When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants...

June 30, 2022, 10:07 p.m.

It's for fun.

Background:

Although I primarily ride in shants, I've been a long-time long-pant-riding devotee in colder/wetter contions:  I've had several pairs of both Roach (although sadly not superfly) and Race Face Indys, and a pair of Endura Venturi II's made from eVent.  I call the latter ones my magic pants because they seemed to keep me dry in ANY conditions.  Although the eVent is ultra-waterproof and breathable it has one huge disandvantage:  No strech and very crinkly.

I'm also a huge fan of Schoeller's various waterproof/breathable soft-shell materials(Dryskin/3xDry).  I've had a ancient pair of Ibex Dryskin XC-ski shants that work pretty well for riding (pocket placement is the main drawback) and have a couple Schoeller jackets from long-defunct manufacturers that I originally got for doing trail-work but came to appreciate for riding on cooler days as well.   

With the current pantaloni renaissance we seem to be enjoying, I am getting a little curious to try some new-age riding pants.  Note that I'm looking for heavier-weight waterproof fall/winter/spring pants, not the lightweight summer pants that have been recently discussed.

Requirements:

* Waterproof

* At least eVent levels of breathability

* Stretchy

* Abrasion Resistant

* Riding position cut

* 34" inseam

Bonus points for:

* If I can find them cheap

* Some form of retention to prevent ride-up and keep the cuffs anchored over high-tops, ideally a lace hook.  I'd also accept a gaitor-esque under-sole strap/lace/shock cord.

In my experience, the gold standard for shorts in terms of cut, fit, and pocket placement are the first-generation made-in-Van Kitsbow Softshell A/M.  In a perfect world, I'd love a pair of these as pants.  

The Haskells they currently make are only water-resistant,too chino-cut (legs especially), and have rear pockets with flaps.  Meh.

45NRTH Naughtvind jackets are Schoeller, but they don't seem to mention anywhere if their pants are.  The vent design is downright goofy (and seems excessively over-done for pants meant for cold weather.)

Foehn Tobin are Schoeller, have a nice looking cut, a little Quebecois je ne sais quoi (although they're stitched in Vietnam)...but...they've got perforations behind the knees!  Kiss the waterproofness good-bye!  Uggh moist knee-pits!  Plus, they're only available in a max 32in inseam.

Foehn Brise might actually be more like what I want, except I think the taper starts a lot higher up and as a result they probably won't leave any room for even minimalist knee pads.

Hmm... seems I've reached the limit for pic links.  To be continued...

June 30, 2022, 10:13 p.m.

Foehn Brise might actually be more like what I want, except I think the taper starts a lot higher up and as a result they probably won't leave any room for even minimalist knee pads.

Dakine Thrillium are (were?) made with Shoeller, have a nice looking cut...but they laser perforated pretty much anywhere that strangers shouldn't touch you.  

I think that leaves the NF BERZERKER V2.  They definitely got more appealing with the introduction of the longer inseams.  How is the waterproofness of them though?  Anyone got experience with both them and Schoeller?

Are the new NF Berzerkers the best pantaloons out there?  Any other options I've overlooked?

July 1, 2022, 9:34 p.m.

I use Berzerkers for fatbiking. Definitely water resistant. Definitely not totally waterproof. Warmth feels just right - if I need more than those pants plus a base layer, I’d be seriously questioning whether or not I’d want to be on a bike anyway.

July 3, 2022, 4:27 p.m.

I seem to recall people on here claiming the Bezerkers are a hot pant. I use the DP3 in the woods and also for short wet/cold rides on the road with a 7Mesh jacket. ("Rate my baggy fit")

7Mesh has their GTX pant that comes super long so you trim the legs to length... 

Leatt MTB AM 5.0 or MTB Enduro 3.0 pant

Patagonia Dirt Roamer Storm Pant. (specs say 3L)

Rapha Trail Pant (I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop a weather pant in the fall/winter and continue to kill it)

Norrøna Fjørå dri1 pant (I have a pair of the Fjørå dri3 shorts and they're a 3L short for the wet days.  Have mesh lined vents to dump heat) 

I'd invest in a good set of full fenders like a RRP ProGuard or DeFender + a rear wrap one + SKS Downtube quick release fender.

July 4, 2022, 2:28 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Rapha Trail Pant (I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop a weather pant in the fall/winter and continue to kill it)

wasn’t one in the 2 year advance time line i saw before i left. there will be a gore tex jacket though. in the road segment they usually focus on jackets only, there was only the shadow pant so far, which was not that water proof

Last edited by: Sethimus on July 4, 2022, 2:30 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 4, 2022, 9:51 p.m.

7Mesh has their GTX pant that comes super long so you trim the legs to length...

Leatt MTB AM 5.0 or MTB Enduro 3.0 pant

Patagonia Dirt Roamer Storm Pant. (specs say 3L)

Norrøna Fjørå dri1 pant (I have a pair of the Fjørå dri3 shorts and they're a 3L short for the wet days. Have mesh lined vents to dump heat)

I'd invest in a good set of full fenders like a RRP ProGuard or DeFender + a rear wrap one + SKS Downtube quick release fender.

I was all set to call you out for bringing a bunch of hard shells to this stretchy pants cage match, but then I took a closer look at the Leatts and damn if both options don't check almost all of the boxes! The AM 5.0s are probably closer to what I'd like. I'm seeing mixed reports on the inseam though. First I saw a 33.5" inseam which would be pretty close to my ideal of 34, but then another size chart lists them as maxing out at 32".

Pic of the Leatt AM 5.0s for thread completeness:After posting, I actually stumbled across a deal that I'm afraid is too good to be true on a pair of pants that are completely different from anything listed so far. I've placed an order but no shipping confirmation yet. Once I know they're definitely en-route, I'll spill the beans!

July 4, 2022, 9:58 p.m.

I seem to recall people on here claiming the Bezerkers are a hot pant.

they are warm & cozy; great for cooler fall / winter temps, but when it gets over 10 degrees or so, the dp3's come out.

July 5, 2022, 9:08 a.m.

I have both of those Leatt pants. The Enduro 3.0 has more stretch to the material, but it doesn't have a full waterproof membrane, I wore this pant all winter up to the end of May. The AM 5.0 is fully waterproof, so I save it for the rides that require real weather protection, it is definately a warmer pant, but the vents work well. I have the same size in both pants, they compensate for the less stretchy material in the AM 5.0 with a slightly looser fit, but I can't use the leg pockets on it, because they are internal (external on the End3.0). It's not an issue, there are 3 other pockets on the AM, plus you will be wearing a jacket when these pants are required.

Was never a pant guy until this winter, always did all my winter riding in shorts. I am a complete convert, there will always be a pair of quality pants in my riding quiver from now on.

July 5, 2022, 6:07 p.m.

Posted by: TonyJ

I have both of those Leatt pants. The Enduro 3.0 has more stretch to the material, but it doesn't have a full waterproof membrane, I wore this pant all winter up to the end of May. The AM 5.0 is fully waterproof, so I save it for the rides that require real weather protection, it is definately a warmer pant, but the vents work well. I have the same size in both pants, they compensate for the less stretchy material in the AM 5.0 with a slightly looser fit, but I can't use the leg pockets on it, because they are internal (external on the End3.0). It's not an issue, there are 3 other pockets on the AM, plus you will be wearing a jacket when these pants are required.

Was never a pant guy until this winter, always did all my winter riding in shorts. I am a complete convert, there will always be a pair of quality pants in my riding quiver from now on.

Further research into the AM 5.0s seems to suggest that the main body is more hard shell with almost all of the stretch coming from a soft shell panel in the butt.  Would you say that's the case?  How much hard shell rustling do they exhibit?

July 6, 2022, 12:50 p.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

I seem to recall people on here claiming the Bezerkers are a hot pant.

they are warm & cozy; great for cooler fall / winter temps, but when it gets over 10 degrees or so, the dp3's come out.

I get hot enough in the dp3s and below 10ºC is getting into sled/snow sliding temp range. 

Also is the Leatt MTB 4.0 Pant. ¯\(ツ)

July 7, 2022, 8:10 a.m.

does anyone make pants in longer inseams. I am yet to see any much longer than a 32 which would be halfway up my shins.....

July 7, 2022, 8:27 a.m.

Posted by: MaxRockatansky

does anyone make pants in longer inseams. I am yet to see any much longer than a 32 which would be halfway up my shins.....

I have RF pants and Endura pants. I can't wear 32" inseam pants and usually shop for 34" inseam pants. These MTB pants go down to my shoes and bunch up a little when I am standing and fit perfect on the bike.

July 7, 2022, 11:03 a.m.

Posted by: MaxRockatansky

The new NF DP4 pant and 7Mesh Thunder pant

July 11, 2022, 4:50 p.m.

Posted by: WeTYC...

Posted by: TonyJ

Further research into the AM 5.0s seems to suggest that the main body is more hard shell with almost all of the stretch coming from a soft shell panel in the butt.  Would you say that's the case?  How much hard shell rustling do they exhibit?

The AM5.0 are actually a hard panel in the butt (wear zone), they are stretch in the other areas, but not as much stretch as the non-waterproof Enduro pant because of the membrane. The Enduro has a waterproof panel in the butt and has much more stretch overall.

The "hard-shell rustling" has never bothered me, but that could be because it just doesn't bother me.

July 14, 2022, 9:53 p.m.

So my "too good to be true" pants turned out to be a scam.  PayPal refunded though so I didn't lose on the gamble.

A little bummed though as they were an intriguing option.  10000/10000 waterproofness/breathability, "4-way" stretch soft-shell.  Schoeffel Tree Run Hybrid from Germany (scam site was allegedly a US-based dealer)

One more for thread completeness: IXS Carve AW look like they'd check a lot of the boxes, but I can't find length information anywhere and the hems look like they would be too small to slip over my boots even if they were long enough.