Which 6" AM Bike Should I Get?

Jan. 23, 2011, 5:22 p.m.

My vote would be for a new Enduro if you have the money, or if are more on a buget, check out the pitch,. They are both awesome bikes, real fun to ride too. The Pitch is a downhillers XC/ AM bike.

If you want something more unique, check out the Lappierre Zesty or Spicy.

Jan. 23, 2011, 7:23 p.m.

sx-trail. color coded van's up front..

To each his own, for me that is 100% FUGLY! Also, not much of an AM bike with no front derailleur (in my opinion).

As IFO would say: no sale!

Jan. 23, 2011, 8:02 p.m.

Yeah, you just gotta try them all. sometimes its not just the bike, its where you buy it. If you're gunna fork out big coin for a bike then the shop should support you well.

right now I think the best bang for buck is Giant and Specialized stuff. The new Slayer looks pretty slick too.

btw. I own a Cove G-spot. and they are not too heavy for their intended purpose. Perfect fromme bike imo.

Jan. 23, 2011, 8:10 p.m.

Pivot's Mach 5.7 (Dave Weagle linkage)

here's my ride, 08 Reign X1. Beefy at 37 lbs. Climbs well though IMO.

Studio B Fine Art and Photographic Prints

Jan. 23, 2011, 8:30 p.m.

The Slayer is a killer Fromme bike. The 2011 has a slightly steeper seat angle so I'm not sure how this will affect downhilling. 2010 and older are basically downhill-AM hybrids, so they are decent, though not overwhelmingly great, climbers. Build quality is great, and hey, you will be buying local.

No, I don't work for RM.

I do work for RM, so I'm obviously biased. I can however shed some light on the advantages of the steeper seat tube. It gives a more efficient seat tube angle while the shock is compressed under the rider's weight, thus putting you in a better pedaling position over the bb. It also keeps the seat a little bit more forward when slammed, so that it's not it the way while rolling down steeper terrain. lastly, the effective top tube length isn't as drastically changed when raising or lowering the seat. I haven't ridden the new Slayer yet, but the Altitude has this feature and I found it made huge difference in all types of terrain.

Jan. 23, 2011, 8:41 p.m.

Transitions Tr250 was one of those bikes ,i was thinking looked real solid and fun.Does anyone own one? When Bryan Big hitter first posted pics , i thought omg. It is not as slack as it's bigger brother .
Hard to beat the Spech,and Giant offerings . Quit teasing us and get something that kicks ass.

"Looks like a Canoe with the seats kicked out of it !"

Jan. 23, 2011, 8:48 p.m.

I do work for RM, so I'm obviously biased. I can however shed some light on the advantages of the steeper seat tube. It gives a more efficient seat tube angle while the shock is compressed under the rider's weight, thus putting you in a better pedaling position over the bb. It also keeps the seat a little bit more forward when slammed, so that it's not it the way while rolling down steeper terrain. lastly, the effective top tube length isn't as drastically changed when raising or lowering the seat. I haven't ridden the new Slayer yet, but the Altitude has this feature and I found it made huge difference in all types of terrain.

ADS really learned the lesson that a small change in seat position can make on his maiden voyage. He couldn't keep the front end on the ground while climbing, so I moved his seat forward just 10mm, and he then climbed with little problem. Now imagine that seat position in the extended position was considered at the design level, and that's essentially what Rocky has done.

Jan. 23, 2011, 8:52 p.m.

what about the coilair i did a little demo of a 2010 and it was so nice. It sits up real nice for the climb and when you drop the saddle is a 180mm dh beast and its priced well $3499 list and it also comes with the new 180mm fox fork… this is the bike im looking at it tops my list now if only i can find the funds to make it happen

RIDE BIKES
:canada:

Jan. 23, 2011, 9:08 p.m.

Also, not much of an AM bike with no front derailleur (in my opinion).

As IFO would say: no sale!

that bike has a front derailleur. more FR than AM imo.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Jan. 23, 2011, 10:13 p.m.

Some great advice here. Thanks for sharing! Definitely have to spend a weekend going to all the shops and taking everything for a rip. So far my list would be:

- Enduro Evo
- Knolly
- Giant Reign
- Nomad (or maybe Butcher?)

Depending how they feel I'd have to see what parts specs work for the price too.

Attending UC Santa Cruz, College Eight.

Spy Optic

Jan. 23, 2011, 10:24 p.m.

No regrets about my Trek Remedy, season 3 with it and no problems, great climber. I tend to keep one wheel on the ground at all times though, so although I'm almost 200lbs I am pretty easy on the bike I think.

Jan. 24, 2011, 12:11 a.m.

ADS really learned the lesson that a small change in seat position can make on his maiden voyage. He couldn't keep the front end on the ground while climbing, so I moved his seat forward just 10mm, and he then climbed with little problem. Now imagine that seat position in the extended position was considered at the design level, and that's essentially what Rocky has done.

It's true. Tweaking the saddle 10mm forward made the difference between my front end wanting to come up on the climb and really enjoyable stable climbing. I was pretty shocked actually.

Jan. 24, 2011, 8:41 a.m.

I've owned a pair of Santa Cruz Nomad's (1st gen and 2nd gen), have a Giant Reign, and recently obtained a Norco Range 1. My personal preference is the Range of the three, it climbs better than the other two, and descends just as well if not better. As mentioned before, when pointed downhill the Range has an uncanny ability of adsorbing bumps of all sizes with ease. The Range 1 comes entirely air sprung, but I'm thinking I'm going to change it to coils on both ends. If you can find a Range for sale I'd definitely put it on your list to consider.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

Jan. 24, 2011, 9:07 a.m.

My vote would be for a new Enduro if you have the money, or if are more on a buget, check out the pitch,. They are both awesome bikes, real fun to ride too. The Pitch is a downhillers XC/ AM bike.

I've been riding my Pitch Pro for a year and a half. I'm big (6'1" 235) so it is "near" it's limit, although i have yet to find the limit. If it had a bigger front fork, i'm not a fan of 32mm stanchions, it would be awesome. That said the stock fork has yet to let me down ( unreal for a rock shox product.;-) ) I've ridden it on the shore (severed, pangor, exicutioner to dream weaver and then the ussual bridal to lower CB to stick and stones etc…) I've given it plenty of 2 hr bitch slappings and never a complaint.It was BRILLIANT in the Chillys last summer.Climbs fantasticly and as mentioned DH's like a mofo. While i did say get a Slayer, that was a money no object proposition. My best friend has one and now he can keep up to me (zing). The only 2 problems with it that i can see are that it is $5K and everyone will want to pee on your bike cuz they'll hate you for having such a nice ride. The Pitch is 1/2 the price and it hauls ass.oh and no one will pee on your bike. ;-)

Is it counter productive to ride on my exercise bike with a cocktail in hand?

Jan. 24, 2011, 11:11 a.m.

Considering you gave no budget limit that is like saying what kind of car should i get for driving? Well can you afford a ferrari or only a ford? If you can get something high quality then do! Knolly chilcotin (built between 27lbs light and 33-34lbs heavy) or a delirium (32lbs light to 40lbs heavy) Or something else like a carbon nomad has way higher manufacturing tolerances and quality procedures than a norco or kona which is going to result in a longer lasting more durable bicycle providing more fun for you on the trails every time you go out.

Do like sharon said, go ride everything and buy what fits for you and your riding style. Not what anybody on here says that you have to get because they have had it for years and love it.

www.knollybikes.com

:canada: