Why pay more for a fork?

May 18, 2021, 9:03 p.m.

I've recently bought a cane creek mk1 coil helm and a durolux rc2. Both were great deals. The durolux was a bit ridiculous at 450CAD. I have to say, I don't think I'm ever going to spring for a top end fox or rock shox again. The performance of these two forks is far better than my fox 36 factory. That fork went back to fox twice in the first year for bushing issues. It's never felt as good as either of these forks. My lyric is quite good with the debonair upgrade by definitely not better, so why pay more?

Just thought I'd share my positive experiences with these two products. If you were thinking of giving one of them a go, I'd say give it a go. They have quickly become my favorite forks.

May 19, 2021, 9:31 a.m.

Ive never bought a fork to replace a fork that was already on my bike...knock on wood

May 19, 2021, 10:14 a.m.

Can't wait to try my new Helm Coil Mk1 too! Just need to cut the steerer and install it. I got it for an awesome deal too and on Andrew's recommendation, when I changed the travel, I swapped the seals for SKF and the lowers oil for WPL 20wt. The fork is very well made both internally and externally. Easy to work on, looks super durable, and I have received awesome customer service from Nate at Cane Creek. I have a feeling that I'll like it a lot.

The good price might be an exception , especially in these days, but I have shared this because I always bought my aftermarket forks on sale. One just needs to be attentive for a deal and jump on it when it happens.

I have the same good impression and experience with DVO suspension products. I've had 3 Diamonds D2, I'm running a Jade X and have a backup Jade that I got for a great price too before Covid. They are cheaper than the big brands, you can often find a good deal on them or get a coupon for their web store, and the customer service from DVO is exemplary too. It almost feels like being a part of a family... Enough that I feel bad for running a Helm this summer haha!

May 19, 2021, 12:21 p.m.

I had a Durolux and I agree, it was a great fork for the money. I wasnt a fan of the neg spring being an actual coil but they have since changed that from my understanding. Also loved my DVO Diamond. I'm on a ZEB now and although it is a great fork, I keep looking at the Onyx.

May 19, 2021, 7:01 p.m.

I’ve always been drawn to non-conformist parts on my bikes. My current ride has a Helm MK2 air (and DBAir rear) and comparing it to the stock fork my bike would have come with is no comparison. 

Last bike had a Manitou Mattoc Pro and same thing found it to be excellent especially when willing to put in some effort on the settings.

May 20, 2021, 7:36 a.m.

Like a moth to a flame. 

I've had a Helm MK1 air and got an MK2 this year. They're both amazing. The MK2 is naturally a little bit better, easier off the top yet still lots of midstroke support. Structurally I think it's the same fork, which is to say, totally burly. In the years I've spent on these forks I've never considered them flexy at all and they've never creaked. It turns out a fork doesn't need to be bigger in diameter to be stiff and reliable - just designed and manufactured correctly.

May 20, 2021, 9:47 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

I've recently bought a cane creek mk1 coil helm and a durolux rc2. Both were great deals. The durolux was a bit ridiculous at 450CAD. I have to say, I don't think I'm ever going to spring for a top end fox or rock shox again. The performance of these two forks is far better than my fox 36 factory. That fork went back to fox twice in the first year for bushing issues. It's never felt as good as either of these forks. My lyric is quite good with the debonair upgrade by definitely not better, so why pay more?

Just thought I'd share my positive experiences with these two products. If you were thinking of giving one of them a go, I'd say give it a go. They have quickly become my favorite forks.

I got a MK1 Helm Air when they first came out, as I have always been a fan of their CCDB shocks and had the opportunity to get one for a deal. Build, fit and finish were awesome. After about 3 months of riding it, I couldnt wait to get rid of it. I'm not a heavy or 'hard charging' rider, and the MK1 is tuned for those riders. I had the HSC and LSC fully open and had to completely remove the air piston to get it even close to my preferred riding feel. Even then, it was still too progressive for my liking. It is not a fork for everyone, and most of the reviews do make mention of this. Sold it on to someone who was looking for those characteristics, and bought myself a Lyrik Ultimate and never looked back. I know the MKII has addressed some of the MK1 concerns, so I imagine that might be a much better fork if I were looking again. Also, Im sure there are air vs coil differences that could also make a difference to the setup and ride feel.

Last edited by: shoreboy on May 20, 2021, 9:49 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 20, 2021, 9:57 a.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Posted by: RAHrider

I got a MK1 Helm Air when they first came out, as I have always been a fan of their CCDB shocks and had the opportunity to get one for a deal. Build, fit and finish were awesome. After about 3 months of riding it, I couldnt wait to get rid of it. I'm not a heavy or 'hard charging' rider, and the MK1 is tuned for those riders. I had the HSC and LSC fully open and had to completely remove the air piston to get it even close to my preferred riding feel. Even then, it was still too progressive for my liking. It is not a fork for everyone, and most of the reviews do make mention of this. Sold it on to someone who was looking for those characteristics, and bought myself a Lyrik Ultimate and never looked back. I know the MKII has addressed some of the MK1 concerns, so I imagine that might be a much better fork if I were looking again. Also, Im sure there are air vs coil differences that could also make a difference to the setup and ride feel.

Those exact characteristics make it ideal for heavier or more aggressive riders. Your experience totally aligns with my experience with RS and Fox products which never seem to work well for me without an absurd level of customization. It's good to have options!

May 20, 2021, 11:36 a.m.

Posted by: craw

Those exact characteristics make it ideal for heavier or more aggressive riders. Your experience totally aligns with my experience with RS and Fox products which never seem to work well for me without an absurd level of customization. It's good to have options!

Since I'm average weight, I guess I'll see if I'm in the more agressive rider category or not 😅

Last edited by: martin on May 20, 2021, 11:47 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 20, 2021, 12:11 p.m.

Posted by: martin

Since I'm average weight, I guess I'll see if I'm in the more agressive rider category or not 😅

If you are getting a coil, it might well be a different experience than the air version I had. Hopefully the spring rate will be OK for you. Im assuming they offer other springs for heavier/lighter riders?

May 20, 2021, 1:40 p.m.

had to completely remove the air piston 

Okay I've not been inside a Helm...but how on earth does an air spring work without it's piston??? 

My understanding is the MK1 Helm complaints are a compression tune issue and spots like Suspension Werx can re-valve them if needed. 

I bought a MK1 late last winter (before the MK2 was announced) for a build that's still in progress so I've not ridden it yet, it's just been sitting there staring at me begging me to finish building the damn frame. Looking forward to finally riding it.

May 20, 2021, 2:43 p.m.

Posted by: martin

If you are getting a coil, it might well be a different experience than the air version I had. Hopefully the spring rate will be OK for you. Im assuming they offer other springs for heavier/lighter riders?

The stock spring is Medium (55lbs) but they also have 35/45/55/65.  The Ohlins supposedly fit, and they apparently have more weight choices. Since the medium s'ring that comes with the fork is recommended for 180lbs riders and that's pretty much exactly my weight with kit, it should be perfect. I should know in a bout a week when I finish building the bike!

May 20, 2021, 4:28 p.m.

I think they're especially good of you can buy them in good used condition, as resale value is shit. 

I have a DVO diamond I bought for like 450 bucks and it's great. 

That said if you tend to "rent" your parts an flip them to try new stuff, fox factory stuff is easy to sell and holds its value, I find that offsets the higher intial cost.

May 20, 2021, 7:12 p.m.

Posted by: Kenny

I think they're especially good of you can buy them in good used condition, as resale value is shit. 

I have a DVO diamond I bought for like 450 bucks and it's great. 

That said if you tend to "rent" your parts an flip them to try new stuff, fox factory stuff is easy to sell and holds its value, I find that offsets the higher intial cost.

This is a really good point. I don't like flipping my stuff all the time. I also tend to break a lot of stuff. I don't trust the csu on my fox at all and won't be surprised when it starts creaking. I'm happy to have some forks with a better reputation for durability. 

I am a big guy and ride fairly aggressively and the mk1 is perfectly tuned for me - which is a bit of a concern for lighter riders. The coil is very supple and I did get the spring changed when I bought it.

The durolux is likely good for anyone. It is stiffer than my other forks, very supple and easy to work on. Depending on how things go, I think I will just keep buying these two brands rather than going back to fox and Sram.

I could never get my dvo quite right and then the csu went after three seasons of part time use, probably won't get one of those again.

May 20, 2021, 9:23 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

had to completely remove the air piston

Okay I've not been inside a Helm...but how on earth does an air spring work without it's piston???

My understanding is the MK1 Helm complaints are a compression tune issue and spots like Suspension Werx can re-valve them if needed.

I bought a MK1 late last winter (before the MK2 was announced) for a build that's still in progress so I've not ridden it yet, it's just been sitting there staring at me begging me to finish building the damn frame. Looking forward to finally riding it.

Sorry, that wasnt clear now that I re-read it. The Helm uses a disc/shaft in place of tokens for changing progressiveness. You move a disc up and down on a shaft to make the change. I ended up needing to take the disc completely out and it still wasn't enough for me. The next option was going to be to cut the shaft off, but I cut my losses and sold it before doing that.

Last edited by: shoreboy on May 20, 2021, 9:25 p.m., edited 1 time in total.