Who's using oval rings?

Aug. 21, 2015, 9:44 a.m.

Stop bragging! ;)

Ok I'm really interested in these now.

I'm assuming his "new" 32t is a round ring, and that he is therefore manly.

If the new 32t in this case is actually an oval ring, then I agree. Interesting.

Aug. 21, 2015, 10:26 a.m.

Im using a doval 32t nw ring from eBay. I haven't noticed a lick of difference with the oval profile. Its my first nw ring though and I do love how well that part of it works.

I just ordered one of these. Do they come with instructions for timing it correctly or is it a trial and error thing?

Aug. 21, 2015, 11:29 a.m.

I have a feeling that, in addition to one's individual tastes and pedalling style, the gains to be had with an oval ring might be greatest for those that use flat pedals (me) and ride hardtails (me.)

Thoughts of those whom are familiar with these oval acts of wonder?

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 21, 2015, 11:47 a.m.

Hardtail with flats is what mine will be installed on. EBay had the doval ones for dirt cheap. I paid $18 including shipping. Worth the experiment at that price

Aug. 22, 2015, 7:47 a.m.

See video

http://absoluteblack.cc/chainrings.html

Aug. 24, 2015, 8:40 p.m.

I got an oval wheelset. Man those babies rotate like nothing I've ever ridden before.

Aug. 25, 2015, 7:31 a.m.

I got an oval wheelset. Man those babies rotate like nothing I've ever ridden before.

I heard about those! I haven't talked to anyone whose ridden them.

Are they the SyncrO's Synchronized Ovals?

I heard they ruled. People dropping hammers on Strava PB's and KM's.

My problem is that they only come in 650b and 29, and I'm still on 26.

Maybe it's time for a new bike…but I was also thinking about waiting for the SyncrO's 650plus compatible frames to come out. I know Specialized is developing one.

Aug. 25, 2015, 7:43 a.m.

Those must kick ass when you get them up to speed.

Aug. 25, 2015, 8:44 a.m.

Those must kick ass when you get them up to speed.

I've heard the SyncrOs Resonate Elipses are better at speed. I mean it is there DH rim, so it makes sense.

Aug. 25, 2015, 9:33 a.m.

I've got those too. I can never get mine in sync though so my headtube and seat angles are constantly adjusting. Hell of a work out tho.

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 25, 2015, 4:53 p.m.

I've got those too. I can never get mine in sync though so my headtube and seat angles are constantly adjusting. Hell of a work out tho.

That's the advantage of SyncrO's Synchronized Ovals rimsets.

That's exactly what makes them the best rims on the market right now. The ANT (Always N'Sync Technology) system blows the other EllipseTech systems off the trail.

It really sucks for the guys who have incompatible frames and have to use old round technology as their rear wheel, with the ElipseTech up front.

But I hear ProblemSolvers and a few others are working on asynchronous hub sets to compensate.

Aug. 28, 2015, 2:31 p.m.

Picked up a OneUp ring to see what the fuss is about. For reference I'm a flat pedal masher.

Initial parking lot review:

You can definitely feel the oval when casually spinning/cruising. Kinda feels weird but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Haven't done any real climbs with it yet but when pushing a harder gear the tires' road hum is less pulsing and more constant. Although that might just be in my head. Once the weather improves I'll give it a good mountain road climb and see what's up.

As you can see, there's not a lot of clearance from the long end (34t equivalent?) and the chainstay. Also I didn't realize these were threaded, I don't have long enough bolts handy to mount the bashring too.

Aug. 29, 2015, 6:09 a.m.

there are oval bashrings?

Aug. 29, 2015, 7 a.m.

there are oval bashrings?

Hah, no. But the one I have fits up to 34t

Aug. 29, 2015, 12:51 p.m.

Some people says it helps knees. Others say they hurt knees?

who says it hurts knees? i ask because i'm getting sore knees lately. there are a few factors i'm thinking; i'm riding a lot this summer. my group rides further, higher and faster than ever before (new young riders in group and the 'enduro effect') i switched to 1 x about 6 months ago and previously climbed steeps on a 29er in 22x36. that is much lower than 30x42. and at 48 i ain't getting any younger….. i really like the oval in general but i'm going to go to 28 round (still harder than 22x36 according to bike calc) to see if my knees get happier.