Which knee pads are you guys using?

June 27, 2022, 1:28 p.m.

Posted by: martin

Posted by: Hepcat

/\ Now that is how a helpful post is done. My man. 🍺

@XXX_er, liquid urethane is just from the hardware store? Is there a brand name you use? Sorry, I'm in Europe and Google results are just hilarious.

Haha! Thanks! I try to be as helpful as I can with the spare time I have left 😅

I've also used Seam Grip on a few things and it's (very) smelly but works awesome. Do it outside or in a ventilated room if you can. My old steel-toed boots lost all their sole when I was working full-time as a trailbuilder. I thouroughly cleaned both surfaces properly at night (with 70% isopropyl alcohol), put on a layer of Seam Grip and tped that together for 12-24 hours. Not only did they last for many more months of 50-60hrs/week in the mud and knocking stumps and rocks, but they're still glued together 10 years later.

Thanks for the info Martin.  Rep to you.

June 29, 2022, 1:21 p.m.

I found a great use for aqua seal, I used it to fix holes and rips on the cover of  a talegate pad

June 29, 2022, 11:28 p.m.

After arduously going through the most bewildering selection of pads I've ever seen I picked up a pair of IXS Trigger Race pads. Sort of a medium duty pad, like all-mountain. Although I'm currently using them in the bike park.

Not as bulky as my beefy Ion K-Pact zips, but plenty of protection and way easier to get on. Fit under pants easily.

The Trigger Race is like a beefed up IXS Flow, but longer to give upper shin protection, and a bit of added side of the knee protection. All made of thick D3O material and capped with plastic so it slides.

After a bunch of frustrating zippered pads I've decided they suck, I'm sticking with slip-ons for durability and ease of donning. All of my pads go on my ankles for climbing now anyways.

Sizing of the Triggers is on the big side. I'm average height but heavy, with pretty broad legs, but narrow knees. Large on me was enormous, medium worked ok, but since they're slip-ons and there's no zipper to break, I actually squeezed into some smalls and ended up buying those.

I haven't eaten it wearing them yet, but they seem to stay up well like Flows do. Ion K-Pacts feel more firmly glued in place, but they are also way bulkier.

Last edited by: Hepcat on June 29, 2022, 11:35 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
June 30, 2022, 7:57 a.m.

Cool, I owned a couple sets of IXS flows in a row and really liked them, I only strayed from them searching for more side protection. 

Just yesterday I was digging around the web tying to figure out the difference between the carve and trigger. 

Did you consider the carve as well?

I was thinking either seem like a good option based on my positive experience with the flows. Online reviews seem to show a slight preference for carves (not that online reviews for knee pads are worth much).

June 30, 2022, 9:58 p.m.

I've now done a toasty week of riding in Moab and last weekend at Whistler (moderately toasty) in Chromag Rifts.  The only problem I ever had with my 1st-gen Raceface Indy knees was chafing at the very bottom of the mini-shin pad during long sweaty rides.  No problems with the Rifts! 

I've had one big crash on them on a slab without a mark on my knee, but I'm pretty sure my primary point of impact was my hip.

July 2, 2022, 1:33 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Cool, I owned a couple sets of IXS flows in a row and really liked them, I only strayed from them searching for more side protection. 

Just yesterday I was digging around the web tying to figure out the difference between the carve and trigger. 

Did you consider the carve as well?

I was thinking either seem like a good option based on my positive experience with the flows. Online reviews seem to show a slight preference for carves (not that online reviews for knee pads are worth much).

Carve seems like part way between Flow and Trigger. Not quite as long as Trigger. Looks like people said they wanted a Flow with more coverage and the Carve was the answer. All of those 3 are kind of lighter pedally trail pads though, even the Trigger is not really a park pad at all.

July 5, 2022, 11:03 a.m.

So we all got pads that have the locker room smell, they aren't really dirty they just smell SO thot i would try the vinegar trick, which is that the acetic acid in vinegar kills the stink

I put them in the sink but i know they will float so I put a large soup pot in the sink to hold them under

A half cup of white vinegar with enough water to cover them let soak for awhile, take em out to dry over night and now i smell like a french fry

July 5, 2022, 12:07 p.m.

I wash mine in the washing machine with Borax and Nellie's powder soap, then let air dry stink gone.

July 5, 2022, 12:14 p.m.

well i get a faint vinegar smell but its way > the funky sports gear smell

July 5, 2022, 1:24 p.m.

NikWax BaseWash also works fairly well. I think the Borax and soap route as pointed out above will work too.

July 5, 2022, 2 p.m.

there is also a product called myrazyme they use on wet suits

I was curious about Vinegar and I had a big jug in the cupboard

btw don't try to cook with any of these other products

Last edited by: XXX_er on July 5, 2022, 2:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 18, 2022, 1:28 p.m.

Properly airing out/drying your gear after usage is the best way to deal with odour.  Pulling liner from helmet, knee pads, gloves hung to dry. 

Failing that; Sports Suds Laundry Detergent (Canadian Company) is what I swear by. Really pungent items can be soaked in a bucket or sink overnight before washing in the machine.

Last edited by: Endur-Bro on July 18, 2022, 1:31 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 18, 2022, 8:01 p.m.

Just a quick follow up about the Leatt 3DF 6.0 knee pads. Went riding 20kms today in 31C humid conditions and wore the pads for the first time. They have not creeped down (and the velcro strap was almost not tightened at all) altough the silicone strip at the top was quite wet and didn't feel glued to my thighs. I'd say it's normal for a humid xc ride in a sunny 31 degrees. No chafing, no hot spots, I litterally forgot I had them on. They felt a lot less bulky than my Dakine and with those I always had some behind-the-knee rub and chafing. I'll probably buy another pair of the 6.0 when they stop making them!

July 22, 2022, 9:08 a.m.

I just picked up the Sam Hill knee pads and man are they comfortable! They are warmer than my Fox Enduro D3O pads...but also have more protection, are easier to get on and off....I hope I don't find out if they protect better than the Foxes for a while...lol.

July 26, 2022, 10:31 p.m.

I got some Chromag rifts based on recommendations from here and elsewhere and got to test them out yesterday. Went over the bars on a tight, rocky corner and smacked a rock square with the top of my knee. The pad stayed in place, kneecap was tender but basically undamaged. The ride was ~24 miles and I found them to be very comfortable pedaling.

I'm coming from Fox enduro knee sleeves. They were comfortable to pedal but I wanted a little more protection.

I'll keep running the rifts and will pass on the knee sleeves to a riding buddy who is knee-pad-curious.