.

Yeah, I have been amazed at how low I can go. I usually keep my pressure between 25 and 30 though. I also switched from the specialized control casing to the grid casing, that really helped so many things.

May 5, 2015, 3:37 p.m.

I have the wider LB rims which were 33mm as I recall. They are solid. No burping and I am running them on a hardtail. Smooth ride and bomb proof. Won't go narrower than Flow EX in the future. I want another set of these carbon hoops for the Newmad.

May 5, 2015, 3:42 p.m.

See Clark above for an exception.

didn't see clark's sweet rootdown in that article. don't get me wrong. he (and many whistler locals) is fast as hell. but my point from a few pages back on this thread is that the fastest pro riders in the world, on the dh world cup and the ews tour, who are looking for every advantage they can get, have access to all the latest stuff and have sponsors who i'm sure would love them to get on the latest and bestest, don't seem to be running the "super wide carbon rims" folks in cat2 are all going nuts about

May 5, 2015, 4:11 p.m.

When I was running a set of Spank Oozy wheels full on tubeless I burped every friggin ride, then I ripped the freewheel apart….sold those wheels and built up these. So much better…but on a different price level as well..lol.

Yeah, I have been amazed at how low I can go. I usually keep my pressure between 25 and 30 though. I also switched from the specialized control casing to the grid casing, that really helped so many things.

I have the same hoops right now. Not bad, no real complaints. Spokes are still exactly the same tension, no hops nor any wobbles either (after 6 months). I'm burping my tires a lot less with these than the Stan's Arch EX's that were on my bike previously. I have ~35psi in my tires at the moment, but will go as low as 30. Any less and I'll pinch flat too easily.

Because I'm in the interior where the trails are 1000x faster than on the coast, I also err on the side of more air is better. Tires would be too squirmy and slow and pushing hard into corners wouldn't work.

May 5, 2015, 4:12 p.m.

Pro's ride what their sponsors tell them to ride. Wide rims are still fairly new, most big manufacturers (re: sponsors) have not really got into the game yet.

May 5, 2015, 4:20 p.m.

didn't see clark's sweet rootdown in that article. don't get me wrong. he (and many whistler locals) is fast as hell. but my point from a few pages back on this thread is that the fastest pro riders in the world, on the dh world cup and the ews tour, who are looking for every advantage they can get, have access to all the latest stuff and have sponsors who i'm sure would love them to get on the latest and bestest, don't seem to be running the "super wide carbon rims" folks in cat2 are all going nuts about

Well, sort of.

Professional bike racers of all stripes for a long time have run what their sponsors pay them to run. And that sometimes means even they DON'T get the latest and bestest. Not every Shimano sponsored athlete switched to SRAM when 1x11 was introduced and not every SRAM athlete is switching to Shimano because of Di2. Same could be said for Fox/Rock Shox and introduction of the Pike. Or for one more relevant to this topic, ACC is running wheels from her sponsor Mavic but an Ibis frame. Would she like to be on wider rims? I have no idea but if she thinks there's an edge, you can bet she's trying to convince Mavic to make some. Until then, she'll do what she's paid because that's business.