Which knee pads are you guys using?

July 28, 2022, 10:04 a.m.

I popped into Chromag last weekend and they mentioned that they are also working on a set of rift elbowpads which will be cool if they work as well as the kneepads (for me).

July 28, 2022, 3:16 p.m.

Posted by: DanL

I popped into Chromag last weekend and they mentioned that they are also working on a set of rift elbowpads which will be cool if they work as well as the kneepads (for me).

I would 100% be interested in that.  I went for an after work ride on Monday, and for the first time ever I decided to pack my knee pads to the top of the climb, rather than put them on at home (because of the current heat wave).  Getting them on once I was already sweaty proved to be a bit of a challenge. 

I know a couple people in this thread have said that the Rift pads slip around once you get sweaty, but I have never found that to the case at all.  The silicone gripper they use on the sleeves really grab hold of my wet sweaty skin.

I probably won't ever try to put them on after a climb ever again.  It was seriously that much more difficult to put them on.

July 28, 2022, 4:20 p.m.

Posted by: Ride.DMC

Posted by: DanL

I know a couple people in this thread have said that the Rift pads slip around once you get sweaty, but I have never found that to the case at all.  The silicone gripper they use on the sleeves really grab hold of my wet sweaty skin.

I find my Leatts grip better once I've warmed up, the only time they've shifted around is when it's too cold to get a sweat on.

Aug. 19, 2022, 9:32 a.m.

These look really promising - the velcro calf strap like IXS flow, but more side protection:

https://www.boards-more.com/en/ion/products/ion-knee-pads-k-lite-unisex-2022-47220-5919?variant=40669498245320

Aug. 20, 2022, 12:12 a.m.

^dont get them in the zip version

Aug. 20, 2022, 12:04 p.m.

Sethimus knows. Zippers are the marketing depts idea. In practice if the pads are properly tight the zipper is a headache to close, then they break. I was stubborn and stayed with zippers through 3 different brands.

Ion for heavy stuff and IXS for light stuff is the best combo I've personally seen. Ion stays in place so well.

Last edited by: Hepcat on Aug. 20, 2022, 12:05 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 21, 2022, 12:13 a.m.

people only return the zip version, it‘s also itchy they tell me

Aug. 21, 2022, 9:52 a.m.

Anyone know a good shin pad or knee/shin pad that blocks pedal strikes? All the extended knee pads seem to end coverage right where the strike zone starts.

Aug. 21, 2022, 10:05 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Sethimus knows. Zippers are the marketing depts idea. In practice if the pads are properly tight the zipper is a headache to close, then they break. I was stubborn and stayed with zippers through 3 different brands.

Ion for heavy stuff and IXS for light stuff is the best combo I've personally seen. Ion stays in place so well.

Makes sense. I'd avoided ixs flow zip assuming the zippers must negatively impact either durability, comfort, or both. 

Will probably try the ion once my flows disintegrate.

Last edited by: Kenny on Aug. 21, 2022, 10:13 a.m., edited 1 time in total.