When to replace chain..

March 1, 2016, 5:42 p.m.

Im wonder how many of you measure there chain wear with park tool or filzer version type tools and
At what wear percentage do you replace your chains?
Cheers

March 1, 2016, 5:57 p.m.

I use the filzer tool (cheap). I usually replace if I can force the tool down on the .75 side, maybe even a bit sooner. I've had some good luck getting a full year and then some on xtr cassettes. I put a lot of miles on so that's many many chains (maybe ten or more). I'm now on the new XT and I'm on chain 3 and so far so good. I try to stay out of the aluminum 42 as best I can, however :-)

March 1, 2016, 5:59 p.m.

I prefer a steel ruler. Replace at 12 1/16. I have a couple chain measuring tools but the chain will be too far gone if I used the tool guidelines and cassette and rings would need replacement too. At 12 1/16 I can do three chains to one drivetrain although sometimes one of the rings or a single ring will need replacement sooner.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

March 1, 2016, 6:52 p.m.

Thanks I'm going to try two chain trick. Monthly alternating back forth between two identical chains new at the same time.

March 1, 2016, 9:31 p.m.

Replace at .50 to preserve chainrings and cassette. Follow that rule and your drivetrain will last a long time.

March 3, 2016, 8:13 a.m.

Dang my chain was closer to 70 Hopefully my cassette is ok.
I have a new. 22/34 dual oval chainring set coming.

March 3, 2016, 2:18 p.m.

Wait…you guys replace your chains? Hmm. I might have to rethink my maintenance plan.

March 3, 2016, 2:26 p.m.

I have and use a Park chain gauge.

Just noticed they've changed the replace from ~1.0 to ~0.75

Since I've had it a long time I'm guessing mine is at 1.0

March 3, 2016, 5:19 p.m.

Replace at .50 to preserve chainrings and cassette. Follow that rule and your drivetrain will last a long time.

What's a long time? And if you follow that how often to you find you're replacing chains and how frequently do you check your chain?

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm actually interested in the answer.

March 3, 2016, 5:32 p.m.

What's a long time? And if you follow that how often to you find you're replacing chains and how frequently do you check your chain?

I change my chain at least 2x a season. Same cassette can last multiple seasons. Chainrings are hard to gauge as I experiment do much with different gear ratios. I also run XTR cassettes so sacrificing a few chains over the life of the drivetrain is money well spent.

March 16, 2016, 8:16 a.m.

Lol I changed my chain , actually bought two plan on alternating every other month.
First ride out the bearings in my hope free hub blew up.
Got home home found a godawfull mess inside . 2 of 3 bearings disintegrated . New free hub in order as it was damaged . It's all back together now and working fine. Phew

March 17, 2016, 7:15 p.m.

Check every 2 weeks or so. Replace once or twice per year. Chains are consumables and are a lot cheaper to replace than an entire drive train. The other school of thought is to ride it till it dies and then replace the whole works.

March 18, 2016, 6:08 a.m.

Check every 2 weeks or so. Replace once or twice per year. Chains are consumables and are a lot cheaper to replace than an entire drive train. The other school of thought is to ride it till it dies and then replace the whole works.

The ride it till it dies philosophy is great if you like a drivetrain that performs like shit and could fail at an inopportune time… don't be cheap people.

March 18, 2016, 7:20 a.m.

how often are you riding when you check ever 2 weeks, how many km's?

I've been guilty of treating my 2x10 drivetrain like chit in the past but now that I'm trying out a 1x system (still not sold on it, but whatever) and a cassette costs a ridiculous amount I'm thinking I should start checking for chain stretch more often.

March 18, 2016, 11:58 a.m.

The ride it till it dies philosophy is great if you like a drivetrain that performs like shit and could fail at an inopportune time… don't be cheap people.

Agreed. Also if you damage the old chain early in it's life of ride until dead, you may be replacing the entire drivetrain earlier that you had hoped for. I do two or three chains per drivetrain and it seems to last a season, season and a half. But single ring systems seem to need a new ring along with a chain.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.