Wheel Nerds: Nipple Question

May 19, 2011, 7:22 a.m.

Why do I keep tearing nipples out? EX500 on 340 hubs, aluminum nipples, factory (machine) built.

I've torn 3 right out of the rim, without any extreme loading of the wheel. I've also had the same wheelset in previous seasons and never had an issue.

Don't want an ongoing problem, what are my options?

May 19, 2011, 9:05 a.m.

aluminum nipples, factory (machine) built.

there's your answer

tear it down and rebuild by hand with brass nipples, problem solved

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 19, 2011, 9:17 a.m.

factory (machine) built.?

i'd just go with that. aluminium (said w/ english accent) is fine if built w/ skilled meat hands.

May 19, 2011, 9:46 a.m.

tee hee… you said nipple.

:nerd:

May 19, 2011, 9:48 a.m.

i'd just go with that. aluminium (said w/ english accent) is fine if built w/ skilled meat hands.

Aluminum Absolutely! (rolling weight on the outside of the wheel!)

IF:

1) You get your wheel built by someone that knows what they are doing (it may be you!)

2) You have your wheel maintained by someone that knows what they are doing (it may be you!)

Specifically, depending on the product used between the threads and nipples (spoke prep, linseed, loctite, grease) you may have lube the nipples (yeah, yeah) before truing and tensioning (where people strip/crack nipples).

Machine built; it's gotta be brass. Even then you should have the wheel tensioned, by someone who knows what they are doing, before you ever ride it (most good shops do this as part of building a bike).

-D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

May 19, 2011, 9:58 a.m.

If you keep tearing nipples out, it sounds like the spokes may be over, or unbalanced tension. Throw a tensionometer on it and check. I have found many machine built wheels will have pairs of spokes that one is under tensioned and the next over tensioned to compensate.

May 19, 2011, 10:54 a.m.

I don't get it. All this extra hassle so you can save ~40g over two wheels?

http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Components/Nipples.aspx

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 19, 2011, 11:39 a.m.

the pretty anodized colors is a huge factor for me.

and there is no hassle over brass. build process is identical. never used anything but alu, and never had a problem.

May 19, 2011, 11:39 a.m.

http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Components/Nipples.aspx

Correct. If we have to explain it then you will never get it. :dizzy:

I don't run Aluminum nipples anymore, actually run the longer brass ones on Revolutions instead. 2 years on 721's (3rd season now) and have only lost one spoke…Which is now a very out of place stainless horrifically fat straight gauge thing from Silverstar.

May 19, 2011, 1:09 p.m.

Throw a tensionometer on it and check.

lol. yeah, even my little sister has her own tensionometer! ;)

Sustainable will be around forever.

May 19, 2011, 1:09 p.m.

Why do I keep tearing nipples out? EX500 on 340 hubs, aluminum nipples, factory (machine) built.

I've torn 3 right out of the rim

What exactly is failing? The nipple is deforming/cracking and pulling through? Or the rim eyelets are pulling out?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 19, 2011, 1:31 p.m.

I'm not 100% sure about what the issue is with machine built wheels. For high end wheels (read MSRP [HTML_REMOVED] 100$) where I worked they all went through the machine which gets them super close super fast, then are worked over by hand to finish. Wheel building still involves prep and stressing the spokes and all that jaz. Was done by a guy with 20 years experience JUST building wheels.

May 19, 2011, 1:41 p.m.

is it a stock santa cruz wheelset?
in my limited experience (about 10 SC bikes between myself, wifey, and friends) the nipples tend to break easily. never had a problem with alum nips with hand-built wheels. i don't think the nipples are the problem, more likely the build.

May 20, 2011, 6:11 a.m.

You say that they are coming through the rim? That's the rim not the nipples. I always use brass nips, but they'll tear through the rim as well. I think you're built way too tight or the rim is bunko.

www.northshorebillet.com

May 20, 2011, 9:18 a.m.

is it a stock santa cruz wheelset?
in my limited experience (about 10 SC bikes between myself, wifey, and friends) the nipples tend to break easily. never had a problem with alum nips with hand-built wheels. i don't think the nipples are the problem, more likely the build.

Yup. Nipples snapping inside the rim. Had a pile of SC bikes too, first time with this issue. Going to spend some time with a coffee and a spoke wrench this morning.