Why pay more for a fork?

May 21, 2021, 3:22 a.m.

I'm currently on a "budget" Marzocchi Z1 Air and I'm not sure I could justify the extra to go to a Fox Perf Elite/Factory 36/38 or even a Rockshox Lyrik/Zeb Ultimate.

May 21, 2021, 8:43 a.m.

I have two dvo diamonds, a 2021 lyrik ultimate and a 2021 fox 38 factory. 

The diamonds are both great. Totally functional.

My lyrik ultimate has been a big disappointment. I may try the older style air spring in it, but yeah, not good. 

My fox 38 factory is on another level. 

I think personal preference and riding style must play a big part as I can't imagine the performance difference I experience between the lyrik and 38 being true for everyone, or nobody would would buy lyriks, ever. 

Diamonds are great because they are easy to service and you can buy them used for 5 or 600 bucks all day long (or pre covid you could anyways). 

Buy again I see if differently - a 2 or 3 year old fox 38 factory and a 2 or 3 year old diamond both depreciate by 500 or 600 bucks. So sure there's a little more money tied up in the 38 up front, buy net difference they cost me the same over a couple years of riding.  

I guess I just love my 38 too much and have to justify it somehow hahaha.

May 21, 2021, 10:25 a.m.

I have an Ohlins 36 coil, a Manitou Mezzer and a Cane Creek Helm V2 coil.

Mezzer is my favourite.

May 21, 2021, 11:17 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

I have two dvo diamonds, a 2021 lyrik ultimate and a 2021 fox 38 factory. 

The diamonds are both great. Totally functional.

My lyrik ultimate has been a big disappointment. I may try the older style air spring in it, but yeah, not good. 

My fox 38 factory is on another level. 

I think personal preference and riding style must play a big part as I can't imagine the performance difference I experience between the lyrik and 38 being true for everyone, or nobody would would buy lyriks, ever. 

Diamonds are great because they are easy to service and you can buy them used for 5 or 600 bucks all day long (or pre covid you could anyways). 

Buy again I see if differently - a 2 or 3 year old fox 38 factory and a 2 or 3 year old diamond both depreciate by 500 or 600 bucks. So sure there's a little more money tied up in the 38 up front, buy net difference they cost me the same over a couple years of riding.  

I guess I just love my 38 too much and have to justify it somehow hahaha.

The 2021 Debonair air spring with the taller seal head definitely doesn't feel as good to me as the older Debonair air spring. It's lost that ridiculously plush initial movement.

I switched it out on my old Lyric, considering switching out for the older one in my Pike too.

May 21, 2021, 8:13 p.m.

i hung my ex-vert super wrong way and it puked all over the floor in the shed

June 20, 2021, 8:06 p.m.

So you're saying you could never get it linear enough? Did you try over charging the negative spring? You can do that with the Helm very easily.