Who's using oval rings?

Aug. 29, 2015, 1:34 p.m.

who says it hurts knees? i ask because i'm getting sore knees lately. there are a few factors i'm thinking; i'm riding a lot this summer. my group rides further, higher and faster than ever before (new young riders in group and the 'enduro effect') i switched to 1 x about 6 months ago and previously climbed steeps on a 29er in 22x36. that is much lower than 30x42. and at 48 i ain't getting any younger….. i really like the oval in general but i'm going to go to 28 round (still harder than 22x36 according to bike calc) to see if my knees get happier.

I definitely haven't noticed any issues with my knees on oval or round chainrings.. I will say that when I went down to a 28t round chainring that my suspension feel was affected negatively… back to a 32 oval right now and everything feels better… just have to work a bit more on the climbs. Having said that I will switch back to the 28 round for certain events that require a boatload of climbing, but for daily use I will stick with the 32 oval.

Aug. 30, 2015, 10:41 p.m.

I will say that when I went down to a 28t round chainring that my suspension feel was affected negatively…

Why? How? Please elaborate.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Aug. 31, 2015, 8:37 a.m.

Why? How? Please elaborate.

I think it's because my frame ( and many others) are optimized for 32-34t chainrings. Go smaller and I seem to lose some suppleness and square edge performance. Now it's not terrible by any means but definitely noticeable.

Sept. 2, 2015, 10:54 a.m.

i've gone back to the 28t round NW ring on the front and think i'll stay there.

if anyone is interested i've got an Absoluteblack 30t oval NW RF Cinch chanin ring for sale. PM for details, photos…

Sept. 2, 2015, 9:29 p.m.

I think it's because my frame ( and many others) are optimized for 32-34t chainrings. Go smaller and I seem to lose some suppleness and square edge performance. Now it's not terrible by any means but definitely noticeable.

Yes I see what you mean I look at my bike the chain emanating from the 30t c/r dissects the c/s pivot almost precisely in half.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 30, 2016, 10:57 a.m.

Anyone have tried and compared the OneUp traction versus Absolute Black versus Wolftooth? They all have different ideas on where to position the crank arm and the ovality. I have the Absolute Black and it's nice but I can't really say I've noticed a huge difference.

March 30, 2016, 12:05 p.m.

Ive been using oval rings since 2012 . Started with a 20 turn granny and then went to 21-36 DOUBLE ,the only double oval around. I just installed a 21-34 2x doval brand set. I really like how it suits my riding with 11-34 rear. I have always felt the oval rings were easier on my knees and with less perceived effort for the same climbs vs round rings.

March 30, 2016, 12:08 p.m.

Ive been using oval rings since 2012 . Started with a 20 turn granny and then went to 21-36 DOUBLE ,the only double oval around. I just installed a 21-34 2x doval brand set. I really like how it suits my riding with 11-34 rear. I have always felt the oval rings were easier on my knees and with less perceived effort for the same climbs vs round rings.

Rotor do doubles as well. I think only larger tooth counts though. I think mine is a 27 X 40? Don't use it anymore because the shifting stunk. Dropped chains and chainsuck. Unacceptable. The road double I had shifted well though.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

March 30, 2016, 1:38 p.m.

Yup I'd seen the rotor doubles but nothing mtb appropriate.
The newest DOVAL doubles shift pretty darn good once you get used to shifting in the right part of your stroke.21/34 makes for a nice shore combo .
Never going back to round rings.

March 30, 2016, 8:45 p.m.

I have a 100km or so on a Oneup oval and it's not going anywhere , I love it , smoothed out climbs and made it them easier IMO.

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 30, 2016, 8:54 p.m.

Anyone have tried and compared the OneUp traction versus Absolute Black versus Wolftooth? They all have different ideas on where to position the crank arm and the ovality. I have the Absolute Black and it's nice but I can't really say I've noticed a huge difference.

I'm interested too and have no experience but I really doubt there is any noticeable difference between the minor differences in ovality and clocking.

March 30, 2016, 11:08 p.m.

What I've noticed is that the oval rings seem to make more of a difference on my flats and less on my clipless pedals.

March 31, 2016, 10:29 a.m.

What I've noticed is that the oval rings seem to make more of a difference on my flats and less on my clipless pedals.

Yes !
Although the clocking on my DOVAL is adjustable with five different positions
Position one is for clipless

Position five for flats
I have played with the settings and it does make a difference