Which knee pads are you guys using?

Jan. 11, 2018, 10:15 a.m.

I have the IXS Daggers and like them, but they did slip down in one of my accidents and I paid the price. They are super comfy though.

For my next set I am looking at the Fox Launch and the Leatte 6.0...I like the hard plastic for the knees.

Jan. 11, 2018, 1:50 p.m.

Hmm I also have the daggers and find they fit very securely and the plastic on the knee probably helps them slide along the ground instead of down your leg. I just don't use them much because they are hot and heavy, dh only for me.

Jan. 11, 2018, 10:05 p.m.

I'm happy with my Dakine Slayers.  Pretty much forget they're on after 5 minutes.  They've done their job in one OTB incident that resulted in my elbow getting mangled, after which I bought a pair of the elbow pads as well.

Jan. 16, 2018, 12:36 p.m.

I had the same problem with RF Indy pads tearing, but that was before I knew this trick (applies to ALL slide-on knee pads): 

When you put them on or take them off your foot, rotate them so that they face backwards. This puts less stress on the stretchy material, and they'll slide on and off more easily. Whatever knee pads you run, they'll last longer.

Also, I don't know if you can find them in many places yet, but I can recommend the Sweet Protection Bear Suit knee pads. Nice to pedal in, stay in place, no chafe.

Jan. 16, 2018, 4:48 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

I had the same problem with RF Indy pads tearing, but that was before I knew this trick (applies to ALL slide-on knee pads): 

When you put them on or take them off your foot, rotate them so that they face backwards. This puts less stress on the stretchy material, and they'll slide on and off more easily. Whatever knee pads you run, they'll last longer.

Also, I don't know if you can find them in many places yet, but I can recommend the Sweet Protection Bear Suit knee pads. Nice to pedal in, stay in place, no chafe.

Oh yeah I picked up that trick too, it's made my ixs flows last 2x longer than a pair I had before.

April 19, 2019, 10:52 a.m.

New season, time to replace clapped out pads. What are you guys on that make you happy?

I don't give a crap if I can pedal with them as long as they stay put and offer robust protection. I want my knees to feel like a swaddled newborn, while I'm recklessly plunging rock gardens.

For heavy pads currently using Ion K-Pact Zips. Stay up and fit tight, but take about 5 sweaty minutes to wrestle on while the zipper breaks open continuously. Btw I recommend sizing up if you go with these, they're inherently ardurous to put on and medium is too small even for my skeleton knees.

Thinking maybe Race Face Ambush to replace them. Size L? Or Fox Launch D30? Scott Grenade? Or something else easy to put on and mega protective? Size?

Last edited by: Hepcat on April 19, 2019, 5:35 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
April 19, 2019, 6:10 p.m.

I’ve been wearing the 7IDP Sam Hill’s. Happy with them so far. Seem to stay In place really well when you make sure you pull the bottom cuff just above the thickest part of your calf. Padding cups around my knee nicely and easy to forget about once the climbing starts. However they may be a little warm when the weather gets hot, obviously not a concern right now.

April 24, 2019, 9 a.m.

I just ordered a new pair of 7IDP,s , got the Flex-Knee shin pads . I have been using the knee pad version and decided they worked so well I wanted a pair with more protection. These have the option of removing the shin pad should one choose.

April 29, 2019, 12:30 p.m.

I'm still on my OG Race Face Ambush from 2014 or 2015... great for dudes with thicker legs, good D3O protection and you can take them on/off without removing your shoes. They stay put while riding and are decent at not sliding down when you crash (of course hard plastic vs. fabric will slide better).

Reminds me I need to wash them, they stink right now... washing a couple times a summer helps.

April 30, 2019, 7:46 a.m.

Is there a shop between Vancouver and Pemberton that stocks 7idp?

May 1, 2019, 9:46 a.m.

Posted by: craw

Bought mine from CRC , ordered them last Monday and had them Wednesday afternoon.

May 1, 2019, 2:56 p.m.

Posted by: DemonMike

Bought mine from CRC , ordered them last Monday and had them Wednesday afternoon.

Funny thing is that the CRC pricing I get for 7ipd products isn't great. Plus I actually want to try them on. Anyone know of a local retailer?

May 1, 2019, 4:04 p.m.

Does NRG still distribute them?

May 1, 2019, 7:04 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Does NRG still distribute them?

Looks like no Canadian source according to their site.

May 1, 2019, 7:09 p.m.

Posted by: DemonMike

Funny thing is that the CRC pricing I get for 7ipd products isn't great. Plus I actually want to try them on. Anyone know of a local retailer?

Most of the stuff is 30 to 50+% off.

I never tried my 1st set on , I was given a pair from a buddy and they where my size range. 2 yrs later I ordered a 2nd set , one of the most comfortable pads I have used. I also use the wrap around style , not the sock type , for that style I would prefer to try on as well.