Which knee pads are you guys using?

May 1, 2019, 10:18 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

i just thought it would look cool to see my initials leading the top 4 threads, just for petty giggles.

I did that with the whole main page once, but it was harder back then as the site had more traffic.

May 3, 2019, 10:28 p.m.

Been running a set of POC VPDs for a few years now. They're bombproof. Zero damage to them and me. Saved losing a few kilos off the knees over the years.

Some people dont like em because you gotta take your shoes off. That never bothers me, gives me a chance to tip out some loam. Don't know why that's such a huge factor for people, will they turn into a pumpkin if they take their shoes off in the forest?

May 6, 2019, 4:12 p.m.

Posted by: TheWasp

Been running a set of POC VPDs for a few years now. They're bombproof. Zero damage to them and me. Saved losing a few kilos off the knees over the years.

Some people dont like em because you gotta take your shoes off. That never bothers me, gives me a chance to tip out some loam. Don't know why that's such a huge factor for people, will they turn into a pumpkin if they take their shoes off in the forest?

Hah. Not a huge deal, but nice to take them full off/on and strap to top tube or pack for long climbs, or take em off to eat lunch if it's hot out etc.

May 13, 2019, 7:23 a.m.

They are all so personal, but for me the 7iDP projects are super comfortable, but seriously warm, as they are basically a thick leg warmer, with a big pad attached to them. They would be my heavy duty go to pad I think these days.

For lighter duties, i've never worn anything as comfortable as the Dainese Trail Skins 2. I came across them by chance after forgetting my pads for a ride, borrowed some & they were mega. Came home, ordered a pair straight away.

Oct. 23, 2020, 9:49 p.m.

Inspired by Trevor's elbow pad shootout article, I'm bringing back this thread with a bit of a twist.

I've had a pair of Indys since they first came out (2014?) and they've finally lost enough elasticity and have enough runs in the mesh that they're due for replacement. I'm leaning towards getting another pair, but I'd like to make sure that there isn't anything better out there.

Most of the past posts are "I use brand X and I like them." What I'm looking for is opinions from people who have used RF Indy Knees and have tried something else that they found to be better (or if the Indys were better than X)

My only minor complaint with them is on long (maybe over 25km?) hot rides where I'm wearing them continuously. The bottom edge of the d30 pad starts to wear through my skin. That may be due to them glacially slipping down (over a period of like 20mins) and me reaching the point of being fatigued enough not to notice.

Oct. 24, 2020, 5:35 a.m.

Posted by: WeTYC...

What I'm looking for is opinions from people who have used RF Indy Knees and have tried something else that they found to be better (or if the Indys were better than X)

I have used 2 pairs of Indy knee pads. Then I got a set of the longer G-Form Knee/Shin pads for winter use and continued to use the Indy's in the summer. After using the G-Forms last winter I really liked them a lot so I'm going to get some shorter knee only G-Form pads for summer use. I find both models of pads comfortable for all day riding. My reason for preferring the G-Form pads over the Indys is they stay in place better despite the Indys having a strap and the G-Form pads being just a sleeve. Protection seems to be a wash, but that's my unscientific opinion. I came at this expecting to like the Indys more and being surprised by how much I liked riding in the G-Form pads.

Last edited by: Vikb on Oct. 24, 2020, 7:15 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Oct. 25, 2020, 5:45 p.m.

Vikb - have you had a look at the g-form e-line? I'm waiting to see who can stock these as I think these may be a great move for an all-in set of pads if thy can keep the comfort and feel the same. I just picked up a set of 7idp flex knee pads and they work so well for pedalling. They feel like a set of smiths scabs but I can wear them all day on the knees. Definitely helps in the colder climate too

Oct. 25, 2020, 6:35 p.m.

I'm using Race Flank knee/shins and I hate them. 

They don't fit anymore and they're uncomfortable. I can't replace them though because I haven't found another pair of non-Joey knee/shin pads.  I don't like hard shell pads at all and nearly all knee shin pass are hard shell.

Oct. 26, 2020, 5:45 a.m.

Posted by: DanL

Vikb - have you had a look at the g-form e-line? I'm waiting to see who can stock these as I think these may be a great move for an all-in set of pads if thy can keep the comfort and feel the same. I just picked up a set of 7idp flex knee pads and they work so well for pedalling. They feel like a set of smiths scabs but I can wear them all day on the knees. Definitely helps in the colder climate too

I've seen them. I'm looking at the G-Form Pro Rugged pads, but the E-Line did catch my eye as well. The two activities I'd use them for are techy trail riding and long distance skateboarding so the Pro Rugged seem like the better match as a lighter duty pad. I have a set of RF Ambush pads I could use if I was going to ride fast someplace rocky. Of course it's hard to tell how I'll love a set of pads until a month after they show up at the house so it's a bit of a gamble either way.

I will try and follow my new process and buy a 2nd set if it turns out I love the knee pads I buy! At least that means that part of the equation is solved for a few years. :-)

I'm glad you like the 7idp pads. A well fitting pair of knee pads is a beautiful thing!

Last edited by: Vikb on Oct. 26, 2020, 5:47 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 26, 2020, 11:03 a.m.

Newest versions of the Race Face Indy and Race Face Flank. I've owned 7Dip, Troy Lee and POC soft pads, and I seem to always go back to the Race Face as I find them comfortable and durable.

Oct. 26, 2020, 12:27 p.m.

I used to use RF Indy and am now on Dakine Slayer for the past year. I find the Slayer more comfortable for pedalling. Get the Slayer Pro is you want/need a bit of extra protection and fit adjustment...

Oct. 26, 2020, 1:32 p.m.

I’m using the Chromag knees for all pedal rides, and Fox Launch Pro (d30 with hard shell removable knee caps) for bike park/shuttle. No complaints about either. Crashed whilst wearing them and each time they did their job very well.

I forget I’m wearing the Chromag ones most of the time. They are very well designed, never move around and offer more than adequate protection. 

The Fox ones are a bit bulkier of course but that doesn’t matter given their intended purpose. Fit is great, protection is excellent however they can get a bit sweaty in the summer heat. Not a big deal when you’re not pedaling all day though.

Oct. 26, 2020, 5:44 p.m.

Posted by: WeTYC...

Inspired by Trevor's elbow pad shootout article, I'm bringing back this thread with a bit of a twist.

I've had a pair of Indys since they first came out (2014?) and they've finally lost enough elasticity and have enough runs in the mesh that they're due for replacement. I'm leaning towards getting another pair, but I'd like to make sure that there isn't anything better out there.

Most of the past posts are "I use brand X and I like them." What I'm looking for is opinions from people who have used RF Indy Knees and have tried something else that they found to be better (or if the Indys were better than X)

My only minor complaint with them is on long (maybe over 25km?) hot rides where I'm wearing them continuously. The bottom edge of the d30 pad starts to wear through my skin. That may be due to them glacially slipping down (over a period of like 20mins) and me reaching the point of being fatigued enough not to notice.

If you're looking for something lightweight like those thin sleeve RF Indy's, the IXS Flow has been perfect in my experience. Stay on like they're glued there, comfy enough that I've worn them all day. I've got the zip ones but don't really use the zipper much.

Oct. 27, 2020, 9:07 a.m.

I think what can make a huge difference is having a choice to try, which means sometimes schlepping around several stores to try pads on. My local bike store has a wide range from Dakine, 7idp, IXS and Troy Lee. No Race Face though as stock is g-o-n-e but at least I was able to try out the new Slayers which were what I was using last until I tried on the 7idp Knee flex and it clicked for me, but not the Sam Hill or the IXS. 
All have great reviews but fit is as personal as saddle or brakes

Nov. 3, 2020, 9:49 p.m.

Oh man, looking closer at all the options you guys have offered up has really muddied the waters!

Before I got the Indys, I had the first-generation pull-on Flanks. I still use (and like!) them but only for cold weather and occasional not-overly pedally summer rides.

I think the IXS Flows are too short for my liking--I want a little more coverage for the upper nub of my tibia.

Vik, is the back side of the SmartFlex on the G-Form totally smooth, or does it have any channels in it to maybe allow a little air movement between the sleeve and pad?

I really like the looks of the Chromags--do inserts that appear to be perforated allow sweat to vent out?

I didn't realize that the Indys had moved the strap from the thigh to the calf. That's a major improvement in my books--might be enough to tip the balance to them.