Why did cush core have to be so good?

Feb. 10, 2020, 2:03 p.m.

Will do.. the caveat is that I am running them with 2.5" tires on a 35mm rim... not ideal according to their recommendations.   But after installation and a bit of unscientific goofing about they feel good... will report back after I get some legit ride time.

Feb. 11, 2020, 9:45 p.m.

I had a rear one on my last bike. Mainly for the whole 'I don't want to crack my carbon rim so I'll stick this heavy strip of foam in my tire' scenario which is kind of daft. I recognized the benefit of bottom out resistance but my new bike has nice cheap aluminium rims again so I'm pleased to not run CC this time around. I can straighten out most dings with the soft jaws at work, build a wheel while drinking beer in an evening and will cost me minimum $ and have easy tire installs. I've just upped my tire pressures slightly again for rim protection. If you like to smash the shit out of your bike then there's no denying that they will help save your rims though.

Feb. 16, 2020, 9:40 p.m.

Any light riders using cushcore on here? I want to upgrade my wife's bike but she's less than 120lbs. Currently I've got her on a minion rear 2.3 and a magic Mary 2.35 front. Both are about 800-900g. Thinking if I drop in CC I could swap her to a lighter tire. Any suggestions for a BC worthy 29x 2.3-2.4 tire that weighs around 700g? Not worried about the casing as she is easy on tires and the cc will provide sidewall support. I just want something grippy and with adequate tread.

Feb. 17, 2020, 4:58 a.m.

I’m not light (78kg) but have found CC amazing. Hard to articulate how much better my hardtail feels with it in.

For a lightish, fast, versatile and grippy rear, try a forecaster, or maybe even a 2.3 DHR. I really rate the 2.35 Forekaster.

Feb. 18, 2020, 7:30 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Any light riders using cushcore on here? I want to upgrade my wife's bike but she's less than 120lbs. Currently I've got her on a minion rear 2.3 and a magic Mary 2.35 front. Both are about 800-900g. Thinking if I drop in CC I could swap her to a lighter tire. Any suggestions for a BC worthy 29x 2.3-2.4 tire that weighs around 700g? Not worried about the casing as she is easy on tires and the cc will provide sidewall support. I just want something grippy and with adequate tread.

My wife is 140ish 5,8. She is not crazy but drops 2 footers and loves mild tech. She runs Minion 2.3 winter and 2.5 summer. We still run tubes in her bike for a few reasons. #1 she is a wiz at fixing flats, so running tubes give her peace of mind knowing she can fix it easy. #2 at her weight she can run low pressure and not ding rims. We feel there is no need to go tubless or run CC. If she really starts to go bigger or faster we will reassess.

Feb. 18, 2020, 9:13 a.m.

Posted by: heathen

My wife is 140ish 5,8. She is not crazy but drops 2 footers and loves mild tech. She runs Minion 2.3 winter and 2.5 summer. We still run tubes in her bike for a few reasons. #1 she is a wiz at fixing flats, so running tubes give her peace of mind knowing she can fix it easy. #2 at her weight she can run low pressure and not ding rims. We feel there is no need to go tubless or run CC. If she really starts to go bigger or faster we will reassess.

My wife is in a similar category. 125ish 5'4". Loves tech and the occasional small drop, but is not super aggressive. Runs a 2.35 MagicMary front, 2.35 HansDampf or Nobby Nic rear. Currently runs tubes for the reasons stated above, but on her new bike we are building her for this season she will likely go tubeless to enjoy the weight savings and increased traction. I dont have any fear of her dinging rims, and CushCore would be way overkill for her I think.

Last edited by: shoreboy on Feb. 18, 2020, 9:15 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 18, 2020, 1:34 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

My wife is in a similar category. 125ish 5'4". Loves tech and the occasional small drop, but is not super aggressive. Runs a 2.35 MagicMary front, 2.35 HansDampf or Nobby Nic rear. Currently runs tubes for the reasons stated above, but on her new bike we are building her for this season she will likely go tubeless to enjoy the weight savings and increased traction. I dont have any fear of her dinging rims, and CushCore would be way overkill for her I think.

We might go tubless this summer.

Feb. 18, 2020, 1:46 p.m.

I got a super cheap 27.5 ProCore kit last fall, and put it in my front wheel.  So far so good.  Lowered pressure down to about ~20psi from ~25psi before. Will probably throw it on the back wheel as well when I change tires for the spring.

Feb. 18, 2020, 2:41 p.m.

I got a super cheap 27.5 ProCore kit last fall, and put it in my front wheel.  So far so good.  Lowered pressure down to about ~20psi from ~25psi before. Will probably throw it on the back wheel as well when I change tires for the spring.

If you only have one CC why run it in the front? I would think the rear would give the most benefit.

Feb. 18, 2020, 2:46 p.m.

I’m the same weight. Go tubeless. It’s better in all respects except initial set up but even that isn’t all that difficult. If she flats. IF. Then the field repair is the same. Remove tire and valve, install tube.

Feb. 18, 2020, 3:11 p.m.

If you only have one CC why run it in the front? I would think the rear would give the most benefit.

I actually have both.  I decided to try it on the front wheel first so that I could run some much lower pressures to give myself some more grip during the wet season.  Im not a crusher of rims or equipment, so I dont need it so much to prevent dings in the rear. Ill probably throw it in the back like I said, and see what comes of it. Truthfully, I probably dont need it at all, and will eventually just go to full tubeless to save the weight.

Feb. 18, 2020, 7:18 p.m.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to try the XC inserts in her wheels and let her run 15psi.  We'll see what she thinks. If she doesn't like them, I'll throw them in my rigid single speed.

She's already running most of the tires mentioned here. She has one bike with a 2.3 DHR and 2.35 magic mary. The other bike is a hans damf and DHR, both 2.4.

I'll let y'all know what she thinks when she tries them. As for those not putting tubeless in light people's tires, that is unfortunate. Those are the people who benefit the most. They will feel the rigidity of the tires and increased rolling resistance. They also won't roll the tire as much.

Feb. 19, 2020, 7:47 a.m.

I'm on the Clyde(225-230lbs) portion of the weight scale and trying out XC CC on my Tallboy.  I like to punish myself with the occasional XC Race too but will was willing to tryout these inserts. My tires get a bit squirmy on me if I go too low.  I've been running Maxxis Forecasters EXO (2.6F/2.35R) this winter at about 23F/28R psi.  With XC-CC, I was able to drop those down to 18F/22R psi.  I've only been on a couple rides thus far but really enjoying the traction gains...especially in the wet rocks cornering aspect.  I also appreciate the traction gained on tech climbing too.  

I've got my 1st race with them this weekend and we'll see how they go.

Cheers. Mike

Feb. 19, 2020, 7:47 p.m.

is there a point where all that extra traction starts to be a negative? i find that the occasional squirmyness adds a level of unpredictability that can make a ride more fun.

Feb. 19, 2020, 11:17 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

is there a point where all that extra traction starts to be a negative? i find that the occasional squirmyness adds a level of unpredictability that can make a ride more fun.

No