Which knee pads are you guys using?

Jan. 6, 2018, 10:42 a.m.

I have some RF Indy knee pads that need to be replaced. I really liked them because they were light & comfy enough that you could wear them for long pedally rides but they also provided adequate protection for crashes. The main downfall was the mesh material which ripped pretty easily. Looking for something similar but hopefully something that won't fall apart as easily. Which knee pads are you guys using for pedally rides?

Jan. 6, 2018, 12:43 p.m.

I picked up some ixs flows. Love em. Don’t even notice they are there

Jan. 6, 2018, 12:46 p.m.

Posted by: KevinP

I picked up some ixs flows. Love em. Don’t even notice they are there

I have the same, no complaints. Light, cool and don't move around. I put them on at the beginning of a ride and take them off at the end.

Jan. 6, 2018, 1:39 p.m.

Dakine slayer or maybe it was hellion, fit pretty well maybe cuz of the asymetrical cut so you got a right & left

Jan. 6, 2018, 4:14 p.m.

https://7protection.com/row/product/flex-knee/

I really like these , they have a similar pair with more shin protection as well .

Jan. 6, 2018, 5:41 p.m.

Still using POC VPD for everything.  Searching for something else.  Any places locally stocking Dainese? Likeing the idea of Trail Skin 2 for pedal heavy rides.

Jan. 6, 2018, 6:19 p.m.

I have ixs flows and they are comfortable and have lasted a long time, but they slipped down my leg in a crash once and same happened to a friend so they aren't perfect.

Jan. 6, 2018, 7:53 p.m.

IXS Carve Evo for me. Great all around knee pad. Comfy and hold their position well (had issues with previous 661 and raceface pads sliding down).

Last edited by: Jeff-M on Jan. 6, 2018, 7:53 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 8, 2018, 12:13 p.m.

I just picked up a pair of IXS Carve Evo the end of last season. Bit more protection than IXS Flow. Only had a few rides with my new pads before winter started, but were comfy to leave on for the whole ride.

Jan. 8, 2018, 1:21 p.m.

I have ixs flow Hans rey (I think the only difference from normal flow is the grey color but not sure). 

They stay up well and I generally forget I even have them on. I was right between L and XL, I bought L and am glad I did. When I first out them on I was sure they were too small, but after a few rides they were perfect. Have had a few awkward low speed crashes riding over features that would have resulted in a limp and bruised up knees for sure and they have done a great job. Also one high speed front wheel slide out that would have cheese gratered my knee and shin for sure and worked great. 

I guess I mean to say try to buy whatever size feels a little too small initially. They will break in. 

Sidenote - I bought mine via Amazon and later noticed Dunbar had them in stock for about the same price. Hate it when I do that!

Jan. 8, 2018, 1:29 p.m.

Posted by: Kenny

I have ixs flow Hans rey (I think the only difference from normal flow is the grey color but not sure). 

They stay up well and I generally forget I even have them on. I was right between L and XL, I bought L and am glad I did. When I first out them on I was sure they were too small, but after a few rides they were perfect. Have had a few awkward low speed crashes riding over features that would have resulted in a limp and bruised up knees for sure and they have done a great job. Also one high speed front wheel slide out that would have cheese gratered my knee and shin for sure and worked great. 

I guess I mean to say try to buy whatever size feels a little too small initially. They will break in. 

Sidenote - I bought mine via Amazon and later noticed Dunbar had them in stock for about the same price. Hate it when I do that!

Nailed it on the sizing advice

Jan. 8, 2018, 6:31 p.m.

Had a pair of RF Indy a few summers ago and had the same tearing issue. Warrantied them and paid the difference to go with the RF Ambush. More protection, can put on/off with shoes on and they stay up really well. Not quite as good as a hard plastic when you are sliding in a crash, but they've worked well enough and aren't showing any signs of wear after 3 full seasons. 

For climbs up to 30 min I just wear them and it's no big deal but I will put them around my top tube or in my pack for long climbs to stay cooler and save the rotation weight ;)

Last edited by: grambo on Jan. 8, 2018, 6:32 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 8, 2018, 10:35 p.m.

Dakine slayers and Race Face flank legs when it's going to get rowdier. The Dakines are a sleeve style so it's important to size for your thigh size as much as anything. The flanks are great because they strap on so there's no messing about with shoes etc

Jan. 9, 2018, 7:36 a.m.

Posted by: stinky_dan

Dakine slayers and Race Face flank legs when it's going to get rowdier. The Dakines are a sleeve style so it's important to size for your thigh size as much as anything. The flanks are great because they strap on so there's no messing about with shoes etc

Have the Slayers, they have really lasted better than anything else.

Mine slide down a bit but no biggie, just adjust before descent.

Jan. 10, 2018, 6:07 a.m.

I've got some ION K-Pact, and they're great - comfy to pedal in, minimal resistance, and very protective (plus no sliding down if you mail the adjustment).